Lubing Prop-shaft/driveline what type of grease? (2 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Should I use my regular grease (Redline CV-2) or should I use a “Red-n-tacky” grease from Lucas or similar? I’m getting that “clunk” when accelerating from a stop.
Thanks.

Use one with molybdenum in it

This has probably been beaten to death but I have had the mindset that if the surfaces are sliding past one another, like in the slip yoke section of the driveshaft, then you want a moly grease. Its been my understanding that you don't want a moly grease on surfaces that are rolling. Like the needle bearings on u-joints or wheel bearings. For those I just used a regular bearing grease.

Also know that greasing with some grease is better than not greasing things at all.

Should I use my regular grease (Redline CV-2) or should I use a “Red-n-tacky” grease from Lucas or similar? I’m getting that “clunk” when accelerating from a stop.
Thanks.
This thread is in the forum FAQs and has everything you need for grease type and how to do it.

Long-time user here. It’s great stuff.
Bought two 14oz tubes of Lucas Xtra Heavy Duty at Autozone for $10 each the other day. Seemed even better than Lucas Red n Tacky. Plan to use this as one grease for u joints and slip yoke. Please let me know if this is a mistake? Aware I need to limit the number of strokes/amount of grease on the slip yokes.

I generally use the black/grey Valvoline moly grease on everything except wheel bearings, which get the red stuff out of the tub. Mainly because Valvoline is available everywhere, OK quality and not expensive. As @stonepa says, the simple act of performing the maintenance is more important than which grease you choose in most cases.

Bought two 14oz tubes of Lucas Xtra Heavy Duty at Autozone for $10 each the other day. Seemed even better than Lucas Red n Tacky. Plan to use this as one grease for u joints and slip yoke. Please let me know if this is a mistake? Aware I need to limit the number of strokes/amount of grease on the slip yokes.

Not a mistake at all, should work great. Toyota calls for a simple NLGI #2 lithium based grease in all six zerks. There is a very very small argument for a higher moly grease being (even) better in the slip yoke section, but IMO they so over-engineered the 200-serires driveline that it is totally unnecessary. It's not like slip yoke failures happen much at all, and this is despite many of them missing maintenance entirely for much of their life.

I did have a separate small grease gun with moly for the slip sections, but when it broke I didn't bother replacing it. There isn't enough realistic upside to justify two separate materials and tools.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom