Any Vise Collectors Here? (2 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

@TomH I can't turn down a nice 3" vise. These are so cool! Time to make a handle.

@bhsdriller The Athol 6 series are TANKS! The size of the jaw support and the heft of their static jaw above the slide are like no other manufacturer. Great find!

Picked up a little Reed 103 last weekend. Tossed it in the ultrasonic cleaner then hit it with a wire wheel and it came out pretty good. Now I need to figure out what to do with it.

View attachment 3565160View attachment 3565162

Looks familiar :cool:.....

tempImage3cUQd3.png

Picked up a vise from my Dad's recently. No markings that I can see. Does anyone know what this might be? Chinese import most likely?
v1.jpg
v2.jpg
v3.jpg
v4.jpg

@Shyrock Looks like some steel vises i have seen. Perhaps "shop" made? The weld on the dynamic is what makes me think so. Recent import designs look nothing like this one. Closest out there design wise are new Ridgid and Heuer vises but clearly not one of those. True mystery vise you have there. Thanks for posting.

the upper parts do look shop-made, but the base less so. Maybe the latter was reused from something else?
All together, it reminds me of the stuff I see on YT about made in small shops in Pakistan. (It actually is quite amazing how some of it looks so professional for stuff made on shop dirt floors with a bunch of kids helping out.)

I'm not a collector (although it dawns on me they're starting to accumulate) but I do keep my eyes open for larger vises. Just picked up this Columbian 205-M2 from state surplus auction. Dirty but paint is intact and jaws look perfect so thinking it might have never seen any use.

IMG_2349.jpg
IMG_2347.jpg
IMG_2350.jpg

yup. Unused!

@Waorani My 205 is the only vise I can never sell. Was my Dad’s vise. A phenomenal tool!
IMG_3963.jpeg

CA Craigslist find?? Thought I saw this one somewhere over there. Awesome score!!
State of Alabama surplus. No description and only a couple of fuzzy pics. Tried to scale off what looked like a sheet of 8.5x11 paper in the pics and thought it might have 8" jaws but still pleased. Assume it's probably a newer production vise.

@Waorani Yes. M2 were newer but not newest. Yours still has the classic Columbian "T" style jaws (great if they are new like yours, a royal P.I.T.A. if you have to replace them). Mine have the newest style replaceable jaws. Biggest combination vise Columbian made was the 206 (6" jaws).

@Waorani Yes. M2 were newer but not newest. Yours still has the classic Columbian "T" style jaws (great if they are new like yours, a royal P.I.T.A. if you have to replace them). Mine have the newest style replaceable jaws. Biggest combination vise Columbian made was the 206 (6" jaws).
Thanks, good to know.

and now for something different...

patina (well, ok, rust really), straight handle, sharp teeth, and Columbian. Flea Market. How could I pass?

Any idea what vintage this is? There is a "31" cast on it. 1931?

It's been welded, though, must have cracked. Not exactly collector's grade but looks solid and should do the job fine.

20240321_124051  Ed.jpg

20240321_124108  Ed.jpg

Last edited:
I found an almost identical one in my Dad's shed today. May have you beat on the rust though.
IMG_2363.jpg

IMG_2364.jpg

square nuts is always a nice sight!
and that's an ACME thread too, unlike mine. Although a regular thread should be fine, you don't really want to tighten those too much, I would think.
The design of these things has not changed much. I think they still make them like that. It works.
I have a modern Rigid chain type, but I like the above better.
Cleaned mine up a bit. Those teeth are in great shape. Must be some seriously hardened steel.

Picked this up a couple of years ago for $5.00 at an estate sale. I found the design patent was granted June 1935, but are there any identifying numbers on here to determine actual manufacture date? I have never used this vise.

20240321_203609.jpg

20240321_203637.jpg

20240321_204509.jpg

20240321_204747.jpg

20240321_205313.jpg

So the vise part is clear. But is there a specific techique for bending pipe?
1711107711729.png

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom