Heater Hose T Upgrade for my 200 (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
With the known Heater Hose T failures with the 100 series, I decided to upgrade my 2010 200 series Heater Hose T’s. I now have a 173k on my 200 and was concerned how long these plastic parts can hold up long term.

Found an exact match by Dorman (see pic below). I used Breeze SS Constant Torque Clamps with this modification. The clamps seemed to provide a better fit with the T’s vs. reuse of the OEM clamps.

C1006878-BCEA-4703-ADF1-0ADB917A212B.jpeg

31816FCF-A89E-46F3-8816-7686FBDFCBB5.jpeg

FE81D030-F7E5-489E-9AB8-48528397FDF9.jpeg

Haven't heard of any failures but seems like a good idea. So nothing else to it but just swapping them out when the truck is off?

Haven't heard of any failures but seems like a good idea. So nothing else to it but just swapping them out when the truck is off?
Haven’t heard of any failures either with the 200’s. It was an easy and inexpensive upgrade, so that’s why I went with it. I guess it is just peace of mind when running higher mileage vehicles.

Good bit of insurance at that mileage.

I replaced my 100 series Tees at 180k and they disintegrated as I did the work. Granted your original tees above look like they're in good condition.

Do you guys have the PN's for the heater T assemblies (includes the heater T's and all hoses)?

just ordered these parts - thanks guys

I want to share my failed experience to replace OEM heater hose T with new metal Ts. My 2015 LX570 has 91k miles, I wanted to do a preventative replacement of OEM Ts with metal Dorman 56387 mentioned by other members earlier in this thread.

After replacing both Ts with the metal parts I started the engine. After a while when engine got hot, I saw smoke started coming out of the hose area, upon further check, there was coolant leak out of the new heater hose T area. I was using the old hose clamps. that might be the reason for weak Connection between the Ts and hoses. The metal T probably needed a stronger clamp to seal with the hoses.

The OEM Ts are in good shape, so I just swapped back to the OEM Ts. I felt after disconnecting and reconnecting the hoses twice, the hoses might not bind to the T as strong as before. I don’t want to mess with it again without using new hoses and new clamps. think I will just use the old T for now. hopefully they can last another 30k miles. I would order OEM Ts with new hoses and clamps together as a kit to replace them, when it is time to replace spark plugs at 120k miles. Removing both T assembly seem to open up the space allowing access to the plug below, which is difficult to access without removing the hoses.

I want to share my failed experience to replace OEM heater hose T with new metal Ts. My 2015 LX570 has 91k miles, I wanted to do a preventative replacement of OEM Ts with metal Dorman 56387 mentioned by other members earlier in this thread.

After replacing both Ts with the metal parts I started the engine. After a while when engine got hot, I saw smoke started coming out of the hose area, upon further check, there was coolant leak out of the new heater hose T area. I was using the old hose clamps. that might be the reason for weak Connection between the Ts and hoses. The metal T probably needed a stronger clamp to seal with the hoses.

The OEM Ts are in good shape, so I just swapped back to the OEM Ts. I felt after disconnecting and reconnecting the hoses twice, the hoses might not bind to the T as strong as before. I don’t want to mess with it again without using new hoses and new clamps. think I will just use the old T for now. hopefully they can last another 30k miles. I would order OEM Ts with new hoses and clamps together as a kit to replace them, when it is time to replace spark plugs at 120k miles. Removing both T assembly seem to open up the space allowing access to the plug below, which is difficult to access without removing the hoses.

How were your parts when they were out? If not discolored brown I’d say there is no need to change them. I flushed coolant and gave mine a look at ~130k miles.. they were as-new.

Also your experience highlights an issue with the OEM spring clamps. They work GREAT for totally stock hose and tube diameters. But if anything changes, even slightly, they might not seal well.

When i installed the Dorman Tee's, they were not the correct fit to the hoses. I ordered the OEM plastic tees and replaced the Dormans. I have a set of the Dormans free for the shipping, if anyone wants them.

How were your parts when they were out? If not discolored brown I’d say there is no need to change them. I flushed coolant and gave mine a look at ~130k miles.. they were as-new.

Also your experience highlights an issue with the OEM spring clamps. They work GREAT for totally stock hose and tube diameters. But if anything changes, even slightly, they might not seal well.
The Ts had no discoloured brown, and they felt as strong as new. I had a picture of OEM vs new metal T before putting the metal ones on.

E67F7519-E6DB-4E5E-A85B-68586C88299C.jpeg

I installed the Dorman Metal Tees when I got my cruiser 2 years ago (with new worm drive hose clamps). At the time it had about 206k miles on it and was 10 years old and the old Tees showed some brown and even a chunk broke off of one when removing., I think the heater Tees in the 200s are slightly more robust than the 100 series, but most of the reason we haven't seen the Tees failing on 200s as much as 100s is just that the 200 series hasn't been around long enough. That said, I'd recommend a 200k mile replacement at minimum to be certain.

What Toyota red coolant is everyone using?

Perfect thanks.

I hadn't seen much on this in the 200 section like the old 100's, but I had one heater T let go this weekend. It has 205k miles. Probably overdue but just a reminder that as these rigs get older we may see more of this common issue and it's cheap and easy to fix ahead of time 👍🏼

I was looking into an unrelated issue and heard water pouring on the ground. Heater T completely let go. 249k miles.

There are two.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom