Bolt on turbo kit (3 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Most of the sub components for the 1FZ turbo downpipe are ready. This is only the first batch. Due to scheduling they had to do in two batches. I couldn’t wait the typical 6-8 weeks 😢

830B5DD3-797C-4A16-AB60-D29198F35075.jpeg
4701BD29-1FB4-4131-A2AC-82DC3BF7C212.jpeg
1B860B49-6943-41A0-87DE-2F44041B5BE8.jpeg
7FB6359B-146C-4AE3-9C5C-02DFB9F650D2.jpeg
04E59A15-9E63-4F87-A37E-C9A557950D07.jpeg

So happy to hear someone say that. This process has kinda sucked but it will be worth it. 😉

Yeah... I could hack together some sort of turbo myself.... OR

Let someone who has way more fabrication skills, way more knowledge about Cruisers, way more connections... already makes some of the coolest aftermarket Cruiser stuff on the planet AND has way more OCD tendencies than anyone I know put together what looks to be one of the most well thought out and meticulous turbo systems I’ve ever seen put together, test it out on his own Cruiser AND know he’ll stand behind it after the sale AND offer it at the price of a slightly used supercharger, (no kit),... what’s not to love?

Any thoughts on ceramic coating the air filter housing to prevent heat soak? Disclaimer: I know nothing about thermodynamics or science in general.

TURBO KIT UPDATE:

Its time to update where things stand as of right now...

• Just spent half the day purchasing different sized shipping boxes and arranging the entire kit in a way that makes sense. What this means is that I've decided to ship the kit in three boxes vs one big box. In some cases the more local shipping isn't going to be so bad but it now means all of the further shipped units will be costing significantly more. Not to you folks that already pre-ordered. I'll be eating the difference in the shipping. I just want to have something that is more controllable.
• I have ALL of the first nine turbo orders kitted up and ready to ship EXCEPT for a few items:
- The downpipes will be ready end of next week.
- The J-pipes need to be reworked at the manifold because the gaskets don't fit over the flange. Two small welds.
- The small reducer from the downpipe to the front cat hasn't been started yet but I'm told those "should be quick". I don't want to ship until THIS piece is ready because it will suck to have you guys install everything else only to have to wait on THIS one piece that has no work around.
- Silicone couplers, which brings me to...
• Silicone couplers have turned into a cluster ****. I was given a preliminary quote for ALL of the needed couplers WITH the Wits' End logo. I said go 6 weeks ago. Today I learn that not only will I not be getting the branded couplers but the price is now FOUR TIMES what I was quoted!!!! But they can turn them around pretty quick. Assholes.

So now I have a decision to make, do I go with another Made in USA company in Texas but spend double what the original planned quote was going to be, or do I go South Korean made and spend nearly identical to what I was originally quoted? I've talked to two customers who say they don't care and never would have even noticed had I not said anything but thats just not how I do things. Either way I can get what I need from either choice with quick turn around. Thoughts?

Oh and one of my swag items has failed to materialize so I'm working on other options.

South Korea is NOT Chinese. Aren’t most cell phones & TV’s made in S Korea? I know some of our major US power grid components are made there.
All that has nothing to do with their rubber/silicone process, but I have to guess QC can’t be that bad.

South Korea is NOT Chinese. Aren’t most cell phones & TV’s made in S Korea? I know some of our major US power grid components are made there.
All that has nothing to do with their rubber/silicone process, but I have to guess QC can’t be that bad.

Its a silicone hose, it can't be that hard to get it right for this application. If it were Chinese I wouldn't even be considering it.

There has to be a limit to the cost overruns. I appreciate all the effort you have made to support local manufacturers, but given the circumstances, I’m fine with SOUTH Korean couplers.

Honestly I gave this one zero thought because as far as I was lead to believe, it was done. Frustrating.

ya, go with S. Korean. We don’t HAVE to have logos on every piece either. In fact, too much logo placement can be a bad thing.

Decent silicone hose is decent silicon hose. Go Korea!

Also... some of us “might” be willing to pay part of the shipping cost over run.... just sayin’

You have run into a number of unanticipated nightmares. We’ve all been there. Some of your supporters might be willing to kick in a bit, even if they pre-ordered. Just sayin’

Im not partial to where the silicone couplers are sourced. I wouldn't sweat this one small detail. You've knocked out the big items and from the looks of it im going to be one happy turbo’d 80 owner. Well done.

Do what you think you should do to get the quality of product you want to put out at the best price you can get. We all know that you want to put out the best product possible and we will be happy with wherever you source the parts from. I prefer made in the USA when possible, but that isn’t always the best choice. Besides, aren’t you going to warranty every piece down to the hose clamps for as long as we own our 80’s? ;)

ya, go with S. Korean. We don’t HAVE to have logos on every piece either. In fact, too much logo placement can be a bad thing.

Yeah if you see the mounted kit there isn’t anywhere you actually see the logo unless you look for it. Plus logo on the couplers is common so I didn’t sweat it. But that ship has sailed.

Not to mention it isn't like there are 100 turbo kits out there for the 80s and you need to distinguish your kit from the others. Is it a crap kit or is it a badass kit? If it is badass it is Wits End if it is crap it is someone else. lol.

I’ve started moving everything to the storage space so that I can isolate everything turbo related and starting boxing up for shipping. More to do and some pieces still to arrive but I am making a concerted effort to maybe...possibly...likely...sorta kinda start shipping by this coming weekend.

...maybe. I’m trying 😞

519128EB-7796-41CE-8EBF-2D0621EC4EDB.jpeg
E1CB5A20-CE4D-4E16-92F5-77BB1EBA5495.jpeg

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom