To H55 or not, that is the question (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

I'm talking about those times when you really wanna get moving quickly so you rev it up like you are about to drag race and have to slip the clutch to keep from stalling. I avoid doing this.
ahhhhhhh, never thought about drag racin my 60 tbh :rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl:

This chart is wrong. H42 and h55f do not mirror gear ratios in gears 1-3. See link TLC FAQ - 8.1 Transmission & transfer Case Ratios (All :1) - https://www.cruiserfaq.com/08-01.php
This chart is listing H41 B,F,2H Gear ratios as an H42.
The H41 for certian cruisers will mirror h55f gears 1-4,

The h42 FJ60's first gear is 3.555:1

Edit: it may not be "wrong" but your link is listed on an Australian website. Who knows what they have over there. For US spec the h42 and h55f are 90% different with the transmission casing being the only compatible part that im aware of.
Thank you, good to know.

It doesn’t bother me. It can roll off in 2nd with a 2F and 3.70 gears. 4.11 would be second gear starts for sure.
If your carb and timing aren't set up right you'll definitely notice it. At least I did. I was tired of messing with my carb all the time and chasing this very issue so I went ahead and desmogged and put in a Sniper after I did the H55F. I'm also running headers now, but I'm not sure how much that is affecting things. With 33s (actually 32) the sniper, 4:11 gears, and an H55F this truck is probably the best it will ever get outside of dropping a diesel in it. I think maybe a true 33 in a narrow 9" would be the top of this set up. I can put it in 1st and release the brake and clutch, never touching the gas, and it will start on a steep incline against a curb or a rock and crawl right over it with no persuasion from the throttle. I'm pretty satisfied. 1st and 2nd do come and go pretty fast in town, but it's not a deal breaker for me.

My H42 also shifted easier between gears. With the gearing closer together, it just made in-city driving much easier. I'm always fighting a bit with the gearing on the H55 when driving a lot in-city. I'll probably keep the H42 in my next land cruiser. But I do really like traveling long distances and being off-road with the H55.

My H42 also shifted easier between gears. With the gearing closer together, it just made in-city driving much easier. I'm always fighting a bit with the gearing on the H55 when driving a lot in-city. I'll probably keep the H42 in my next land cruiser. But I do really like traveling long distances and being off-road with the H55.

😁👆

If you are racing around with short distance driving it is hard to beat a H42 for ease of shifting.

I don’t drive mind daily. But I do drive long distances to wheel both of these make the h55 worth it.

If you daily it consider. 33’s and 3.70’s with a h42 (if you want more off road chops add 3:1 sumo gears) will get you dang near the same highway performance (speed) albeit a slightly higher rpm.

1645981326900.png

I'm not sure if this is useful or not but I find it to be a helpful starting point for imagining on-road scenarios with the different setups. I like that the sweet spot speed for 4th with H42/3.70/33s setup is almost identical to 5th with H55/4.10/31s.

.. if you're needing a Supervisor for the job or a tool handler. HMU...you're pretty close by. I'm around till end of the month. GLW the swap :)

Screenshot_20220413-171214.jpg

.. if you're needing a Supervisor for the job or a tool handler. HMU...you're pretty close by. I'm around till end of the month. GLW the swap :)

View attachment 2980640
Thanks! I'll keep you posted. I'm waiting on my engine now but will probably pull the Tcase off the truck now and get it mounted to this transmission in advance. Once the engine arrives it will be full on swap time! Can't wait.

Thanks! I'll keep you posted. I'm waiting on my engine now but will probably pull the Tcase off the truck now and get it mounted to this transmission in advance. Once the engine arrives it will be full on swap time! Can't wait.
gnna rebuild the T-Case while apart ya? Also, great time to do the Clutch... im no expert jus passin on what was told to me.

Yes, I got the t case rebuild kit from Kurt. I’ve also got a brand new clutch and will be having the flywheel resurfaced while everything is out.
wooooooooooooooooooooooooooo excite!!! :) Resurfacing the fly wheel is cheap...like $20-$40

I like where this is going, and I’m on a similar path with my 60 (I’m also about 2hrs North of you on the NY side).

I currently have a new h55 waiting in the garage and I’ve torn down a spare t-case for a rebuild. After I finish cleaning the case, I’ll start reassembly on the new tranny, then pull the original h42 &t-case and swap in the new goodness. I’ll also do the clutch and a few other items at the same time.

@cruiseroutfit Im getting ready to reassemble the t case on to the transmission and have a quick question. In the small plastic bag you shipped that has the 5th gear oiler, there are also two O rings (see picture below for clarification). Where do these go? Thanks in advance for the help.

cheers, James

40AED9F9-B422-4FBD-AA2B-30BC104DD2CA.jpeg

There's only two criteria for answering this:

1) Do you have the funds?
2) Can you drive a stick?

If both of those are met there is no question. Since having it done on my 62 I've only looked back once, and that was this last week while struggling with a cracked rib (makes shifting into 3rd and fifth downright painful until I heal).

@cruiseroutfit I got this swag with my last order that I haven't figured out. It's like a rubber patch with Velcro. It's cool, but what's it for?

@cruiseroutfit Im getting ready to reassemble the t case on to the transmission and have a quick question. In the small plastic bag you shipped that has the 5th gear oiler, there are also two O rings (see picture below for clarification). Where do these go? Thanks in advance for the help.

cheers, James

View attachment 3009498

I'm reading backwards, it looks like part# OIL21176, check your invoice/packing slip but those are oil cooler o-rings. Assuming you ordered those along with trans parts.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom