Builds It was the Prospector's Idea (2 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Pretty sure 8,274 is the number of times I have refreshed my web brower until Sweet Lady of FB Marketplace Luck picked me to be the winner. Drove 110 miles one way last night to trade 3 Benjamins for yet another piece of 40+ year old machinery. I am so excited, my hands are still shaking as I post this. (Might be the coffee). It needs a light service, but is functioning and seems in good shape. Gonna need to figure out a mounting bracket.

And yes, like a responsible adult, I'm gonna wrap it, drag it under the tree, and thank Santa on Christmas morning.

IMG_4727.jpeg

So rad. I’ve rebuilt two in the past Matt. If I can help don’t hesitate to hollar.

If it were me I’d toss out the 40 year old solenoid packs and pop In one of the new all in one brains.

These guys are the kings of the 8274…

Let's talk about your flare.

A while back I had the rear end up in the air and found side-to-side play in both rear wheels. Finally got around to replacing the rear bearings this week. It's a fairly straight forward repair, although removing the races from axles takes some effort. Used a small cutting wheel to cut a groove in the races, then a steel chisel to split the remaining. (Careful not to cut the axle). Special thanks to @elkun1 for helping with the races and sharing his shop press.

Seemed like a good time to replace the fender flares too. Picked up a used set from @REZARF a while back. The ones I took off were definitely plastic whereas these are more rubbery and bendy (technical description). Finally scraped up enough coin for the several hundred high performance pop rivets required for the desired speed rating. Taking special care to avoid paint damage during install. #gonnabebeigeagainsomeday :hillbilly:

IMG_5476.jpeg

IMG_5478.jpeg

Old Flares and "new"Flares:

IMG_5480.jpeg

IMG_5483.jpeg

Cable hookup.

Been wrenching this week to get the winch mounted. Sourced a front bumper from @elkun1 that accepts the Warn. (Thanks, Ron!) Drilled holes in the front bumper side plates and installed a 9/16 Grade 8 on each side through the frame. Should help out those two tiny rivets keep the bumper and frame in contact.

The winch install was straightforward. The cable is missing a thimble and hook. I haven't spooled the entire cable yet. If it's bad, might swap to synthetic line.

Ticking of a few other misc projects too. Had to move the fog lights and now I don't know where to put the license plate. :meh: Installed another 12v socket in the glove box. Added LED rock lights with relay & switch. That took some time and I'm not sure I'll use it very often, but seemed like a fun waste of an afternoon.

Another round of snow warranted a drive-about. The Prospector was in school so didn't get to come along. I will say though he appreciates when I bring it back dirty and immediately gave me a thumbs up. Doesn't mean he's gonna wash it though. :frown: The new rear wheel bearings are a notable improvement.

IMG_5544.jpeg

IMG_5546.jpeg

IMG_5588.jpeg

IMG_5597.jpeg

IMG_5600.jpeg

Cable hookup.

Been wrenching this week to get the winch mounted. Sourced a front bumper from @elkun1 that accepts the Warn. (Thanks, Ron!) Drilled holes in the front bumper side plates and installed a 9/16 Grade 8 on each side through the frame. Should help out those two tiny rivets keep the bumper and frame in contact.

The winch install was straightforward. The cable is missing a thimble and hook. I haven't spooled the entire cable yet. If it's bad, might swap to synthetic line.

Ticking of a few other misc projects too. Had to move the fog lights and now I don't know where to put the license plate. :meh: Installed another 12v socket in the glove box. Added LED rock lights with relay & switch. That took some time and I'm not sure I'll use it very often, but seemed like a fun waste of an afternoon.

Another round of snow warranted a drive-about. The Prospector was in school so didn't get to come along. I will say though he appreciates when I bring it back dirty and immediately gave me a thumbs up. Doesn't mean he's gonna wash it though. :frown: The new rear wheel bearings are a notable improvement.

View attachment 3569193

View attachment 3569195

View attachment 3569205

View attachment 3569206

View attachment 3569207
bowser gave me that bumper years ago out of his stash, went a different route so never used it. glad it worked out plus i don't have to trip over it anymore

bowser gave me that bumper years ago out of his stash, went a different route so never used it. glad it worked out plus i don't have to trip over it anymore
So happy I didn't have to fab up something from scratch. I'm still without a welder, but that might change soon.
And thanks @Bowser for the hand me downs! As per usual, I didn't even wash or clean it. Just bolted that sucker right on.

Matt, you know if you keep prettyin up that old 40 you won't want to take it anywhere but dq. there's been no mention of a 40's only run that i have noticed. c'mon guys lets find another trail worthy of the 40's for this year

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom