77 Fj40 rear bed help (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
So I bought my fj40 in pieces. Working on the rear bed. Does anyone have measurements on the exact location of where the support goes marked with the X?

Also what are these mounts for that I have circled? Current floor pan doesn’t have those mounts. Thanks in advance.

IMG_7757.jpeg

Which measurement do you need? Unless I'm mistaken, that cross member lines up with the chassis mount holes.

Are the other brackets for an extended range fuel tank?

Which measurement do you need? Unless I'm mistaken, that cross member lines up with the chassis mount holes.

Are the other brackets for an extended range fuel tank?
Basically just want to make sure I get that bed support (marked with red X) in the right spot. So rough estimate. It looks fairly centered but if someone had measurements then I was going to go with that vs an educated guess.

It may be a little more work but I think that support also is used for connection to a body mount to the chassis. How about putting the support and body mount in place, then mock up the rest of the tub and see how things align. Might get a better placement.

Depending on where you are the heat defuser helps from making your cruiser an oven on wheels. Lol. But if you’re on the northern half of the us you should be alright.

What year is the cruiser. 1/75 exhaust changed and heat shields (2) were added up to 1/79. Late 71 to 1/75 exhaust had heat shield clamped directly to the muffler. Prior to late 71 there were no heat shields.
Directly to muffler heat shield.
IMG_20210524_134353651.jpg

1/75+ muffler heat shield.
IMG_20201105_132205898.jpg

1/75-1/79 heat shield above the exhaust right after skid plate.
IMG_20201105_132154731.jpg

1/79 exhaust was routed outside the frame then back under. There were different heat shields used. The picture of the floor above is for a 78 model or older.

Depending on where you are the heat defuser helps from making your cruiser an oven on wheels. Lol. But if you’re on the northern half of the us you should be alright.

Toyota may have run exhaust above the transmission skid plate some time in the 1960s but I'm not convinced. Would think anywhere in the lower 48 states there are times during the year exhaust close to the floor without any type of heat would be warm if not hot. When I bought my 68 lived in Flagstaff. That was in the 1970s when it wasn't as warm. Even then it was hot in the summer. The lack of ventilation out the back didn't help.

@cruiserboy14 I sent you a PM about parts.

What year is the cruiser. 1/75 exhaust changed and heat shields (2) were added up to 1/79. Late 71 to 1/75 exhaust had heat shield clamped directly to the muffler. Prior to late 71 there were no heat shields.
Directly to muffler heat shield.
View attachment 3476190
1/75+ muffler heat shield.
View attachment 3476191
1/75-1/79 heat shield above the exhaust right after skid plate.
View attachment 3476193
1/79 exhaust was routed outside the frame then back under. There were different heat shields used. The picture of the floor above is for a 78 model or older.
It’s a 77. Didn’t even think about it being exhaust shield mounts. Either way that’s good reason to add those in case I run my exhaust in that area. Wish I could go pure purist on all this but my project came with to many mistakes I think to afford a purist bill.

Thanks for sharing.

My April of ‘80 build has a heat shield there for when the exhaust was routed out the PS rear.
PO routed it out behind the DS tire.

I actually happen to have that heat shield with me while I am on the road traveling for work.
Took it off to install 3-point belts in the back and figured I’d refresh it while I’m getting paid to do something else.

As for the x bar support, this might help you get it in the neighborhood: Bench Seat Installation '79 - '84 FJ40 & BJ40 - https://www.coolcruisers.com/besein7984fj.html
These instructions locate a tack weld at the rear of that support.

My April of ‘80 build has a heat shield there for when the exhaust was routed out the PS rear.
PO routed it out behind the DS tire.

I actually happen to have that heat shield with me while I am on the road traveling for work.
Took it off to install 3-point belts in the back and figured I’d refresh it while I’m getting paid to do something else.

As for the x bar support, this might help you get it in the neighborhood: Bench Seat Installation '79 - '84 FJ40 & BJ40 - https://www.coolcruisers.com/besein7984fj.html
These instructions locate a tack weld at the rear of that support.
Huge help. Thank you. That puts it smack in the middle which is where I wanted it but good to know I’ll be same as factory.

Thanks everyone for you help. My questions have been answered.

Huge help. Thank you. That puts it smack in the middle which is where I wanted it but good to know I’ll be same as factory.

Thanks everyone for you help. My questions have been answered.

Not sure on any differences in hole location but tub and frame changed 1/79. I know you can't switch tubs without mods on the other range frame.

Not sure on any differences in hole location but tub and frame changed 1/79. I know you can't switch tubs without mods on the other range frame.
I figured this may help to get him in the general area. The instructions for earlier tub just call for using the existing holes in the tub which appear further forward.

Seems he has a menagerie of stuff/parts to deal with in any case.

I'm in Minnesota and considering having mine completely chrome plated to help with the albedo.

I don't know if that actually helps or not.

I'm in Minnesota and considering having mine completely chrome plated to help with the albedo.

I don't know if that actually helps or not.
Having the whole truck chrome plated?
That might not have the desired effect.

You'd reduce your absorptivity, but reduce your emissivity even more. That's why a fork on the picnic table gets red hot.

Fit a roof rack / solar panel on the roof to get it into the shade?

I figured this may help to get him in the general area. The instructions for earlier tub just call for using the existing holes in the tub which appear further forward.

Seems he has a menagerie of stuff/parts to deal with in any case.
That’s correct. I am basically building my own tub from the firewall back. Previous owner bought/sourced new panels but didn’t do it in sections. But also why I got a good deal. Replacement panels were mix and matched from every model year imaginable. But been a fun project as I’ve learn so much about the differences between each model change and what fits and what does and why. Plus I can get some weld through primer in my seams and hopefully have a bondo free tub that will outlast me. 🤞Hopefully as close to original as possible.

Having the whole truck chrome plated?
That might not have the desired effect.

You'd reduce your absorptivity, but reduce your emissivity even more. That's why a fork on the picnic table gets red hot.

Fit a roof rack / solar panel on the roof to get it into the shade?

The heat shields....

The heat shields....
Ahh That makes more sense.
(Except there's no solar radiation impingent upon it).

Probably more effective to chrome plate or polish the exhaust to reduce its emissivity. Or wrap it in glass tape.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom