My 76 1UZ build (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Nothing new here Rush replies 1st and asks for pics (those are fox tracks on de pig, little bugger climbs on just about everything)

20230111_183823.jpg

20221221_095423.jpg

20221002_151829.jpg

20220809_153843.jpg

Last edited:
So the arctic entry on the house is progressing and the pig that I had brought close to the house to work on was in the way, so i finally did some things - but still stuck in the frustrating finishing stages:
- truck started, a win,
- once tank was pressurized, fuel leak from hoses at tank - must have oversized the hose to tank connections or something, was streaming out pretty good,
- realized that there wasn't any clearance on the tie rods to wheels, spacers fixed that, but wheels now held on by one thread so either need new wheels or tear it apart and put longer bolts in
- small oil leak from black box to dana case
- have to finish exhaust, remarkably loud :)
on the upside it drove for the first time 200' to the new winter resting spot. I've got to build a garage next year, it's ridiculous that I can't get this sh*! done

I've got to build a garage next year, it's ridiculous that I can't get this sh*! done
It took me a year to get my garage to the point that you can put a truck in it. and its no where near finished. I'd be pretty stoked if you got a garage built in your short construction season.

Well, the seacan fell into my lap this year, at 53' that was a bit of a win. If I can get as far as getting a 30' wide pad poured beside it next year, I'd be pretty pleased. Side project to the entry on the house was running power to the seacan which will help things along out there. Unfortunately the tractor in the foreground needed replacing, so that chewed up what little spare cash I had available this year - but the new tractor is big enough to do the ground prep next year :)

20231013_081456.jpg

This is a terrible, ugly, globby, with a little porosity thrown in, and exciting weld... it's the first time in maybe three years I have made a move toward anything substantive on the pig. With power to the sea can and a wood stove, figure i might be able to pick away at a few things, will start here while we still have warmish weather.
20231213_175459.jpg

@PabloCruise lol, yep kept the lights, love LCs, never been a fan of the blocky lights. Yes, early on the pig spent some time in a sty with some old volvos. I had bought the truck without telling my wife who thinks I have too many projects so i hid it for a while. Got to know John the volvo guy previously when I had my p1800, he is a retired engineer outside of Calgary and knows vintage volvos inside and out - bought many parts from him for that project.

I did try and get back on the pig this weekend, but my welder seems to dislike the cold, can hear fan going and would stay on, but wouldn't feed wire without being shut off and turned on again - that got old fast... then the wire started binding even with the nozzle off - needs some investigating. In the meantime, my old volvo that I just about finished in March 2020 being dropped off with John on the way to a new owner to clear space for the pig that I told my wife about 2 mos later and winter pig:

20200312_125710.jpg

20231217_145025.jpg

Good thought Ron, might be something like that. When it happened to you, did the binding cause the welder it to automatically stop the feed - some kind of safety so you don't get a birds nest in the welder? I've never cleaned the liner, so I will start there and see where it goes - the cold could be exasperating a pre-existing rough patch.
Kerry

No, mine just kept getting the birds nest. I replaced the liner and no more problems. I have a Miller 250 that's 30 years old, so...

I would imagine the cold does a lot of weird stuff to things up there.

@PabloCruise lol, yep kept the lights, love LCs, never been a fan of the blocky lights. Yes, early on the pig spent some time in a sty with some old volvos. I had bought the truck without telling my wife who thinks I have too many projects so i hid it for a while. Got to know John the volvo guy previously when I had my p1800, he is a retired engineer outside of Calgary and knows vintage volvos inside and out - bought many parts from him for that project.

I did try and get back on the pig this weekend, but my welder seems to dislike the cold, can hear fan going and would stay on, but wouldn't feed wire without being shut off and turned on again - that got old fast... then the wire started binding even with the nozzle off - needs some investigating. In the meantime, my old volvo that I just about finished in March 2020 being dropped off with John on the way to a new owner to clear space for the pig that I told my wife about 2 mos later and winter pig:

View attachment 3509932
View attachment 3509930
Dude, your 1800 looks tight!

Yep, was pretty sweet - finances forced some choices between projects (plus John had randomly called me and asked if I wanted to sell it to a pretty keen buyer). I loved the lines on that car, I also hated the lines on that car, not a damn straight section - metal work and body prep was brutal, lots of metal banging, then I had orange peel and had to color sand for days. Still, that car, one of my old TR3s, and the FJ62 are a few that i wish I still owned.

Last edited:
You know, one cal loose a lot of time at work, not working and thinking about garage builds... box to the right is my existing sea can, thought is to offset the new build out by 10 feet and use post and beam there and then bridge the new structure to the seacan with rafters - garage space ~35x53, total counting the seacan ~43x53 - hopefully pour the pad this year and build next. Also, was pretty surprised SketchUp had an fj55 model :)

And I actually did a little bit of pig stuff, new wheels bought and installed with proper offset, exhaust welded up (but not mounted), found an annoying coolant leak, etc...
1709668114268.png

View attachment 3509932
View attachment 3509930
That Volvo looks great. There used to be one of those in my neighborhood. Haven't seen it in awhile, not sure if the guy still has it. Perhaps it's just a fair weather rig. His was fairly dull looking as I recall, not sharp like yours.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom