OME BP-51 OWNERS...... ROLL CALL......... (2 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

I'm selling my BP51s:

What did you replace them with?
Same Koni 90s and King springs from Australia that I've been holding onto for years. Brian Jowett @bjowett had them for sale a while back. I've shanged suspension a dozen times. I'm just done playing around.

Price lowered: If you can pickup I have an even lower price!

Any estimates of what it costs to rebuild these? Also, I assume any good suspension shop could do the rebuild, but making sure OME doesn't insist they do it.

Any estimates of what it costs to rebuild these? Also, I assume any good suspension shop could do the rebuild, but making sure OME doesn't insist they do it.
Not a Clue. I've tried to work with OME/ARB to get pricing but after a dozen emails I'm tired.

Price lowered: If you can pickup I have an even lower price!

The BP51s are heading off to ARB for a rebuild. I'll post more info and review after the work is complete. The very strange thing is they can't find the serial number for my shocks. "They don't exist."

Might have to correct this statement. We did discuss rebuilding with ARB some time ago and they indicated they can do it, but not sure on the turn around. We have not had the opportunity to send a set in for rebuild. Right now we are not sure how that would work or the cost.
Bit of a thread revive. After purchasing these recently I asked the same question ie. how the rebuild option works from arb austrlia.

Arb rebuild the shocks in Melbourne Australia in house. In aus they provide a discounted rate based on an exchange basis to avoid downtime and having a car on stands for 2-4 weeks.

Personally, Id like to see the shocks before completing the handover but tbh would just prefer to wait for my own set to be rebuilt.

Understandably slee off-road is a big supplier in USA to my knowledge, however a small Aussie company has made some shock guards specifically to resolve the issue of the sub par quality shock guards.

Ps/ I really like your rear bars. Are there any Australian stockists?

I still like the BP51s, I hated the stock setup Way too soft. When I try to soften the BP51s I get an effect thats hard to explain. It compresses and then on rebound goes past neutral. The only way I have found to control this is to increase compression.

Anthony
I have this EXACT same issue. Did you ever come up with a good solution/settings?

I have this EXACT same issue. Did you ever come up with a good solution/settings?

Seems to be a common problem with these. I have been fighting this since I got them, and can't find a good middle ground. Setting them soft enough for rough city streets makes them wobble all over on the interstate, and stiffening them just enough not to make people car sick on the interstate makes them unbearably stiff in the city. In the process of finding a replacement now which is a shame.

Last edited:
Seems to be a common problem with these. I have been fighting this since I got them, and can't find a good middle ground. Setting them soft enough for rough city streets makes them wobble all over on the interstate, and stiffening them just enough not to make people car sick on the interstate makes them unbearably stiff in the city. In the process of finding a replacement now which is a shame.
That’s the boat I’m in. Going to switch over to Dobinson MRR.

How often should this suspension be retourqed?

Just listed my BP51s in the classifieds.

Wife called me late yesterday........... "weird sound and some milky brown oil."

Glad it wasn't the milky brown I was afraid of, but this really blows.

Having the factory shocks reinstalled and taking these POS off.

IMG_6455.jpg

IMG_6454.jpg

Wow! Any idea what caused the failure?

Not yet. I happened to drive it some over the past few days and didn't notice anything strange. She was out Christmas shopping when it occurred. No abuse or running into/over anything unusual. Came as a surprise.

The truck hasn't been my personal daily driver for the past 3 years.

Not yet. I happened to drive it some over the past few days and didn't notice anything strange. She was out Christmas shopping when it occurred. No abuse or running into/over anything unusual. Came as a surprise.

The truck hasn't been my personal daily driver for the past 3 years.
She hasn’t been wheeling behind your back has she……….? 🤣

Wife called me late yesterday........... "weird sound and some milky brown oil."

Glad it wasn't the milky brown I was afraid of, but this really blows.

Having the factory shocks reinstalled and taking these POS off.

View attachment 3187443

View attachment 3187444
Nasty. Finding the root cause would be good. While there are better lifts/suspensions, I would not call BP-51 a POS (though I understand the frustration when your wife calls and you see what's in the pic). Mine have been installed for almost 50k miles and 5 years with some significant bashing and off road use. I've never had any issues or even adjusted them other than playing with the adjustments. All I do is grease the UCA every oil change. I figure at 50K I'm getting close to rebuild time but I know that going in.

Edit: I fact checked myself and I've only had the BP-51s for 2.5 years and 40K. Still, no issues.

Last edited:
Nasty. Finding the root cause would be good. While there are better lifts/suspensions, I would not call BP-51 a POS (though I understand the frustration when your wife calls and you see what's in the pic). Mine have been installed for almost 50k miles and 5 years with some significant bashing and off road use. I've never had any issues or even adjusted them other than playing with the adjustments. All I do is grease the UCA every oil change. I figure at 50K I'm getting close to rebuild time but I know that going in.
Same here. No issues for me with about 35k and 3 years on my BP-51's and they have seen a lot of abuse. I just grease the UCA. Fingers crosses I can get another couple years out of them.

Though not as severe as what happened yesterday, I've had my share of issues during ownership. Mostly leaks. Also, one failed shock replaced under warranty, but only after much haggling.

Mine are a very early model. I'd expect improvements have since been made.

Pretty sure I would not buy them again.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom