Bolt on turbo kit (8 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Just got off the phone with the pipe shop!!!

All of the downpipes are done. The J-Pipes still need a small mod. The short downpipe to cat piece is up next. Woohoo.

You had mentioned a “front cat delete” TEMPORARY pipe supplied with the kit to connect the down-pipe to second cat flange. Just to get it to a muffler shop to do the one-non-bolt-on part of the kit.
Is this what you are speaking of?

@jjdeneen918 no not that piece and it’s absolutely positively NOT a cat delete. It’s a very temporary “test pipe” to get you from point A to point B to weld the correct piece on. It should be made out of corn plastic or something biodegradable but instead it’ll be tig welded stainless so that the TEST PIPE can be admired for its single 2-4 mile use.

Does the kit gonna have a boost gauge? Or is it gonna be and extra? Is it wise to have one? What about a pyro gauge? Does that one measure exhaust temperature? Sorry I am a noob on this turbo thing?

Does the kit gonna have a boost gauge? Or is it gonna be and extra? Is it wise to have one? What about a pyro gauge? Does that one measure exhaust temperature? Sorry I am a noob on this turbo thing?
The kit doesn't come with any gauges, that's up to the end user because there are at least a dozen ways to skin that cat. If you have the patience to dig through the thread it has all been discussed in here (I know, long thread), but boost and AFR are the two gauges I decided on, and of course, I know best. Pyro is pretty useless on a gas engine, IMO.

Otherwise there is a thread created for that specific conversation as well. I included the link for you.

@jjdeneen918 no not that piece and it’s absolutely positively NOT a cat delete. It’s a very temporary “test pipe” to get you from point A to point B to weld the correct piece on. It should be made out of corn plastic or something biodegradable but instead it’ll be tig welded stainless so that the TEST PIPE can be admired for its single 2-4 mile use.

Do you have a price point in mind for the test pipe yet? Also, will the pipe have an O2 sensor mount?

Some will get it, others will not. Either way, I’m doing the happy dance!

B9408252-D048-476B-ABEB-8E9DB0BB7B0F.jpeg

Quick update:

• I LITERALLY right now found out the oil drain fitting port, for the bottom of the turbo, has the wrong mounting holes. The holes in the turbo are 3/8"-16 and the holes on the flanges are too narrow. Totally stupid on my part for assuming that the rest of my shipment were be the same as I used for the proto. I need to drill out each one and re-anodize. I can turn that around tomorrow morning and have the part back likely by Wed.
• Silicone couplers look to be arriving Friday.
• J-pipes and modified gaskets are ready to pickup. I will try tomorrow but it might be Wed.
• Last piece is just the reducer that is the last mile connection from Downpipe to OEM cat, still waiting on the completion date on that.

Does the turbo kit offset the need to regear? I ask as it's gonna cost me $2K to regear and that could be applied against the turbo if it mitigates the need. Running 35's.

It depends on if you are re-gearing to get better on road performance or better slow speed crawling performance. It will offset the need for one but not the other. But everything is a trade off, low gears does make you spin higher RPMs on the hwy.

Does the turbo kit offset the need to regear? I ask as it's gonna cost me $2K to regear and that could be applied against the turbo if it mitigates the need. Running 35's.

Thanks for those thoughts. I'm not locked from the factory and my rig came with two uninstalled ARB's. Because the diffs were going to have to be rebuilt anyway to get the ARB's in, I went ahead and told the shop to put in the 4:88's. If I can scrape together the cash and NLXTACY is still producing the kits, I can either keep the 4:88's or trade with a non-turbo owner for a stock set that has been ARB'ed I guess. Trade offs, trade offs.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom