Exhaust Route after Muffer (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

NeverGiveUpYota

Dare me.
Threads
Ok so I was hoping someone would chime in after the last few posts I made regarding the route I mocked up this weekend but alas all is still quiet.
I’ve never done this stuff before. You all know me, I fumble my way through and soak up whatever suggestions folks throw at me that are in my means.
From my J pipe I temporarily attached two couplings to bring up the pipe to 2.5. Stuffed on a stretch of about 36” to a cheap Thrush Welded muffler.
From here I figured out how to cut 45’s from a 180 mandrel and started the route from there.
So far I have it turnup on the passenger side of the shock and turn down a bit on an angle toward the frame then out beyond the rear tire inside the shackle. I’ve found a few options of simply ending it there or adding another 45 so it can follow along the outside of the frame. I have the stock bracket on the outside of the frame w/ maybe an older style rubber and thick L shaped rod that could be tack welded to the pipe.
Before I begin to tack weld any of it I’d really like others opinions.
Thank you!
Felicity

ACA8232A-5CCF-4095-960C-D835B6C2671B.jpeg

6B2AF936-77E3-4CC3-B78F-FF494338C712.jpeg

6A83FAE5-EC9E-4103-B59F-D3869F32B0D5.jpeg

E7936CDD-D72B-4301-BEDE-0A8DB313121A.jpeg

F, my vote is to have the exit so fumes don’t have a chance to recirculate back into the cabin while in motion. A lot of 60’s have one more 45 and straight out the back. The side exit looks good as well. Either way I would not leave it under the vehicle if you don’t have to.

That looks pretty similar to what I did F.
Utilize the stock brackets where you can, so instead of doing the last pic, turn the pipe down along the frame after the shackle and then have it turn at the last bracket (or go all the way out the end).
One thing to keep an eye on if you do that is that you give yourself enough room to work on the top shackle bolt without interference from the new routing.

F, my vote is to have the exit so fumes don’t have a chance to recirculate back into the cabin while in motion. A lot of 60’s have one more 45 and straight out the back. The side exit looks good as well. Either way I would not leave it under the vehicle if you don’t have to.
And I second this, I built myself a small dump tip for the time being while I do my paint work. This has proven to have some exhaust issues as now, I will occasionally get a cab full of exhaust when sitting at a light for too long. If nothing else, take that last pic and then clock the exit so that it blows the exhaust outside of the vehicles air path.

I just did something very similar as well, Fel.
img_4128-1-jpg.1702712

img_4130-1-jpg.1702713
Ah see the difference is I bought a muffler w/ an offset outlet. I could flip it over so it’s toward the driver frame instead and bring the pipe along like you did... idk. Apparently there are many options. Thanks Dave for adding pictures of your setup.

Mine was routed inside the frame rail and back the a 90 bend out to the drivers side.

D5184C70-E86C-4E95-8278-95CDB96ED04F.jpeg

Trouble now, is that a 33 won’t fit under without hitting the exhaust and if I put a LRT in I’ll have to re-route the exhaust.

Would have been nice to get it right the first time.

My suggestion: kick out past the tire, or take it along the outside frame rail and back to just behind the rear bumper.

76D23FC4-DB65-4379-9F30-84A38CC4F0AB.jpeg

I would definitely recommend making the pie-cuts to have it on the outside of the frame once you have crossed over the axle. This is the stock way of doing it and like @NookShneer said, if you dont you may run into issues down the road.

Is it bad for me to have it routed on the passenger side of the shock?

Ya I would move it to the driver side of the shock if you can. How @cbenowen has his, looks almost identical to how Man-A-Fre does their cat back exhaust (what I have on mine).
I also look at how Otramm did the FJ62 routing and again on the outside of the shock, as well if I recall this is how Toyota I believe did it.

Mine comes all the way out to the back. Cat delete, headers....

FJ60exhaust.jpeg

FJ60exhaust2.jpeg

Out the back was not an option for me. I tend to drag the tail end of my truck across rocks every time I go out. The hitch saves a lot of damage but I do hit the rear corners from time to time. High and tight and out the side, protected by the leaf spring was the only way for me.

I have mine routed on the inside (passenger side) of the shock simply because I mounted the muffler that way (not really thinking about it) and I have not experienced any issues. I don't have my tailpipe installed ATM or I would post a pic.
Whatever you do, route close to the inside of the frame rail until you just about hit the bracket/hanger location and then kick it out there. I am also of the mindset that I think it looks better popping out the side like that.

Be sure that any side-exit method misses the mud flap and can be lowered (after installation) to clear the shackle for doing shackle work. Those are my two considerations. I would not have it exit out the back, to avoid squashing the tailpipe when you drag the rear end.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom