COMPILED - 80 Series Seat Swap Thread (2 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

This outfit seem to have a lots of Subaru seats if that's what you're looking for, in El Paso, TX.

View attachment 3220698
I recently sat in the Subaru seats you have posted via another MUD member I met up with...and for a bigger dude, those seats are horrible, fyi. The side and seat edge "hump" are very uncomfortable.

So I guess it’s time to do something (ha).

View attachment 3379305
I’d like to simply yank these and install OEM manual seats. All I need is the frame (and maybe the foam). I have a good upholsterer that can do the rest. Local junkyard searches no good, all power (and rough).

Does Toyota still have manual seat frames? I’m having a difficult time running down part numbers.

Thanks,

Edit: nope, no more manual seat frames. Junkyard or something else.
Do some Mud research before you buy; IIRC using manuals on later models means smashing some factory mounts flat, which means you can't use anything else, unless maybe you find an adapter for an early model...

Do some Mud research before you buy; IIRC using manuals on later models means smashing some factory mounts flat, which means you can't use anything else, unless maybe you find an adapter for an early model...
Nope, my memory is it is almost a perfect match. You only need to start modifying if you use 90-91 seats to get the seatbelts to fit.

Nope, my memory is it is almost a perfect match. You only need to start modifying if you use 90-91 seats to get the seatbelts to fit.
I forgot about the seatbelt thing; seemed a pretty simple fix IIRC. I do remember someone detailing their install--I think it was oem early manual seats into a later model--and taking a hammer to some mounts that were in the way. And I remember thinking, 'No way I'm doing that; gotta be another way...'

I forgot about the seatbelt thing; seemed a pretty simple fix IIRC. I do remember someone detailing their install--I think it was oem early manual seats into a later model--and taking a hammer to some mounts that were in the way. And I remember thinking, 'No way I'm doing that; gotta be another way...'
I did the swap and had no trouble with the seats fitting. Seat belt mounting will make some people cringe.

FJ80 Manual Seat Swap into a FZJ80

Thanks for the link. I believe they made some changes with the 93 model. No more capture nut for the seat belt. When they changed the mounts, I'm not sure.

91-92 (FJ80), the seatbelt receivers mounts to the floorboard. 93-97 (FZJ80) the seatbelt receiver mounts to the seat (leather or fabric). The seat frame mounting to the floor is almost identical for all models. When I had all my carpet out a few years ago, I don’t recall seeing anything in the floorboard of my 94 that would indicate the former FJ80 mounting of the seatbelt receiver.

80DF989D-5F4E-4606-A803-58603CC95346.jpeg

Coming soon, 2021 GR Yaris seats. picked them up local yesterday and ordered my planted brackets today. they sit a little high, so i’m making some custom brackets to lower it a couple inches. the seat rails are also a little wide for my liking, so the brackets basically move the rails inwards and tuck them up into the seat a little bit. gonna be a few weeks on the making because mail takes a little to get here. they have factory heaters also, just need to get the wiring diagram to make it all work. they are pretty comfy, and have enough bolstering to keep you planted, but not enough that it’s annoying to get in and out of.

View attachment 3387356

Coming soon, 2021 GR Yaris seats. picked them up local yesterday and ordered my planted brackets today. they sit a little high, so i’m making some custom brackets to lower it a couple inches. the seat rails are also a little wide for my liking, so the brackets basically move the rails inwards and tuck them up into the seat a little bit. gonna be a few weeks on the making because mail takes a little to get here. they have factory heaters also, just need to get the wiring diagram to make it all work. they are pretty comfy, and have enough bolstering to keep you planted, but not enough that it’s annoying to get in and out of.
Those are nice looking seats!

I was looking at some 2023 BMW seats that had heat/cool/power etc. Anyone have any experience with putting BMW seats that new in an 80 and retaining the functionality?

View attachment 3387356

Since we don't get the GR Yaris here in the US I'm going to have to keep my eyes open for some GR Carolla seats. Those are good looking seats.

2012 Range Rover Sport HSE (L320) seats.
Tons of adjustability, and heated. Both seats have lumbar and driver seat has bolster as well.
I am 6 ft tall for reference, pant length 32.

1705276003002.png

I'm absolutely in love with these seats. I do have to have them at the minimum height setting. They'd be great for short people, haha. My head clears the ceiling on both sides about 2-3 inches.
Also, the passenger arm rest does clear the center console (by a small amount).

I know a few people have tried these to no avail. I had to modify my Planted seat brackets with extra material in the front and towards the center of the vehicle, and also cut into the trans tunnel to make these fit right. I'm OCD about properly centered seats.

My driver seat is a memory seat. It has a module that communicates on the CAN Bus which it expects a bunch of other communication to other modules to work. I tried to make it work within reason, but it likely requires the instrument cluster and body control module. More than I was willing to install. I rewired it to generic DPDT switches, and the lumbar/bolster to momentary buttons. Eventually I'll replace the aluminum panel I made with a 3D printed bezel, and also try to 3D print switch covers that look more OEM.
The passenger seat was super easy to wire, as it was just a matter of applying power and ground.
1705276186898.png

Here's how I had to modify my seat brackets (they were previously modified when I installed Mazda2 seats)
1705276291035.png
1705276356741.png

And the trans tunnel:
1705276406254.png

The factory Rover rails have studs up front which I pressed out and used button head bolts in place of. On the outer front tab of the bracket, the hole barely clears the mounting tab of the bracket.

I documented this process really well, and also created easy-to-follow wiring schematics. I'm working on creating a full in-depth write-up on installation that will also include a PDF to the full Range Rover wiring manual (if anyone wants it) and all the steps I took. I spent a good few days sifting through wiring diagrams, so no one will have to go through that headache like I did, haha.
I'll link the write-up on this post once I have it completed.

Tons of adjustability, and heated. Both seats have lumbar and driver seat has bolster as well.

View attachment 3533120
I'm absolutely in love with these seats. I do have to have them at the minimum height setting. They'd be great for short people, haha. My head clears the ceiling on both sides about 2-3 inches.

I know a few people have tried these to no avail. I had to modify my Planted seat brackets with extra material in the front and towards the center of the vehicle, and also cut into the trans tunnel to make these fit right. I'm OCD about properly centered seats.

My driver seat is a memory seat. It has a module that communicates on the CAN Bus which it expects a bunch of other communication to other modules to work. I tried to make it work within reason, but it likely requires the instrument cluster and body control module. More than I was willing to install. I rewired it to generic DPDT switches, and the lumbar/bolster to momentary buttons. Eventually I'll replace the aluminum panel I made with a 3D printed bezel, and also try to 3D print switch covers that look more OEM.
The passenger seat was super easy to wire, as it was just a matter of applying power and ground.
View attachment 3533121
Here's how I had to modify my seat brackets (they were previously modified when I installed Mazda2 seats)
View attachment 3533123View attachment 3533124
And the trans tunnel:
View attachment 3533126

The factory Rover rails have studs up front which I pressed out and used button head bolts in place of. On the outer front tab of the bracket, the hole barely clears the mounting tab of the bracket.

I documented this process really well, and also created easy-to-follow wiring schematics. I'm working on creating a full in-depth write-up on installation that will also include a PDF to the full Range Rover wiring manual (if anyone wants it) and all the steps I took. I spent a good few days sifting through wiring diagrams, so no one will have to go through that headache like I did, haha.
Nicely done! look great

Nicely done! look great

View attachment 3533120

View attachment 3533121
View attachment 3533123View attachment 3533124
And the trans tunnel:
View attachment 3533126

How much did seats cost?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom