My Turn - The Mega Dream Garage (3 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Also look into a simple safety switch. They can usually be had fairly cheap on ebay like this one. Even a 3-phase will work, just don't use one of the legs.

Then I mowed for the first time this year and learned that a friend's brain cancer is back and she only was given about a month. That is so sad.
As it is I need to go to a service tomorrow for the child of a coworker. Lost to depression/anxiety.
Life is short.
Oh man, that’s a tough read, thanks for the reminder to be happier than we are with what we got.

How much is this project running you in total if you don't mind me asking? I know steel buildings are about half the cost of traditional construction, but I'm curious about ballpark cost

Dan

About 4X what it would have if he built in 2015.

How much is this project running you in total if you don't mind me asking? I know steel buildings are about half the cost of traditional construction, but I'm curious about ballpark cost

Dan
At the risk of either embarassing myself or sounding like a braggert.....
@PIP is a bit high with the 4X but yeah, far higher than
pre-vid. I actually thought I would not even be able to afford it after the economy has pooped on us but the builder really surprised me. (He is based in Cartersville, GA.)
The building with doors and windows and concrete was $47k. I did a lot of site prep but he completed the grading and compacting for the floor (not a pad with turn downs since it is a pole building).
2 inch closed cell insulation (which turned out to be 3 inch by my measurement) was $10k
Electrical was about $9k. I probably could have done better on that but it would have taken me months to do what my electrician did. The electrical material cost was stupid high.
We added gutters and downspouts - $1400.
Compressor was $1700. I stopped keeping track when it came to plumbing the compressor, building the mezzanine and putting up peg board and that kinda stuff. So right now I am all in at about $69k with the custom stuff I am doing inside not included. I intend to get a two post lift (add another 4 to 8k) at some point but not for a while.

Finishing the stuff inside has been pretty fun. Doing the Rapidair, peg board and wall stuff, shelves and cabinets.

The best part? When I do not finish something, I turn off the lights and lock up without having to carry everything back indoors and put it in a pile I have to move twice to get the mower out or do any another project.

Last edited:
And we put the last drops in today for the Rapidair and jetted over to Home Depot and HF for some accessories. Now having a couple beers at the local pub.

I am travelling for work wed/thur and then 2-3 weeks starting the 20th. That means the wallet may get a rest but I probably will not have time to finish the compressed air project.

Oh man, that’s a tough read, thanks for the reminder to be happier than we are with what we got.
Oh, BTW, she passed on Thursday. :(

I am home! Compressed air stuff is all in and holding air!
And I got a guilty verdict in the trial. My last one!

20230318_190325.jpg

Pic of the thru wall fitting.

Anyone heard of Best Buy Automotive?
Decent price on 2 post lifts but I understand shipping may be high.
I suspect these may be the same China lifts sold on Amazon.
A lift is probably something one should not "bargain shop" for. :lol:

The new shop is so awesome.
I do not have to worry about not finishing something right now today.
20230711_194948.jpg

Also, new addition to the shop. Donated by @BMThiker. Probably not going to be easy on electrics as these are not well insulated and the light does not work inside (probably the blast and for sure the clips) but it keeps beer and water ice cold.
20230624_153302.jpg

That's a low end 2 post. The cheap ones are extra bendy- your vehicle will bounce and wobble a lot. The safety latches are cheezy and inconvenient to use.

The big one though is they use UHMW pads inside instead of bearings. The UHMW gets crap stuck in it (or maybe it comes with crap in it?) and chews the inside apart as you use it.

I recommend buying a lift with bearings inside.

I have had great experience with this. Similar to what you show. No bendy or wobbly at all. Use it all the time. Shipping was not bad. Have to pick up at a warehouse they deliver to. They have 4 and 2 post lifts.

Look at the shipping weight. The weight for a 9k 2 post should be around 1700 lbs.

Interesting change in how to purchase lift over the last few years ...

When I purchased my lift, Greg Smith Equipment had a warehouse in Atlanta. Now same lifts are offered by Tooltopia.com | Automotive Tools and Equipment | Mechanic Shop - https://www.tooltopia.com/. Local pickup is still an option here in the Atlanta metro, but they also offer free shipping on orders over $100. So why not have it delivered to Rome rather than drive down.

Atlanta, GA​

Address​

1750 Satelitte Blvd NE, Suite 300,
Buford, GA 30518

I’ll chime in here with the Advantage XLT-9000 I bought for my pole barn last fall. I could not have asked for a better 4 post lift. I used it for the FJ40 And FJ45 but it has no difficulty with the suburban or my Silverado diesel pickup. They include a bunch of freebies or incentives including a rolling Jack plate for lifting axles or chassis parts. I also use it as an elevator to bring boxes of Christmas decorations to the tops of the trusses. The safety locks are doubled and the ss cable is triple rated. Plus, with the cantilevered posts, you can roll this beast with one hand anywhere in the shop

IMG_8129.jpeg

IMG_8321.jpeg

View attachment 3377878

I really want a 2 post. Most of the stuff I do seems to be wheel, tire, brake, axle and suspension related. And I am keen on buying American for this although I am not fooling myself that I likely will get just as good a lift for lest money from that other big country.

I really want a 2 post. Most of the stuff I do seems to be wheel, tire, brake, axle and suspension related. And I am keen on buying American for this although I am not fooling myself that I likely will get just as good a lift for lest money from that other big country.
make sure you get something with the button release.
mechanical pin release is so lame.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom