What have you done to your Land Cruiser this week? (35 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Engine mounts were welded in at 3 degrees tilt to the rear and thats how the whole shebang is sitting in there now. Engine is offset 1.5” to the driver’s side. Looks like the steering shaft will work out perfectly running below the power steering pump and above the left mount.
IMG_4681.jpeg

That red hue isn’t for effect. It’s to keep my garage buddy warm.
IMG_4682.jpeg

*and yes my anti-inversion shackles are facing the wrong way. Was the only way to fit the Saginaw mounting plate without torching too much. I plan to run my bezel upside down so no one notices.

Last edited:
Tested the wipers this afternoon.
20240324_170207.jpg

Last chair out today.
20240324_154008.jpg

We got a storm today too, but grabbed first chair, lucky winter is still strong up there.
I was on the 3rd chair in the AM, even skipped lunch to keep cruising fresh powder all day.

Ski patrol was at the bottom waiting for me on the last chair on that side of the mountain!

I wondered if my knee problem was a result of excess skiing? Found this photo from 1972….Idaho. I was 19
Yikes!
IMG_0873.jpeg

On the road for a couple weeks away from my dearly Beloved 40, so I brought little guy along for the ride to make vroom-vroom noises on my hotel bed 4x course.
IMG_1091.jpeg

I wondered if my knee problem was a result of excess skiing? Found this photo from 1972….Idaho. I was 19
Yikes!
View attachment 3590535
That and working in construction for 45 years did my knees in, I had to stop about 10 years ago. Taos Ski Valley is practically in my backyard, when they get a big dump of powder I still miss being on the mountain!

That and working in construction for 45 years did my knees in, I had to stop about 10 years ago. Taos Ski Valley is practically in my backyard, when they get a big dump of powder I still miss being on the mountain!
When we lived in Vermont, Jay Peak was about 6 miles up the road….STRAIGHT UP! But, the temptations are always there…

Reupholstered seats are finally in!
I switched from a bench setup and long jump seats to buckets and short jump seats. I tried to keep everything as factory as possible. Re-did the seats, OEM roll bar re-done, powder coated the bar and seat frames, Overland Metric/JIS hardware. The seating position is now taller and MUCH better than the bench, IMO a major improvement. My interior makeover is almost complete, just have some odd and end hardware to correct.

23f2.jpg

32f23f.jpg

I switched from a bench setup and long jump seats to buckets and short jump seats. I tried to keep everything as factory as possible. Re-did the seats, OEM roll bar re-done, powder coated the bar and seat frames, Overland Metric/JIS hardware. The seating position is now taller and MUCH better than the bench, IMO a major improvement. My interior makeover is almost complete, just have some odd and end hardware to correct.

What “flavor” head liner did you use? OE or other?

Last edited:
I was finally able to set the timing at 7 degrees (spot on the BB). I don't know if installing the shims on the bearing caps is what made the difference, but I was never able to get it on the factory spec before. Then did the Lean Drop Method of tuning the carburetor as show in the FSM and Otramm's great video. It turns out that I had been doing it wrong.

View attachment 3590690

View attachment 3590691

Looks great. Post the “before” images if you have them. Assume you also installed the roll bar as the bench seat with long jump seats did not come with roll bar.

Last edited:
Looks great. Post the “before” images if you have them. Assume you also installed the roll bar as the bench seat with long jump seats did not come with roll bar.

Correct. My truck is a '78 General Markets/Columbian spec that I am Americanizing. It came with the split front bench and long jump seats, no roll bar. To install the US spec buckets, short jump seats, and roll bar new holes needed to be drilled for just about every mount to bolt everything up in the SA tub.

Before:

fgns.jpg

dfg.jpg

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom