Fj60 exhaust help (2 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Hey guys I just took this part out from under the hood anyone know what this is and how to go about fixing it. I believe it’s part of exhaust manifold; the previous owner had wrapped it in this kind of metal cloth type material which looks like carpet (see pic) The fj60 will start and drive but makes this horrible squeal whine noise. Here are pictures from under. I believe the exhaust melted some lines don’t know where they go to. Don’t have info from previous owner

IMG_1167.jpeg

IMG_1166.jpeg

IMG_1148.jpeg

IMG_1042.jpeg

IMG_1150.jpeg

That is the heat riser duct; provides warmer- ish air to bottom of air filter box.

1697931079821.jpeg

^^ shiny one on the left,
Photo from this thread:

That 'Cloth' is factory and it's asbestos, though the one on your truck is from a very early 2F

If you're in Kalifornia, you will need it for visual smog inspection or you will fail. Same for the heat riser tube that goes up to the Air Cleaner intake.

A generic heat riser tube wired to the exhaust manifold will pass for visual inspection, too, so that 'Insulator' isn't strictly necessary, but the tube is.

You can probably find a replacement in the Classifieds or place a Wanted ad. Most are very rusty, so good hunting.

Last edited:
Reactions: OSS
If Hose “A” is connected to the bottom of valve “B”, (High Altitude Compensation Valve) that hose end isn’t supposed to attach to anything. It just lies along the fender. It’s a breather hose for the valve (if it’s connected to it).
BF81203E-085B-4429-909A-F0AC53437585.jpeg

Leave what off?
If you’re talking about that hose and it’s connected to the bottom of the HAC valve, yes it can dangle downwards. There’s a plastic loop snapped into the fender to hold it. If that’s gone, use a zip tie.

I’m talking about the 90 degree pipe with asbestos Fiberglas cloth wrapping going into the hot air intake

Can be left off without drivability issues except for possible cold-weather starts being a little rough, until the engine warms.

But as I said, could pose smog-test issues if you're subject to them.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom