Builds It was the Prospector's Idea (3 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

One step back, one inch forward.

This weekend was fun. Lots of garage time. Making big improvements, for little money. The college radio station, KGLT, gets turned on shortly after I flip the light switch. Costco now sells MAP brewery's Midas Crush IPA by the case. Life is good.

Our timing cover was leaking again. So we installed another gasket. Using way more FIPG on those bottom bolts this time. I'm a little dissapointed we didn't get this fixed the first time, but on the flipside, it's faster the second time and a straightforward project on a 40.
Still had a vacuum leak, even after installing the intake/exhaust gasket a few weeks ago. Was only around 13-14 inches of vacuum. We had around 15 after working through everything earlier this year. So I set 15 inches vacuum as our benchmark. Installed a new PCV valve and gasket at carb/intake.
Took this time to go through the carb again. We ordered another carb rebuild kit just in case. I'm glad we did. The accelerator pump rubber cap was disintegrated and the pump rubber looked rough. I think there were some ports that were still clogged or newly clogged. We never drained and cleaned the gas tank and perhaps some crud made it's way into the carb.
The rear heater showed up from fleabay. Found a Maradyne unit for $159 shipped. That aught to do for a few more years. It's loud, but throws enough heat to be helpful. Replaced a heater hose and wired the switch to be attached to the unit. Mrs 90WT and grom #2 helped with the install. Fun to have them working on the 40 too!

After hooking up the vacuum gage, happily surprised to see our 15 inches of merc return. And after a little tuning, very nearly saw 16! I'll take it! And still can't believe this 50 year old jalopy is still hummin.

IMG-8880.jpg
IMG-8887.jpg
IMG-8901.jpg
IMG-8888.jpg
IMG-8902.jpg

Not much new. Been working on the LX the last few weeks prepping for Cruise Moab. The 40 has been primary mode of transport during that time. I miss the heated seats, but otherwise the 40 is a solid rig for getting around.

IMG-9639.jpg

Well, after another successful Cruise Moab trib in the Hundy, we've decided to run the 40 at CM next year. Expecting it to be a whole 'nuther level of adventure.

We've got a lot of prep to do. Might as well start now. Drivelines need some love. And round two of seat adventures.

Front U-joints:
IMG-0347.jpg

Rear seat mockup. Super stoked if it works out as planned.

IMG-0314.jpg

those spiders look dry and rusty

Power it up with a tuned 6BT cummins under that hood!
That would be rad. For the record, I’m not chasing this one. But if you bribe me with flys I might point you in the right direction. ;)

That would be rad. For the record, I’m not chasing this one. But if you bribe me with flys I might point you in the right direction. ;)
A teenage daughter about to go to college, and another one just starting her freshman year in high school, the last thing I need now is any type of project like that!

Aside from maybe the 250 gallon smoker project I'm working on currently.
20220921_191535.jpg
20220921_191544.jpg

Aside from maybe the 250 gallon smoker project I'm working on currently.
I'll be able to smell the meat from here. :beer:

The space is what's killing me the most. My next project needs to come with a few acres.

Luxurious seating for 4.

GX470 seats in a FJ40?! Oh heck yeah!

Our 40 came with only front seats which limited our fun potential. Faced with sourcing original side facing seats and re-upholstering, or fab-ing up some aftermarket seat, we decided forward facing was better for us and the cost would probably wash out.

GX470 third row seats and seat belts were easily sourced on Craigslist. We used the OEM quick release mounting brackets, so the seats can be removed. Fold forward and tip sideways just like intended in the GX. Plenty of room under the seats for storage bins or future drawers. So excited this came together! Huge thanks to Sailor at Heliarc Designs here in Bozeman for the fab work. He's always up for a fun challenge, and our family is stoked to enjoy this mod.

IMG-1580.jpg

IMG-1581.jpg
IMG-1582.jpg
IMG-1583.jpg
IMG-1584.jpg

Last edited:
OME + KO2 = OMG

A long time in the works. I started soaking all the bolts/bushings in Kroil about 6 months ago. You could see all the bushings were shot. The springs had almost no flex left in them. The OME lift arrived from Cruiser Outfitters in September. Excellent customer service from @cruiseroutfit as always. BFG had a rebate over Thanksgiving, so that made sense. The local Big-O even price matched Discount Tires price. 60 Rims were sourced from @3_puppies last year. And they look rad. I didn't even clean the dirt off! :hillbilly: The lift from OME was a no brainer, but gosh I spent too much time obsessing over rim and tire combos. Glad to have that decision come to a close.

2-1/2 inch OME with 33x10.5x15 KO2s. Final result: 4 inches of overall body lift.

Pretty Flat:
IMG-1942.jpg

All the pins and bushings were crusty.
IMG-1965.jpg

OME goodies.
IMG-1958.jpg

Final result.
IMG-2012.jpg

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom