What Did You Do with Your 80 This Weekend? (69 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

A climate “activist “ superglued their hands to the back of my 80. I didn’t notice and went wheeling with the stereo cranked. When I went to wash the truck I found a very tired millennial behind the vehicle. My question: what is the best way to get thiss barnacle off my 80 without damaging the paint?
caramel wheel, wear hearing protection

Got my cruiser cleaned out as she’s going into the shop tomorrow…theough my LC shop, they recommended a glass place that knows how to deal with the Land Cruiser windshield gasket R/R…picked up the gasket (OEM) last week and labor will be $150

They aren’t replacing the glass as it’s original and no marks, scratches, or cracks 👍

The factory gasket is super brittle in a lot of places and I think the PO tried to pull it; it’s been pried back in the inside also so they could run a mic wire. ALSO, there’s a bit of bubbling on the passenger side, and it looks like it’s coming up on the very bottom.

Here are some pics of the gasket.

View attachment 3167054

View attachment 3167055

View attachment 3167056

View attachment 3167057

View attachment 3167058
Please take pics of this area after the gasket and glass is pulled so I can get an idea what to expect on mine, as mine looks just like this.

53ED226B-247C-40A2-A773-823049784A74.jpeg

Return of the D light! This was as straightforward as everyone stated in previous threads. I removed the top steering column cover bc it took less than 30 sec and definitely gave me the extra wiggle room to easily remove the instrument cluster assembly.

In terms of removing the cluster assembly the easiest way for me to pull it out of its housing was to tilt the bottom edge towards me and then remove the connectors in the back.

From the YouTube vids I watched people struggled a little with removing the gear indicator cluster. I found holding all 3 tabs w tooth picks made extraction a breeze.

This took me an hour. But now that I’ve done it once I imagine I could do it in half the time, when I do it again.

I went with all OEM bulbs. My PWR light was also out.

9077ED7F-251E-4C99-97A7-1780E7FE7EC4.jpeg

Please take pics of this area after the gasket and glass is pulled so I can get an idea what to expect on mine, as mine looks just like this.
I’ll ask them to get some and send them to me 👍

Installed my front adjustable pan-hard bar and got it all dialed in. Also added a RAM mount for my ham radio.

EB485263-257B-4C82-831D-4F5D8A7A8E6E.jpeg

C94F7069-759D-42B6-B488-FC394FDA0CDF.jpeg

C9EA8232-0A35-4D45-B387-8663627A15FE.jpeg

Got my cruiser cleaned out as she’s going into the shop tomorrow…theough my LC shop, they recommended a glass place that knows how to deal with the Land Cruiser windshield gasket R/R…picked up the gasket (OEM) last week and labor will be $150

They aren’t replacing the glass as it’s original and no marks, scratches, or cracks 👍

The factory gasket is super brittle in a lot of places and I think the PO tried to pull it; it’s been pried back in the inside also so they could run a mic wire. ALSO, there’s a bit of bubbling on the passenger side, and it looks like it’s coming up on the very bottom.

Here are some pics of the gasket.

View attachment 3167054

View attachment 3167055

View attachment 3167056

View attachment 3167057

View attachment 3167058
Maybe there's a bit of brevity in your post, but there's a highly likely chance that you have rust where there's bubbling.

Also, your windshield reads "PILKINGTON" which isn't original OEM (ASAHI) and is very likely the culprit (someone else's negligence) to your rust issues that you probably want addressed before slapping on new gasket on there. Good luck with it!

View attachment 3167078

Return of the D light! This was as straightforward as everyone stated in previous threads. I removed the top steering column cover bc it took less than 30 sec and definitely gave me the extra wiggle room to easily remove the instrument cluster assembly.

In terms of removing the cluster assembly the easiest way for me to pull it out of its housing was to tilt the bottom edge towards me and then remove the connectors in the back.

From the YouTube vids I watched people struggled a little with removing the gear indicator cluster. I found holding all 3 tabs w tooth picks made extraction a breeze.

This took me an hour. But now that I’ve done it once I imagine I could do it in half the time, when I do it again.

I went with all OEM bulbs. My PWR light was also out.

View attachment 3167080
Toothpick technique is choice. I broke one of the tabs (kinda brittle) so ended up sourcing a new cluster (which comes with new bulbs pre-installed).

Maybe there's a bit of brevity in your post, but there's a highly likely chance that you have rust where there's bubbling.

Also, your windshield reads "PILKINGTON" which isn't original OEM (ASAHI) and is very likely the culprit (someone else's negligence) to your rust issues that you probably want addressed before slapping on new gasket on there. Good luck with it!
I didn’t know that, thanks!
My LC shop mentioned it was factory glass. I’ll take a closer look, thanks!

👍👍

Today was all about loading the rig up to have it ready to drive it into a 20 foot box for shipment to Colombia tomorrow.

Really happy with the medical kits I put together. We’ll be pretty remote at times so I’ve got a trauma bag, a robust first aid kit, and an ortho kit. Didn’t forget the medicinal whiskey.

820B3777-4981-4321-A570-0D53958F9C74.jpeg

8C5370A4-17CF-4409-AEE9-38449A3A8837.jpeg

3C487600-189A-4B65-984B-21EA21F64409.jpeg

Just arrived from jpn. Becoming that old guy hoarding Toyota parts guy.

It's not a problem. We can stop any time we choose...:rofl:

Says the guy with 3 shelves loaded with parts in the basement.....

Just dropped her off at the glass shop. Owner is really knowledgeable about Cruisers and the gasket R/R process...stated he had a RHD model in last week.

Showed him the small area that is bubbling and he noted he's take a good look and see where to go with it.
I asked him for photos as a few people have sent me PM's asking for the same thing you have. I'll probably write up an entire thread about it after everything is said and done.

Another user mentioned the glass is NOT OEM, which this glass shop verified...so it looks as though the PO replaced the windshield and had a shoddy replacement OR the shop they went to just didn't know what they were doing.

Hell, I didn't know there was a specific process until I happened to mention it to my LC shop and I went looking here on MUD... I'm glad I did!

D.

Got out to AOAA for a fall run in the woods with Keystone Cruisers and a Gotham member. I was able to get redemption on an obstacle that almost flopped me on my side in 2019. The exit pic doesn't do it justice. The left side exit is 36-40" vertical mud wall. I was hung up for a min on 3 wheels since I didn't expect the driver's front to hang up on that hump, but front locker to the rescue.

PXL_20221112_185708376.jpg

PXL_20221112_185743104.jpg

PXL_20221112_185833052.jpg

PXL_20221112_185857782.jpg

original_b76a3d4a-bd5c-4544-a49d-411d447359cc_PXL_20221112_185900516.jpg

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom