Fj60 Shaking tons after 30 mph (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Did you replace the bushings on that one shock?

Also remind me....did you try putting the front tires on the rear and the rears on the front and verify tire pressure? And I'd also have the balance checked on a machine. Maybe you have a bent rim that had a lot of wheel weights on it and some came off. Tires, bent rims, and balance problems are usually what cause driving vibration.
Thanks,
I did replace the missing/broken bushing on the one shock. The other side was perfectly fine.
I did check tires and pressure.
I did not rotate them. (I might try that today and see, at least is another thing I can do to troubleshoot it)

I don't think I have a bent rim. I don't use the cruiser that much and it has been sitting on my garage for a while. I never had this issue before. But again, it is possible, I just think is highly unlikely.

Thanks,

Remove the locking hub and make sure the nut is not loose on spindle and bearings don’t have play. Warped rotors will cause shaking while braking as well.
I guess for this I will need some assistance. I contacted @cruisermatt and ask him to check it out. I am not sure, honestly. I guess I will try rotating the tires and see.
Maybe doing an alignment and balancing them. I just don't want to drive it to the tire place like that. shakes a lot. Seems dangerous.
Thanks,

I would bring it to an alignment shop and hand it over to them to diagnose to be honest. Change the shocks to rule them out. Have them verify all wheels are balanced and in round. And let them use their lasers to make the alignment adjustments if need be. I have heard of people getting flat spots in the tires before but I don’t think that’s what’s causing your issue. What you need is someone with some expertise and some real tools for checking this out.

Thinking this through this is prolly your best bet based on your situation OP.

Thanks,
I did replace the missing/broken bushing on the one shock. The other side was perfectly fine.
I did not rotate them. (I might try that today and see, at least is another thing I can do to troubleshoot it)

I don't think I have a bent rim. I don't use the cruiser that much and it has been sitting on my garage for a while. I never had this issue before. But again, it is possible, I just think is highly unlikely.

Thanks,
The loose lug nuts could have caused the rims to warp. And you may not see it with the naked eye right off the bat.

Thanks,

Thanks,
rotate front to rear and go for a drive. this is cheap and easy way to confirm or rule out tires/wheels.

While you got the front end off the ground, grab the wheel at 9 and 3 o'clock and shake the hell out of it, do the same at 12 and 6. Even if that doesn't find anything, at least you took out your frustrations.

I’ll be able to get it in the shop late next week i think

damn, still fighting that bull$h!t eh? hope @cruisermatt can get to the crux of it for you. let us know what he unearths.
Yeah man! it has been 4 weeks of hell. AND I can't ride the cruiser till this crap gets figured out because of the safety concerns. I guess i could drive it 20 MPH everywhere lol.

SUCKS for sure.

Waiting on Matt to see when he has time.
I will keep you guys posted.

Thanks,

Jack up one front tire at a time on the front and check for movement like stated above(12/6 and 3/9 o’clock movement). Only takes 10 min and will be a major teller of what’s most likely going on to cause this.

Jack up one front tire at a time on the front and check for movement like stated above(12/6 and 3/9 o’clock movement). Only takes 10 min and will be a major teller of what’s most likely going on to cause this.
I did, twice. Nothing out of the ordinary, movement wise.
Thanks,

For what it's worth. I had the same problem a while back, steering wheel & truck shaking so bad around 35-45 mph I could barley hold on to the wheel. Checked/replaced everything I could think of (shocks, bearings, bushings, TRE's, U joints, etc) and still no luck. Finally took it to local tire shop to have tires balanced (KO2's w/ around 20k). As it turns out, 3 of the 4 tires had delaminated due to "sitting" for about a month in the summer (SOBX NC), at least that's what they told me. BFgoodrich wouldn't hold warranty so the only thing I could do was fork out $900 for a whole new set. Truck drove great, for awhile.... I'm about 10K into new set and shaking has returned. Again only around 35-45 mph. After inspecting everything underneath seems to be fine. Taking it to tire shop next week for a balance & alignment with fingers crossed.

Sep 85 FJ60 Daily Driver

Latest update!!

Got the cruiser working again!

The fuel issue was/is the gauge is telling me I have a 1/2 tank of gas but it was empty.
So, I was literally running out of gas. Put 21 Gal of fuel this weekend and it has been running perfectly.
Suggestions from @cruisermatt was that it might be the sending unit that is stuck and is not sending the proper info. I will tackle that this weekend.

BUT after that fuel issue, I took it out for a spin.... and the shaking is still there. Ran till 40/50 MPH, shaking started and got worse as I was slowing down. Went back home, TOOK the spacers OFF, and ran it, ran better but the shaking still there. Around 40 mph and as I was making a right turn started. Not as bad and violent as with the spacers, but still bad.

So, I am out of ideas fellas.

Something is causing the steering wheel to shake violently. Gets worse as I slow down. Everything under there looks fine, nothing obviously broken or damaged. Wheels are solid, not shaking and they spin ok (I tested that prior), tires have proper air pressure (I double checked that as well). I replaced the broken shock bushing. New lug nuts. etc.

What can cause the steering wheel to shake like that? Steering issues? balance and alignment issues???

I am not sure what to do next, to continue troubleshooting the issue. I will take some pictures this weekend and post them here to see if you guys can see something that I can't.

I can confirm that it is not the spacers that is causing the problem, something else is happening, just not sure what. I am frustrated to say the least. I wanted to take the cruiser for a camping trip this weekend and I can't. Seems like a huge safety issue, that I never, ever had before.

Thanks,

J.
I had a serious steering wheels shake-at 55mph pretty consistently. Had fresh tires, rebalanced, no improvements. A few days later (at a Cars and Coffee no less) a complete TRE failure and lost steering control. Thankfully I was only going 5 mph. Needless to say, has the TRE’S replaced and it’s never been back after over 1000 mi of driving.

I had a serious steering wheels shake-at 55mph pretty consistently. Had fresh tires, rebalanced, no improvements. A few days later (at a Cars and Coffee no less) a complete TRE failure and lost steering control. Thankfully I was only going 5 mph. Needless to say, has the TRE’S replaced and it’s never been back after over 1000 mi of driving.

20FA540E-BC49-459A-96F7-339D2825A1A0.jpeg

Thanks! Wow That is dangerous! glad you were going slow.

Yeah, mine looks in good condition. The boots look pretty good too. BUT I guess I have to double check those as well.
I got my lift kit from CCOT (I believe is called HFS) 2.5" a few years back. The shocks and parts are good quality. I replaced everything back then and since then the cruiser has not being "out" off-roading. Only street drive and very little to say the least. The steering stabilizer was also replaced then.
I noticed the shocks' bushings are dry-rotting. I am not sure if it is the heat (Fl) or just from years of sitting in a garage. But I think that the tires are the ones that might be bad.
Thanks for the info.

If your bushings are poly they do break down a lot faster than the OEM rubber ones and do need to be changed out more often.

Solved mine after a very long time and trying everything. I was at wits end. New TRE kit from Cruiser Outfitters worked wonders but still had shake DW at 35-40 mph. Things that checked out ok.... Ubolts tight, shocks tight and not blown, wheels balanced, no broken belt in tires, replaced shackle bushings, no broken leafsprings, steering box "tight" and shaft and ujoints all in good condition, shackle and bolts in good condition, checked bearings at 3 & 9 as well as 12 & 6 tire position, alignment good, etc.... etc.... etc..... What was the problem? Upon visual inspection of steering stabilizer all looked good. When I took it off, the bolts that go thru the rubber bushings were smaller than bushings and there was "slop". Not alot but I could not see it with the naked eye and could not tell by twisting it and trying to move it by hand when installed. Remedy: i installed tight metal bushings within rubber bushings of steering stabilizer.... used tight fitting bolts to go thru metal bushings and reinstalled. Wa La.... no more DW. Hope this helps.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom