1979 body tub from China (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

10/82 the H55F five started in some 40 series, because of that the front of the hump and inspection cover changed shape. This was in in all models including the long wheel base which never had the H55F option. The 1/79+ A pillar was harder to replace a 3/4 tub. The change in the hump adds to that.

The H42 and H41 still used a cast iron top plate. The H55F started 10/82 and those the top cover was made out of aluminum. While not as shinny this is what the top cover for the H55F had in the 40 series.
View attachment 2954624View attachment 2954627

what production date John ,

did the H42 and H41 update to the Aluminum shift tower ?

what production date John ,

did the H42 and H41 update to the Aluminum shift tower ?

The H41 and H42 top plate remained cast iron in the 40 series until the end of the production. The 60 series and then the 70 series with the shift tower further back was always made from aluminum on the H41 and H42. The H55F started in 10/82 (83 model) and was always made from aluminum in both the 40 series and 60/70 series versions.

H41 and H42 four speed top covers can interchange from the 74 model thru the production. For those changing to a V8 in a 40 series the aluminum version moves the shifter back and prevents it from coming up in the bottom of the heater. Find one of our H42s from a 4/85-7/87 FJ60 and can use the main cast housing to move the transfer shifter back as well.

Hi everyone. I found a really good looking body tub from China through Alibaba.com, and through communication found out that it would cost 6400.00 picked up at port. Does this sound like a fair deal? Obviously, I would have to pony up having it shipped to my house. I guess the first question is, has anybody else done this? If so, any advice on what to expect as far as quality and fit of the tub, and overall experience would be Greatly appreciated. At the moment, I’m out of commission doing anything due to rotator cuff surgery, but the original plan was to just patch up my original body tub. Patch up is probably not the best term, since rebuilding is more accurate. My only other options are obviously Aqualu and Gozzard. CCOT and Colombian tubs are not really an option I don’t think. Thanks all.
Their thickness is not the original. The original gauge is 18 cal as all panels we manufacture

their tickness is 1.2 mm...18 gauge...mesured on their part by a friend who import somes of their parts...

their tickness is 1.2 mm...18 gauge...mesured on their part by a friend who import somes of their parts...
This is exactly what answered to me another European vendor.

try asking www.lrc.eu about thoses parts. luc and robbie are nice guys !

their thickness is 1.2 mm...18 gauge...mesured on their part by a friend who import somes of their parts...
Double-check the info because all panels coming from China do not comply with this spec, I measured personally several panels from China and did not measure the original thickness

Double-check the info because all panels coming from China do not comply with this spec, I measured personally several panels from China and did not measure the original thickness
That's true and, I think, that's the why there is a lower price for their 1.0 mm thick panels at Alibaba.
The 1.2 mm thick panels (OEM thickness) are more expensive. It seems that European vendors opted for this thickness to supply, I guess the US vendor too.

Pre 72 was 16ga. 18ga is seen in 79 and later rigs. My half tub from “China” which should be arriving any day now claims to have a 14ga rear bed with the rest at 18ga or better.

I’ll let you know what I find out.

Pre 72 was 16ga. 18ga is seen in 79 and later rigs. My half tub from “China” which should be arriving any day now claims to have a 14ga rear bed with the rest at 18ga or better.

I’ll let you know what I find out.
Excellent! please keep me posted.

Where did you buy it and how much was it? Was -79 or +79?

Excellent! please keep me posted.

Where did you buy it and how much was it? Was -79 or +79?
This is what I ordered.

1712203483422.png

Just pulled the trigger and ordered (in Europe) the bed/tray for my future J45 pickup resto.
Me too, I’ll let you know what I find out.

Half tub arrived this morning.

I will post up more details / pics soon but here are my first impressions.

PROS:
Great quality finish!
The metal is nice and thick. (Floor checked out at 14ga)
The primer is excellent.
Nicely packed (came without damage)
Most welds were decent. (I won’t need to fix them)

CONS:
Rear bed floor still overlaps the rear sill. (It’s supposed to be under the rear sill)
Rear sill is missing two body mount holes. (The two inner ones) the outer holes are there.
The tub is missing the main support channel at the front of the half tub.
The tub is also missing the mid bed “wings” that are supposed to be located just in front of where the front of the wheel wells are.
The front edge of the quarter panels are supposed to have a 90 degree bend on them to allow attachment to the rear of the front door jambs. No bends.

So to summarize, this is not a true “half tub” as it’s missing key components as described above.

But regarding the overall quality of the tub, it’s pretty nice. Even the rear sill issue really isn’t that bad as I will lay a bead of seam sealer along the edge and call it good. With the doors mounted, only I will know it’s wrong. (And all you other 40 geeks) :).

I have sent an email to Topnault with the issues listed above.

I’ll let you know what happens next.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom