What did you do on your 70 series today? (55 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Custom tank or?
I wish, could not find a shop that deals with the hassle of custom but that would have been nice. This is a ford tank from a company called "Boyd welding". Pretty happy with how high quality this tank is, top notch work!! Bit of a compromise like everything but to source / ship and put in a "toyota" 90l sub tank was going to be twice the cost of this one and a 160l LRA tank was going to be 5 times the cost. This one fitted the bill and does not hang down like a 3rd nut on a greyhound. Fabricating my own Trey bed for this so plenty of room to tuck this one up into the chassis

Full knuckle maintenance on the BJ70 [all seals and bearings plus new rotors/pads]
Started Saturday afternoon and finished earlier this afternoon. Clearly, too slow to pretend that I saved any money.

Kit was from Cruiser Outfitters. Very impressive kit - exacting fit on every part and complete (not just typical seals/gaskets in a knuckle kit, but every bearing, every race, star lock, grease seal and oil seal were included. The only things I added were the rotors and pads. Kudos and thanks to Cruiser Outfitters

Left..jpg
Right.jpg

Due to the pandemic I was not allowed to return to my home in the Philippines until several days ago.
Upon my return I had to do a thorough inspection of the truck.
Many thanks to a family member who periodically drove the truck to keep parts and seals lubricated.
Difficult to believe it's been 2.5 years since I sat in my truck.
I went down to the local gas station and pumped 20L into the tank.
Took the truck for a drive locally and was amazed at what has changed in town.
There is a new mini mall, some local shops have changed hands and some are still closed.

Spent part of the day installing the new rubber seals that goes between the OEM flare and body after I got the rest of the flares cleaned up with old rubber removed. Not too hard but the rubber seal was kinda tricky around the corners. No more dry cracked rubber that will let water go in.

rubber4.JPG

Well, 1 folding wiper arm arrived! LOL! The other is on its way from UAE. Purchased from Megazip. They are cool, I’ve realized that the wiper has to be lifted prior to unscrewing to release tension. Then when it’s unscrewed and folded and the tension of the spring keeps it against the glass so it won’t rattle. The other arrives next week.

38ADFBD2-3F2E-4B48-84F8-3D91C51CDA23.jpeg

That is how it is getting now. You have to get parts from multiple sources even if it is a left and right wiper assy.

Some of the rubber seals I used on the flares today are no longer available on partsouq and also shows sold out on other usual platforms including ebay (for the rear sections p/n: 6178360020 or 6178460020). Thankfully I had gotten them last year. I wanted to get extras and can't find them anywhere (Haven't tried Dave yet).

Bad news for anyone with a 76/77 or 78 prado with flares needing to replace the rear flare rubbers except you can cheat and use 5385190K0001 (which is for the front flares) and just trim it. It is the same thing but just longer.

Last edited:
Got our 40 running well and finally braking. Took to for a beach cruise with the troopy cause if anything is wrong with a car, the sand will bring it to the surface. Only issue was it got a bit hot, like 210f, we need to put a shroud around the fan and it should be fine after that. I just finished putting an aussie locker in the front of the troopy and its a game-changer... even on sand! I was surprised at how much it helps just for driving on the beach, can't wait to test it out at Moab this summer.

EDS_0396.jpg

EDS_0103.jpg

Quick meetup with @LuckyDevil and his BJ74
EDS_0089.jpg

EDS_0638.jpg

Got our 40 running well and finally braking. Took to for a beach cruise with the troopy cause if anything is wrong with a car, the sand will bring it to the surface. Only issue was it got a bit hot, like 210f, we need to put a shroud around the fan and it should be fine after that.
If it's been sitting a while, double check that the t-stat isn't stuck and is operating.

Hey all, please flag if inappropriate, but I am considering selling the old girl. Ahead of a formal classified ad, I wanted to reach out to the core community and see if anybody would be interested. Ultimately I just don't have the time, space, and resources to have a daily that needs an overhaul. I will be 100% transparent about the state of things.

In other words, I ran into a white (14Bt if I heard correctly) BJ74 in the wild yesterday at Indian Gardens outside Sedona, AZ. Good to meet ya mate if you're on here. We started chatting before I could snap any pics.

I was trying to get some plain cards for the 77 to use sometime down the road. I thought I got a grey set but they are brown which I suspected before they arrived when I looked at the pictures closer. :bang: These are new take offs off some 2021 GRJ76, one still has plastic around the bottom and they do all look brand new. Toyota makes it very hard to order new grey ones the way you want them...they either show up not available or blocked for overseas sale.

oh well....will keep looking for a grey set.

cards2.JPG

I was trying to get some plain cards for the 77 to use sometime down the road. I thought I got a grey set but they are brown which I suspected before they arrived when I looked at the pictures closer. :bang: These are new take offs off some 2021 GRJ76, one still has plastic around the bottom and they do all look brand new. Toyota makes it very hard to order new grey ones the way you want them...they either show up not available or blocked for overseas sale.

oh well....will keep looking for a grey set.

View attachment 3022298
P.M. sent

Spent part of the day installing the new rubber seals that goes between the OEM flare and body after I got the rest of the flares cleaned up with old rubber removed. Not too hard but the rubber seal was kinda tricky around the corners. No more dry cracked rubber that will let water go in.

View attachment 3021428
@FJ73Texas ! I need to do this job, if you don't mind, where did you get replacement seals and how hard of a job is it?

Thanks

I realize these aren't OEM and not 70-series specific, but I used these on our 80 series flares and they worked well. Think they'd work on the 7* flare as well?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom