Towing with a 200-series Toyota Land Cruiser (16 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

View attachment 3569985

That seems to be the fault I get. The Black wire is the +12V coming from the factory brake controller plug. So it almost seems like maybe the Redarc is getting a low voltage or something from the car on startup and freaks out. I believe the controller is always powered, even when the car is off, so I wonder if its worth wiring the black wire straight to the battery.

Like I said, its random. I had it happen when I was leaving one camp ground and heading to another. I drove 15 minutes without brakes thinking it was trying to calibrate, but never did. Then stopped for gas, pulled the plug on the controller, plugged it back in, and it worked totally fine the next two days of towing.

Before that, it happened when I was pulling the trailer out of storage to get ready for the trip. So of the maybe 4 times I connected the trailer I had this happen twice.
Do you connect your 7 pin before turning the truck on or do you do it while idling? I do the latter but I can imagine a state where the ground pin is missing for a moment when inserting and the controller freaks out

The controller does not have power when the engine is off

I've never had a single issue with my RedArc.
Im not suggesting that there is anything wrong with the Redarc, or that it has anything to do with the fault, I am only saying that the message on the screen on the Tek is easy to read and understand. And that I’m happy with my Tek, smiley face.

Do you connect your 7 pin before turning the truck on or do you do it while idling? I do the latter but I can imagine a state where the ground pin is missing for a moment when inserting and the controller freaks out

The controller does not have power when the engine is off

I usually connect it while the truck is on because I use the truck to help with the electrical load of the tongue jack.

The controller is in standby all the time I think. Im pretty sure if you hit the button while the truck is off, the blue light on the dial still "breaths"

The controller doesnt wake up until a trailer is detected though. Even if the truck is on, the lights will be off unless you hit the button and it breaths, but then turns back off. Once you connect a trailer, the light turns on steady blue.

Ill have to double check all this. My wife took it to the airport this week so I havent seen it since Saturday.

Are you getting weird operation from the RedArc TowPro's? Mine is really weird and I would say about 30% of the time it does not properly connect. Sometimes it will just be a constant green flashing light and does not apply the trailer brakes at all, even manually. I pull the plug from the controller, and plug it back in, and it fixes it usually. Then other times it works normal from the get go.

From what I can tell in the users manual the green flashing light indicated some kinda of bad power or ground connection? Where are you grounding them? I am using the TPH-021 connector.

I had similar issues on my GX460 as well.
I had this issue and had to disconnect and connect the 7 plug and at times turn off and on the vehicle, until I wrote REDARC and they asked me for the model and serial number and replaced for a newer model for free. No problem since. Suggest you write REDARC and explain your issue and see what they say.

Grounding at the brake controller under the dash is a good idea as well and have done with the TPH-021 cable connector, but that is not the only issue in my experience.

Last edited:
Don’t you usually have a ground through the trailer hitch? Oops, I see that skrypj’s doesn’t.

I usually connect it while the truck is on because I use the truck to help with the electrical load of the tongue jack.

The controller is in standby all the time I think. Im pretty sure if you hit the button while the truck is off, the blue light on the dial still "breaths"

The controller doesnt wake up until a trailer is detected though. Even if the truck is on, the lights will be off unless you hit the button and it breaths, but then turns back off. Once you connect a trailer, the light turns on steady blue.

Ill have to double check all this. My wife took it to the airport this week so I havent seen it since Saturday.
I just tried this and you’re correct it lights up if I push it while the truck is off. What I’m not sure is whether it’s actually off until the wire gets plugged in and pressing the button also wakes it. Basically if the truck is off and you plug in the 7 pin, does it wake it does it still show as powered off. My guess is until you depress the brake or turn on the lights (since pressing the button is the same as pressing the brakes) it’s off, but I could be wrong. Otherwise it would always be drawing power

What tires are are you all running? I need tow worthy and ‘cool’ looking. ;) I don’t offroad, but service road worthy would be nice…nothing crazy though.

I have Toyos on now that were on when I bought my LC and need to find some new tires in the next bit.

Links would be awesome. :)

I don’t know if I even want to comment on this because it could cause an issue just doing so…

I’ve never had an issue with my Redarc brake controller and I’ve connected many times with engine running and not running.

Currently knocking on wood.

I don’t know if I even want to comment on this because it could cause an issue just doing so…

I’ve never had an issue with my Redarc brake controller and I’ve connected many times with engine running and not running.

Currently knocking on wood.
THANK GOODNESS you posted this. We're picking up our trailer next week and I have a REDARC tow pro elite that's only been tested with a tester that simulates a trailer being connected. I'm biting my nails as it is driving 100+ miles home for the first time and I became somewhat concerned over the posts about REDARC controller issues.

I've got to keep reminding myself that I'm the kind of person that will worry about not having something to worry about. :D

Just my own experience .. almost 4 years and thousands of miles towing..
No issues with my tow pro elite. I really like the quick adjustability and smooth engagement..

THANK GOODNESS you posted this. We're picking up our trailer next week and I have a REDARC tow pro elite that's only been tested with a tester that simulates a trailer being connected. I'm biting my nails as it is driving 100+ miles home for the first time and I became somewhat concerned over the posts about REDARC controller issues.

I've got to keep reminding myself that I'm the kind of person that will worry about not having something to worry about. :D
It’s fine. About the only weird thing with the controller is it will take a few miles to learn, so initially it’s not proportional and will brake too much or too little, but once it programs you can switch it to proportional (if it doesn’t do so automatically) and then adjust as needed. I tend to run 5-6.

It’s fine. About the only weird thing with the controller is it will take a few miles to learn, so initially it’s not proportional and will brake too much or too little, but once it programs you can switch it to proportional (if it doesn’t do so automatically) and then adjust as needed. I tend to run 5-6.
Thanks! You've set me straight a couple of times when it comes to towing.

Thanks! You've set me straight a couple of times when it comes to towing.
Hopefully it all goes well but if you run into issues getting set up and started feel free to PM me.

Hopefully it all goes well but if you run into issues getting set up and started feel free to PM me.
Wow. Thanks for the offer. I might just do that even if it's just to say we made it. I'll post when we get it home.

I've let the dealer know that the controller is untested in the dynamic sense and they're aware we haven't towed with our LC before. So they're going to give us a test drive on their lot and in the area. I should maybe mention that the dealer has been really supportive and understanding. The dealer is General RV West Chester PA. Formerly Stoltzfus RV.

Wow. Thanks for the offer. I might just do that even if it's just to say we made it. I'll post when we get it home.

I've let the dealer know that the controller is untested in the dynamic sense and they're aware we haven't towed with our LC before. So they're going to give us a test drive on their lot and in the area. I should maybe mention that the dealer has been really supportive and understanding. The dealer is General RV West Chester PA. Formerly Stoltzfus RV.
I completely understand the stress and anticipation of first-time towing, but you're almost certainly going to have a straightforward, uneventful, even boring drive home, so don't worry about it too much.

Don't rush, double and triple check your mirrors when taking turns. If on city steets, turn wider than you would normally. Focus on being smooth in all your inputs (steering, braking, accelerating). Relax and enjoy the drive, it'll be just fine. Most importantly, drive at a comfortable speed for you - if that means 10, 20 or even 30 under the limit, then drive that speed and don't stress about anyone else. People that want to go faster will find a way to pass you - that's their problem, not yours.

I completely understand the stress and anticipation of first-time towing, but you're almost certainly going to have a straightforward, uneventful, even boring drive home, so don't worry about it too much.

Don't rush, double and triple check your mirrors when taking turns. If on city steets, turn wider than you would normally. Focus on being smooth in all your inputs (steering, braking, accelerating). Relax and enjoy the drive, it'll be just fine. Most importantly, drive at a comfortable speed for you - if that means 10, 20 or even 30 under the limit, then drive that speed and don't stress about anyone else. People that want to go faster will find a way to pass you - that's their problem, not yours.
Appreciate the support and suggestions. I got the Milenco mirrors mounted. Today's discussion was on how many sammiches we'll need lol. After all the preparation and concern, we're actually kind of stoked. As in let's do this!

Say hello to ih8mud's newest towing family!!!
Today was introduction and walk-through day at General RV in West Chester PA!
This is the first time we've seen our new trailer and we're very happy with it.
The custom electrical job to allow for charging the lithium batteries from the tow vehicle was primo IMHO.
Tomorrow morning is teach us how to hitch up and we're headed home hopefully by 11AM.
Thanks to @linuxgod, @eatSleepWoof and all the others who have given words of encouragement and most importantly knowledge.
We are truly grateful for everyone's help.
20240306_104218s.jpg

Say hello to ih8mud's newest towing family!!!
Today was introduction and walk-through day at General RV in West Chester PA!
This is the first time we've seen our new trailer and we're very happy with it.
The custom electrical job to allow for charging the lithium batteries from the tow vehicle was primo IMHO.
Tomorrow morning is teach us how to hitch up and we're headed home hopefully by 11AM.
Thanks to @linuxgod, @eatSleepWoof and all the others who have given words of encouragement and most importantly knowledge.
We are truly grateful for everyone's help.
View attachment 3575827

With my Lithium batteries, I try not to charge them up to max unless I absolutely have to. Most trips I will only charge up to 80 or 90% right before I leave and then let them drain through the entire trip down to 50% where I will start to float them with my solar panels. They do not like to sit at 100% capacity for extended periods, especially in heat.

So I would be careful to not let them charge to much which you are towing. Only use it to bump them as needed.

With my Lithium batteries, I try not to charge them up to max unless I absolutely have to. Most trips I will only charge up to 80 or 90% right before I leave and then let them drain through the entire trip down to 50% where I will start to float them with my solar panels. They do not like to sit at 100% capacity for extended periods, especially in heat.

So I would be careful to not let them charge to much which you are towing. Only use it to bump them as needed.
Are you sure it’s problematic to keep them at 100%? I know lithium ion in cell phones and EVs don’t like it but my LiFePO batteries in my trailer are different chemistry and 100% charge is just fine.

Are you sure it’s problematic to keep them at 100%? I know lithium ion in cell phones and EVs don’t like it but my LiFePO batteries in my trailer are different chemistry and 100% charge is just fine.
You can charge LFP to 100%, but you’ll significantly extend the life by limiting the charge/discharge cycle to 10-90%. Diysolarforum.com has tons of threads on this. Some LFP battery manufacturers program their BMS to do this automatically (a 100Ah battery might have 115-120Ah in it, but you can’t access the buffers), but most don’t.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom