First 10 minutes with ‘new’ ‘64….and this happened (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

sleepycruiser

I will get by….I will survive -Touch of Grey LC200
Threads
I literally had it parked for 10 minutes in my driveway checking the lights to see what worked, etc. Drove down to the bottom of my driveway…brakes felt suspect, but stopped…maybe that is drum brakes?

Anyway, started smoking/steaming. I unhooked the battery in case it was electrical…but seems like the radiator maybe. The radiator was 240 degrees plus…the hoses were super hot. Also a bolt on top of the engine that seemed to be slightly steaming as well. Didn’t get a pic of that.

Also when I turned the key off the engine stayed on and I had to pull the throttle knob out to get it to turn off.

I might puke.

IMG_3760.jpeg

Last edited:
It should be still under warranty. 🤔

No seriously, does it have enough coolant?

It should be still under warranty. 🤔

No seriously, does it have enough coolant?
I’ll check tomorrow. It smelled like when you have water in the radiator, not coolant. Should I use green coolant?

I have basic cheapo coolant in my ‘40. It’s an F - I don’t think it cares.

I literally had it parked for 10 minutes in my driveway checking the lights to see what worked, etc. Drove down to the bottom of my driveway…brakes felt suspect, but stopped…maybe that is drum brakes?

Anyway, started smoking/steaming. I unhooked the battery in case it was electrical…but seems like the radiator maybe. The radiator was 240 degrees plus…the hoses were super hot. Also a bolt on top of the engine that seemed to be slightly steaming as well. Didn’t get a pic of that.

Also when I turned the key off the engine stayed on and I had to pull the throttle knob out to get it to turn off.

I might puke.

View attachment 3615087

She’s just testing you to see if you are ready for a 40.

1st inspect for a blown hose or something. To diagnose the problem I would not put a/f in it. I try to avoid tap water because it has too many impurities in it. You can go the grocery store and buy distilled water for cheap, probably 4+ gallons. If the leak doesn't show itself just by adding water, you can borrow a rad pressure tester at an autopartsstore. Once it's fixed then add a 50/50 mix of distilled water and a/f.

She’s just testing you to see if you are ready for a 40.
FJ -1
Me - 0

I’m just disheartened as it was sold to me as ‘ready to go’ and ‘wouldn’t hesitate to take it anywhere’. Meanwhile I literally drove it 50 feet. Blinkers don’t work (probably easy fix), brakes feel funny (drum brakes, felt iffy going down my driveway), it won’t ’turn off’ (ignition cylinder maybe?), and the radiator stuff. I’ll check everything out today under a (hopefully) less frustrated mindset.

Don't get down. You are in good company.
These old trucks can be quite ornery. They have a way of biting you on the butt just to show you who is in charge. (Hint: it isn't you).

Don't get down. You are in good company.
These old trucks can be quite ornery. They have a way of biting you on the butt just to show you who is in charge. (Hint: it isn't you).
Thanks. Just put 2 gallons of water in it and still not full. I’ve got to stop and get some more. I found a leak…believe it is the bottom of the radiator. Lower hose connection looks fine.

FJ -1
Me - 0

I’m just disheartened as it was sold to me as ‘ready to go’ and ‘wouldn’t hesitate to take it anywhere’. Meanwhile I literally drove it 50 feet. Blinkers don’t work (probably easy fix), brakes feel funny (drum brakes, felt iffy going down my driveway), it won’t ’turn off’ (ignition cylinder maybe?), and the radiator stuff. I’ll check everything out today under a (hopefully) less frustrated mindset.
Grab a digital copy of an FSM and start with one bite at a time.

Damn, Son! You need to get on the horn and call the sorry sumbitch who sold it to you and tell him WTF Dude! I know I ain't getting my money back, but least you can do is help me figure this clusterfuck out! Sheesh.

Damn, Son! You need to get on the horn and call the sorry sumbitch who sold it to you and tell him WTF Dude! I know I ain't getting my money back, but least you can do is help me figure this clusterfuck out! Sheesh.

I understand the sentiment, but that isn’t my way. I’m letting the seller know what’s going on and hopefully we can work something out.

Back in the day airlines tried to keep the planes in the air, they break more often when they just sit on the ground.

So your 50 year old rig has a hick-up; look at all the brand new crap that's recalled while on the lot.

Did you see the latest GM? fuel injector leak fix - they install a tube so it pees gasoline on the ground (where is the EPA on this fix?) instead of on the engine and then the computer disables the vehicle.

Yeah thats annoying about the issues after you purchased your 1964. when I purchased my fj80 a brake line broke and the rear pinion seal gave up on the drive home. I will say I tried taking an untested 1991 300 miles back home. fixed it and it was all fine after that. I feel like old vehicles like to test new owners.

Looks like you have the correct engine at least. the old f 135 is really cool.

Did you test drive it before you bought it? Seems like it would have done this on a test drive.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom