What Did You Do with Your 80 This Weekend? (104 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

With the original roof rack now removed I installed the old Thule rack that used to be on my FJ62. This will be better for carrying anything, especially my kayak since it has the canoe carrier brackets.

7608AD0E-E7A0-410F-B239-95E1C0C42822.jpeg

Yes.
40 years ago, I remember sitting on passenger side of my dads FJ40 as he chased wires…one inch at a time. It’s something he LOATHED. I’m the same way. This shop was recommended to me by my LC specific shop and they did not disappoint 👍

I’m going write up a full Google and Yelp review on how happy I am with the work done. Such a great shop and great people too!
what did they end up charging to do all the work for you if you dont mind me asking?

I should let the OP respond, but mine is simply a 4' piece of Home Depot closet shelving, zip-tied to the hand holds. Most people create a bracket using the grab bar bolt holes, it's much sturdier, and you could probably buy a set from someone here if you wanted to. Mine doesn't ever carry anything heavy, so I've never felt the need.

You can see it in this somewhat bizarre picture:
View attachment 3320343
Totally off topic but what do you have going on for the plate relocation? Just using one bolt?

what did they end up charging to do all the work for you if you dont mind me asking?
I don't mind at all...

it came out to ~2.5 hours...approx $350 👍

Totally off topic but what do you have going on for the plate relocation? Just using one bolt?
I did the one bolt thing for quite a while with some double-sided tape, but I finally went ahead and drilled a hole for the second bolt.

With the original roof rack now removed I installed the old Thule rack that used to be on my FJ62. This will be better for carrying anything, especially my kayak since it has the canoe carrier brackets.

View attachment 3323892
Quick question, I see a lot of roof racks attached to the rain guards, are they secure/sturdy enough? I don’t have a roof rack on mine (yet) so I am curious. Thanks.

Quick question, I see a lot of roof racks attached to the rain guards, are they secure/sturdy enough? I don’t have a roof rack on mine (yet) so I am curious. Thanks.
That's really the only option for the 80 and yeah they are secure if you spread out the load along the rain gutters. Depends on the rack design as well.

That's really the only option for the 80 and yeah they are secure if you spread out the load along the rain gutters. Depends on the rack design as well.
Ok, rain gutters on various vehicles are hit or miss as far as strength is concerned. I just want to make sure before I put anything up there.

@duece71 I've had no issues or signs of bending/damage running a variety of things on two thule cross bars/feet similar to what's show above. Largest load is typically when I fill the roof top box with gear and also have a bike on the roof at the same time. I've driven thousands of miles with more weight up there than I like without issue besides the 80 getting a little more rolly in the turns.

If you want to add a lot more weight, like perhaps a large rooftop tent with multiple people sleeping in it, plus gear, you'll likely want more than just the 4 feet/contact points of a dual cross bar setup. I don't know the weight limits and cut off points but it's probably better safe than sorry so a rack with more feet or with full-length contact points is what some folks will need to go with.

The risk of rollover, limited access to parking garages, likelihood of catching limbs, etc. increase as you pile stuff on the roof though which is why I like the 2 bar setup as it keeps me from going overboard. I typically have the bars off completely for less wind noise and no parking garage or limb snag risk.

Ok, rain gutters on various vehicles are hit or miss as far as strength is concerned. I just want to make sure before I put anything up there.
What do you have in mind? The Thule claims to have the strength to hold about 200 lbs as I recall. There are a few spendy, more robust rack options available for the 80 series such as this. Toyota Land Cruiser 80 Series Prinsu Roof Rack | 1990-1997 - https://prinsu.com/product/lc80-prinsu-roofrack/?attribute_pa_wind-deflector=standard&gclid=CjwKCAjw04yjBhApEiwAJcvNoR9qRV__ypP_8oHF5kyTLJEl3bf6sMCAjENoyp5Xl6wln2PAUszBSRoCY_wQAvD_BwE

Prepping for a 3 day run this weekend with the local Cruiser club, noticed negative lead was not holding well🍻

9B786CCA-0847-48A8-9934-33BAAD91294A.jpeg

0CA3ED32-272E-44C2-99F6-53FC934D404A.jpeg

10408768-9398-4AC6-B76F-0ECFB49D32E3.jpeg

24ADCE10-250E-42C4-9831-1D7A19003D5A.jpeg

What do you have in mind? The Thule claims to have the strength to hold about 200 lbs as I recall. There are a few spendy, more robust rack options available for the 80 series such as this. Toyota Land Cruiser 80 Series Prinsu Roof Rack | 1990-1997 - https://prinsu.com/product/lc80-prinsu-roofrack/?attribute_pa_wind-deflector=standard&gclid=CjwKCAjw04yjBhApEiwAJcvNoR9qRV__ypP_8oHF5kyTLJEl3bf6sMCAjENoyp5Xl6wln2PAUszBSRoCY_wQAvD_BwE
Yes, definitely eyeing the Prius roof rack. I am concerned about the rain guards being secure enough, not the roof rack itself.

@duece71 I've had no issues or signs of bending/damage running a variety of things on two thule cross bars/feet similar to what's show above. Largest load is typically when I fill the roof top box with gear and also have a bike on the roof at the same time. I've driven thousands of miles with more weight up there than I like without issue besides the 80 getting a little more rolly in the turns.

If you want to add a lot more weight, like perhaps a large rooftop tent with multiple people sleeping in it, plus gear, you'll likely want more than just the 4 feet/contact points of a dual cross bar setup. I don't know the weight limits and cut off points but it's probably better safe than sorry so a rack with more feet or with full-length contact points is what some folks will need to go with.

The risk of rollover, limited access to parking garages, likelihood of catching limbs, etc. increase as you pile stuff on the roof though which is why I like the 2 bar setup as it keeps me from going overboard. I typically have the bars off completely for less wind noise and no parking garage or limb snag risk.
Sounds good, I like the simplicity of the Prinsu RR and others that are of similar construction style. I definitely want to avoid the Clark W. Grizwold type of mishap 😆

Yes, definitely eyeing the Prius roof rack. I am concerned about the rain guards being secure enough, not the roof rack itself.
My impression is that it’s a more secure system, with less flexing, than the OEM rack bolted through the roof. Good luck ripping the rain gutters off.
If they were rusty/crusty then you’d have a problem.

My impression is that it’s a more secure system, with less flexing, than the OEM rack bolted through the roof. Good luck ripping the rain gutters off.
If they were rusty/crusty then you’d have a problem.
Yes, definitely do not want to do anything to the roof as far as holes are concerned. The sunroof is a big enough hole already. I haven’t looked the rain gutters over but it will for sure before any roof rack mounting takes place.

completed 3500 mile trip from NC to TX and back. My LX450 performed flawlessly. I averaged 11.8 mpg so not great but not complaining.
The trip as 99% interstate miles but did manage to do some exploring down in south texas.
I checked out the SpaceX launch sites at Boca Chica beach. Also drove to the tip of Texas where the rio grand River meets the Gulf of Mexico.

F953746E-6C7D-42FB-AEC3-1447A93564AD.jpeg

22D9885D-8631-4CC5-91C7-EE99AA91E72D.jpeg

79B3CF2E-21D7-4A22-8824-6F044A7C27D8.png

F9607D0F-293A-4794-A0A8-430E1F535A0C.jpeg

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom