Builds 76 Fj40 Face Lift (17 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Catching up today with some of the products I picked up from @ToyotaMatt.

Things started out a little sketchy, battery was dead. Apparently, I'm not sure who but, someone left the marker, interior lights on for the last week or so. Wait till I find out who's responsible. :rolleyes:

Anyway, Mules on the 12V drip. I did add the LED to the under-dash pad light. Can't comment on how bright it is just yet. 1st pic is the old/vice new. Note the difference in the ends. Pretty sure the LED is nice and secure. Although the original light does have the pointed ends that fit into the fixture with a bit more authority IE pointed end into a dimpled indent.

Anyway, I’ll post up pics as soon as I have juice…

IMG_3370.JPG

IMG_3371.JPG

6DF4C789-82A0-4F02-8EF1-E75E8F92D413.jpeg

Last edited:
Added an alternator sliding tensioner from Vintage TEQ. Very nice piece of kit. Fit and finish is excellent.

@ToyotaMatt

71A0D96D-C27B-42E4-BA0D-C46E8EE9FBC9.jpeg

7F82EE65-CD11-4090-9E2D-076D25B58E93.jpeg

6EBC91A5-3A62-48B3-8FBB-45469EEBC0C3.jpeg

CF4884DA-6255-4819-B8C4-BE59015C1376.jpeg

I think at some point in the distant past I used a random carb return spring that I had laying around the storage bld. It worked/works but never had a good crisp return. So I replaced the carb return spring. Noticeable difference. You can see the new spring has a little tension on it compared to the old one.

Old/New

A15FE886-AE99-4DFF-AC60-7B56D9FAE4E9.jpeg

F79E2E5D-30A3-4428-96F0-1B4B4CA324A2.jpeg

Sometimes little things can make a big difference. This is one of them.

@65swb45

Package from sunny Burbank arrived today...:bounce:

When you hit the "way back button" on the life and times of the Mule, you will find one of the 1st and foremost mods the Mule ever boasted was a "Marks header". There are several vendors here on MUD who have contributed, and still contribute, to the care and feeding of my diamond plated companion, whom I salute and appreciate.

But, Mr Mark, was the 1st Amigo, from back in the day of the storage Bld, who spoke to me personally on the phone and worked with me through all the "Newb" questions, machinations, misconceptions and outright outlandish ideas I had.

I appreciate you catching my "Tcase" malfunction, doing yeomen's work on the Trans/Tcase rebuild and helping out with my mere "Mortal Men" questions. :rolleyes:

You Sir, are one cantankerous SOB when you put your mind to it, and I wouldn't have it any other way. There is a "Mason Jar" with your name on it sitting in my cupboard in the event you ever come East...:beer: You can stop in fer' a spell, sit outside by the fire, take a sip, watch the sun die down, and strum a little "STP" on the 6 string.

Thanks again Mijo...

IMG_3389.JPG

IMG_3388.JPG

One more piece of the shifter puzzle. By my sophomoric calculations I just need the 2 plastic inserts. I have a set coming and they should be here within a few days.

I do have a couple questions on the install:

1. Based on experience, Is it better to mate the Tcase/Trans then install?
2. Trans 1st and TCase as a follow on?

Im doing everything out of a buddies garage W/lift. Installing new oil pan gasket, rear seal, clutch and TO bearing also.

PRO tips are appreciated..

7593BD9C-EB79-4ECF-B6CD-03D17CCF931C.jpeg

Last edited:
One more piece of the shifter puzzle. By my sophomoric calculations I just need the 2 plastic inserts. I have a set coming and they should be here within a few days.

Im doing everything out of a buddies garage W/left. Installing new oil pan gasket, rear seal, clutch and TO bearing also.

View attachment 3076250
That reminds me that I need to shorten mine up. Apparently longer isn’t better in this application…..

Im doing everything out of a buddies garage W/left. Installing new oil pan gasket, rear seal, clutch and TO bearing also.

Install it all together as one unit.

Also, if you can get a couple longer than stock(3-4"or so) Bell housing bolts from your local hardware or wherever and cut the heads off you'll have a sweet set of lineup dowels you can thread in the block by hand that can make aligning everything a little easier

Install as one piece. If you decide to try @Homey15 suggestion, only use three bolts as guides. The fourth, upper right, has an interference issue with the bulge in the transmission case.

I also find it helpful to disconnect the exhaust pipe, remove the pucks from the rear motor mount arms, and tip the engine down a bit.

Also, if you can get a couple longer than stock(3-4"or so) Bell housing bolts from your local hardware or wherever and cut the heads off you'll have a sweet set of lineup dowels you can thread in the block by hand that can make aligning everything a little easier

Install as one piece. If you decide to try @Homey15 suggestion, only use three bolts as guides. The fourth, upper right, has an interference issue with the bulge in the transmission case.

I also find it helpful to disconnect the exhaust pipe, remove the pucks from the rear motor mount arms, and tip the engine down a bit.

Sage advice….^^^ Trying to get things lined up for early/mid fall-ish Installation.

E-brake repair kit arrived today...Two day delivery. What? I thought Saturday at the earliest. Yotaverse smiles. 😁

I lost track of time this week helping "lake buddy" untangle his personal belongings from a domestic alternate universe.
:meh:

IMG_3462.JPG

IMG_3463.JPG

IMG_3464.JPG

Last edited:
I thought about asking how lake buddy was doing.

I thought about asking how lake buddy was doing.

I think it depends on the moment…I pulled up the other day and he had that “pilgrim in the land of the lost” look. He‘s moving out Monday and spending weekends at his brothers condo in Canaan Valley. Good news is through the week he’ll be living in the Frat house. At any given time there’s 5-6 guys who are staying there. All friends and co-workers so he’s in good hands. I gave him the go ahead to send his mail here so I’ll see him at least a couple times a week for mail call.

I gave him a leisurely ride around the compound in the Mule. He was grinning at the end. I‘ll take that as a good sign.

@65swb45

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom