My Turn - The Mega Dream Garage (2 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

I run a mix of 1" copper, 1" rapidair and some air brake tubing here and there. The larger rapidair kits were on a 50% black friday sale from Northern tool a few years ago so I bought a few. No complaints except hard to get the lines nice and straight.

Air compressors are such a simple thing. You'd think they'd cost less than an arm and a leg like they do.

I run a mix of 1" copper, 1" rapidair and some air brake tubing here and there. The larger rapidair kits were on a 50% black friday sale from Northern tool a few years ago so I bought a few. No complaints except hard to get the lines nice and straight.

Air compressors are such a simple thing. You'd think they'd cost less than an arm and a leg like they do.
No doubt! Plus, if you look at them - especially the single stage ones - the only thing different seems to be the color yet the prices are all over the place.

I am not buying one but Rapidair makes a tubing straightener. :lol:

The compressor has arrived and is available for pickup!
Guess I know what I will be doing this fine rainy Friday afternoon.

In other news - if you follow chat this will be a repost - a meth head burglar came on the property and one thing led to another to a chase to an arrest. He was apparently on a county wide crime spree night before last. When :princess: got home she went to inspect the property and discovered the guy was a failure in all things in life, even burglary school. He missed the part where you take stuff and keep it or pawn it apparently. He left this behind in Betsy the Farm Truck:
IMG-20230216-WA0003.jpg
IMG-20230216-WA0004.jpg

When you read articles about picking the wrong place to do crime this should should be included. See, I have been in a line of work for 30 years that takes care of these types of crimes in a fairly aggressive manner. Lets just say that our friend the methhead who was caught on multiple security cameras now has a fed file open and with the appropriate actions in the investigation will be not only looking at state time for multiple burglaries and thefts during his spree of bad decisions but also considerable time in the big house for violations of federal crimes pretaining to being a methhead with a gun. The dude has 15 rotations at the local jail and mentioned in 89 county PD reports. You would think a guy with so much on the job experience would be better at his chosen career. Thankfully for all of us, he is not.

... Lets just say that our friend the methhead who was caught on multiple security cameras now has a fed file open and with the appropriate actions in the investigation will be not only looking at state time for multiple burglaries and thefts during his spree of bad decisions but also considerable time in the big house for violations of federal crimes pretaining to being a methhead with a gun.

He's headed for Federal Pound-me-in-the ass prison!

Glad that it turned out OK.

Wired in and filled. Did not properly plan so I do not have rhe right fitting to go to a ¹/4 hose disconnect.
Also, the compressor has no integrated on/off switch. I think because it is a commercial model. I may add one. It is nice to know it is off and will not run if there is a leak somewhere. Right now I will just flick the breaker.
It was fun to get it set up. A Mudder came over to lend and hand and make fun of the process.

Commercial compressor will use an external mounted contactor box with circuit breaker/heaters. These are turned on and off by opening the circuit between the pressure switch and the contactor control coil with a switch.

If your compressor is setup where the pressure switch takes the full motor load through it's contacts, but it does not have a manual off lever on the pressure switch, you could add an appropriately sized 2 pole switch before or after the pressure switch. Or you could add an external contactor in an external J-box with a switch like a commercial compressor.

I recently setup a NOS new 5HP Quincy QR25 325 compressor for a friend's home shop. I bought this complete setup off Ebay- SQUARE D AIR COMPRESSOR MAGNETIC STARTER 5HP SINGLE PHASE 208-240 VOLT 'OEM' | eBay - https://www.ebay.com/itm/281738313386 It worked great, but looks like it's out of stock now though.

Commercial compressor will use an external mounted contactor box with circuit breaker/heaters. These are turned on and off by opening the circuit between the pressure switch and the contactor control coil with a switch.

If your compressor is setup where the pressure switch takes the full motor load through it's contacts, but it does not have a manual off lever on the pressure switch, you could add an appropriately sized 2 pole switch before or after the pressure switch. Or you could add an external contactor in an external J-box with a switch like a commercial compressor.

I recently setup a NOS new 5HP Quincy QR25 325 compressor for a friend's home shop. I bought this complete setup off Ebay- SQUARE D AIR COMPRESSOR MAGNETIC STARTER 5HP SINGLE PHASE 208-240 VOLT 'OEM' | eBay - https://www.ebay.com/itm/281738313386 It worked great, but looks like it's out of stock now though.
I could just add one of these or similar.

I could also switch out the pressure switch for one with an on/off switch but that would not be ideal since the one that came with the compressor is matched to the compressor's performance.

The similar compressor that is less expensive because is does not have the "commercial motor" and appears to have a less resilient pump does have a manual switch on the pressure switch.

Looks pretty similar to my 25yr old Ingersoll Rand. Have always run on plug so not hard-wired but the few times I had leak issues in the lines all it took was a turn of the cut-off valve at the tank to prevent leak down/running. Of course that assumes no leaks in tank and compressor to tank plumbing.

We hung a big led under the leanto today. Got it for free from a friend. It is a big sealed tube. He used to sell them commercially. When he retired he had a bunch of samples left and gave them away.

Then put some gutter guards on. That was a huge pita. Far easier to put on with an asphalt roof. Still have one long run to do - not sure when I will get to that. It takes two of us to do that project.

Also got 48 feet of LED string lights for under the leanto for mood lighting in the res. We will get thos up tomorrow and I will post pics of both.

Finally, we got a few fittings to make the compressor useable until the Rapidair stuff arrives.

16769304331282118696424935087939.jpg

I call this good enough for now. :meh:

Apparently almost all the Rapidair stuff has already shipped so it will likely be here by the weekend. I still need to order the stainless steel shirt hose to go from the tank to the manifold. I will also be adding cheappo dryers/filters at the drops. (I used HF ones before and they worked just fined.)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom