1979 body tub from China (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

steveola

GOLD Star
SILVER Star
Threads
Hi everyone. I found a really good looking body tub from China through Alibaba.com, and through communication found out that it would cost 6400.00 picked up at port. Does this sound like a fair deal? Obviously, I would have to pony up having it shipped to my house. I guess the first question is, has anybody else done this? If so, any advice on what to expect as far as quality and fit of the tub, and overall experience would be Greatly appreciated. At the moment, I’m out of commission doing anything due to rotator cuff surgery, but the original plan was to just patch up my original body tub. Patch up is probably not the best term, since rebuilding is more accurate. My only other options are obviously Aqualu and Gozzard. CCOT and Colombian tubs are not really an option I don’t think. Thanks all.

How bad is your tub?
Maybe you could get yours repaired for that much.

Yeah, here's the thread about that:

@Racer65 has been waiting on the doors since July last year, so the shipping delays are definitely an issue. @steveola it's probably wise to wait and see how the doors come out before plunking down a lot of cash. Also, I think the manufacturer will have a minimum order quantity since they're really looking to sell their stuff to a reseller.

Cityracerllc.com is the vendor who is waiting on a shipment of 10 doors. I’m gonna go out on a limb and bet they’re a heck of a lot better than South American crap. I’m watching this as well.
That’s what I was thinking. Even though I really like CCOT, man they really left one our guys hanging when he got a bad tub so that’s not an option either.

Yeah, here's the thread about that:

@Racer65 has been waiting on the doors since July last year, so the shipping delays are definitely an issue. @steveola it's probably wise to wait and see how the doors come out before plunking down a lot of cash. Also, I think the manufacturer will have a minimum order quantity since they're really looking to sell their stuff to a reseller.
Absolutely, that’s what I was thinking. Yeah it’s has been awhile since Racer65 ordered the doors. Actually, I was on the list for a set but found a really nice here. If that’s a typical shipping time that could be an issue for sure.

Sounds risky to me, there's been talk of someone getting some doors but don't think they've come in yet?
Aquala seems like the safest option

Try it and let us know
Aqualu is definitely a known quantity. I really like their tub, but if I can I would like to hang onto the more original vibe.

My tub was actually in pretty good shape compared to some I see, but I had (poorly) cut rear wheel openings, rust in the rear wheel wells under the supports, a total PO hack job rear sill replacement using square tubing, and pitted foot wells. So I ended up replacing a ton of panels.

Everybody has their own disposable income level and price sensitivity... but I can say unequivocally after spending many hundreds of hours cutting, aligning, welding, and grinding and many more hours on body work that I never ever want to go through that again. Aqualu tubs aren't perfect from what I've seen, but they are serviceable. They don't look factory on the inside and that might hurt the value of your rig... but all told, I would not hesitate to go with a aqualu tub if I were doing it over again. my god, the hours I would've saved....

My tub was actually in pretty good shape compared to some I see, but I had (poorly) cut rear wheel openings, rust in the rear wheel wells under the supports, a total PO hack job rear sill replacement using square tubing, and pitted foot wells. So I ended up replacing a ton of panels.

Everybody has their own disposable income level and price sensitivity... but I can say unequivocally after spending many hundreds of hours cutting, aligning, welding, and grinding and many more hours on body work that I never ever want to go through that again. Aqualu tubs aren't perfect from what I've seen, but they are serviceable. They don't look factory on the inside and that might hurt the value of your rig... but all told, I would not hesitate to go with a aqualu tub if I were doing it over again. my god, the hours I would've saved....
Sounds pretty much like my tub, only the PO used aluminum plate everywhere and the electrolysis ate up a large portion of the rear quarters, oth floorboards are in need of replacement as well as the wheel wells. As I say it’s doable but loads of hours and tools to do it right. I really like the look of the Gozzard tub, I’m just not really sold fiberglass. No electrolysis though.

You might want to search for a used tub, they do show up from time to time. There was someone in Long Island, NY selling one not that long ago.

I would put a want add on Facebook market place - you may turn up something for a lot less than 6k. A project that has gotten stalled in someone’s garage.

Just an idea - good luck.

You might want to search for a used tub, they do show up from time to time. There was someone in Long Island, NY selling one not that long ago.

I would put a want add on Facebook market place - you may turn up something for a lot less than 6k. A project that has gotten stalled in someone’s garage.

Just an idea - good luck.
Good idea. Was the tub on along Island Aqualu or steel, do you remember?

That’s what I was thinking. Even though I really like CCOT, man they really left one our guys hanging when he got a bad tub so that’s not an option either.
That interaction between him and CCOT turned me totally off of using them. I really want to restore my original tub but the reality is that a aqualu tub would serve me much better in the long run because I could do it once and not worry about the rust ever coming back in the tub.

That interaction between him and CCOT turned me totally off of using them. I really want to restore my original tub but the reality is that a aqualu tub would serve me much better in the long run because I could do it once and not worry about the rust ever coming back in the tub.
Aqualu might be the most realistic solution. City Racer has been trying to get doors for about 7 months and counting. Shipping from China might be a real issue.

Was a steel tub, if I find the listing I will send it along.

?

Teseven seems to be about to return from the dead as well.

?

Teseven seems to be about to return from the dead as well.

teseven tub would be worth waiting for. I have seen 2 of their tubs. One was a stainless early then a regular 40 tub and both were amazing.

Hell the shipping container they made for each one was better engineered that the TROA garbage that the US resellers are offering

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom