HD automotive turbo kit (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

I tapped a threaded fitting into the thermostat housing and eliminated the rubber hose connection and removed all the stainless lines for the throttle body and ran the other coolant line to the cylinder head. Also think running hot coolant through the throttle body would increase intake air temps.
What sort of intake temps will you get without an intercooler and are you worried about detonation?
Keep up the good work, l'm very happy with my set up.
Matt
So you cut the pipe off the t stat housing and tapped the hole?

Pulled the pipe out and then tapped the hole to suit my new fitting, Pipe is a press fit.
Here you can see the fitting
1FZ turbo.jpeg

Last edited:
Got the engine in and working on some gauges now. Need to figure out where to plumb the coolant temp and boost gauge into. I have my AFR going in the dump pipe bung already attached from the HD kit.

IMG_9772.jpeg

IMG_9771.jpeg

Was thinking about tapping the outlet on driver side coolant pipe for water temp or putting a tee on the heater valve piping. had an old boost gauge on the intake but need to run the brake booster line somewhere also. I guess I could put a tee there.

IMG_9779.jpeg

IMG_9778.jpeg

image.jpg

Looking good.
One important thing I’d like to add. After roughly 6000 miles with my turbo installed the “rubber” portion of the oil return line completely melted…. I thought I had given it enough clearance from the J pipe but evidently not. Thankfully, the HD Auto Oil return line kit came with plenty of extra rubber hose so I was able to replace it with what I had. I also wrapped the new rubber section with two layers of heat shield for protection as it’s still pretty close to the J pipe….

I put the water temp sensor in the head outlet pipe.
There is a perfectly flat area on it like it was designed to be tapped for a sensor.
The temp sensor, in that location, will read a bit hotter than the OEM temp sensor, but within about 5* degrees.
I monitor both

I put the water temp sensor in the head outlet pipe.
There is a perfectly flat area on it like it was designed to be tapped for a sensor.
The temp sensor, in that location, will read a bit hotter than the OEM temp sensor, but within about 5* degrees.
I monitor both
Yah the picture I posted is what you’re talking about. The flat circle area is where i will tap it.

Lots of progress made, exhaust built, sensors installed and gauges wired up. Fighting the intake now. Have some stuff on order. Got the engine fired up and idles great my AFR seem high at idle around 15? Still need to swap out the old fuel and fill up with 91 octane. Extended the MAF sensor wiring and need to wrap that up. Lost of little things to button up. One big issue I had was the air cleaner hits the waste gate actuator and had to massage the air box.

IMG_9804.jpeg

IMG_9805.jpeg

IMG_9806.jpeg

IMG_9807.jpeg

IMG_9810.jpeg

Still need to figure out if my vacuum tee is going to work for reading proper boost and provide enough volume for the waste gate, brake booster and boost gauge to read. I installed. 1/8” cross fitting and threaded it all together. What you guys think? Not sure if the fitting needs to be bigger to provide enough volume or if that will be fine.

IMG_9812.jpeg

Also need to finish up the intake with a tee for the crank case breather to go to right now I just have a little carburetor filter on it venting to atmosphere.

Thanks for all the great pics and updates. I just ordered one of the "prototype" J-Pipes from HD Auto in Austrtalia. The price was right. Supposebly just need to tap the turbo flange. I have a ball bearing GT3582 turbo in the garage from a previous project. I'm going to get the Mamba .82 A/R turbine housing with the integrated wastegate for it. Should be a fun project. Keep the updates coming.

Last edited:
Installed new fuel pump and got the beast fired up. Also drained the old fuel and put 5 gal premium. Finished up the intake also.

IMG_9818.jpeg

IMG_9819.jpeg

IMG_9820.jpeg

IMG_9822.jpeg

Need to bring down the AFR before I can drive it. Reading around 14.7ish at idle and when revving in drive they climb to 15/16s not ideal at all.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom