Build Diary 07/1969 40 (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

i took lots of pics of the front end mainly tie rods and just the location of various components, if you would like to see for a reference point let me know and i can post the pic for you.

the seat covers are from SOR. they are the coral color and they are nice! wasnt gunna get them even though i really like them but the girl of all people talked me into it lol. great decision
;)

alot of the nuts and bolts can and will be reused, gunna sand blast them and re-zinc then yellow chromate dip. anybody ever do this? caswell has a yellow chromate dip you could get for about 35 bucks and the re-zincing is pretty much can be done with household supplies.

so on the inside of the frame rails it is a pia to totally blast every square inch, manipulation of the blast gun is near impossible for that task.
to the extent im taking this i mite as well cut the rivets and pull the inner frame rail out, but im not doing that because i am not bolting it back together and have no way to hot rivet them back together. any suggestions for paint removal in those hard to reach areas? im using SPI epoxy primer for sealer and acrylic enamel for a cover.

I cleaned inside the frame rails as best I could on my 76. Then splattered POR15 in the rails using a siphon gun and wand:meh: Good to see you are still chipping away.

Jason Reed listed the outfit who re-plated all his stuff. 1966 FJ40 Frame-Off Build (3rd Generation Owner)

Last edited:
So here i am, i have the shakes of anticipation i feel the 40 pulling at me i hear it calling me, "Carl come to me, fix me" but i cant. there is nothing i can do that won't wake the kids and ruin all the progress and trust earned with the wif. Soooooo in the mean time i sit here on craigs list looking for another project vehicle. another cruiser yes, a good ol fashioned American muscle car perhaps or maybe same era blazer, bronco, scout maybe?

well Carl you have 1 big list of parts acquired, lets look for more!

NO you musn't!
priorities:cheers:
you must feed the family first and pay the bills and finish your fist goal.

:deadhorse:

Here’s something I didn’t think to do while my harness was removed. A good quiet project would be to scuff all the terminal connections on your harness, fuse block, flasher relay and light terminals.

I would also strongly suggest pulling your dash switches apart one by one and cleaning them inside. If you want to go over board on the switches you could wetsand and polish the knobs. I picked up a white Nissen extra fine tip paint pen and recolored all the knob symbols. Nissen got bought out by Markal but I imagine they are still manufacturing in Nissen’s US factory. The pen I got had a hard nylon tip, not felt.

Another quiet project would be to pull your wiper motor apart, clean the old dry grease out, lube the secondary drive cable, ect.

just ordered some yellow chromate from caswell, I can start refurbishing nuts bolts and other parts. steering box needs attention to. tw0 car garage packed not much room to do anything until I get the frame painted and out of the way.

was able to get a couple hours blasting last night got a lot done on the frame, front crossmember rear bumper area and inside the frame rails. had to stop cause blast pot kept clogging just didnt want to work with me. it was late anyway. took apart the 110 pound harbor frieght blaster and cleaned all the lines gunna get back at it in an hour when my son wakes up.

took some pics of my rear ambulance doors and tire carrier. they are nearly complete set, hinges latches glass all the good stuff. will post pics later. i also have the j panels and rear door header its pretty much complete ard top set minus the top, im keeping that. i want to get rid of the T/C, ambi doors, and j-panels in place of correct year panels and doors. gunna take it all down to btb industries here in las vegas see if they will work with me if not gunna post it in the classifieds and on craigslist.

pica i promised
DSCN0382.JPG
DSCN0383.JPG
DSCN0384.JPG
DSCN0382.JPG
DSCN0382.JPG
DSCN0383.JPG
DSCN0384.JPG
DSCN0385.JPG
DSCN0386.JPG

nothing done this week. but i did get got some yellow chromate solution and some waterborn wax and grease remover in the mail today so pretty excited about that. found i guy selling a pair of rear half doors with hinges and latch for 300 bucks gunna scoop those up on payday.

so besides being a welder in the Navy im also a Navy Recruiter out here in Vegas and i put my first NUC in the Navy today! kinda a big deal for us, NUC is short for Nuclear Propulsion. these guys are like the smartest of smart and about as common as a unicrorn. tomorrow we will finish the th frame and ready for paint.

@CoFarmer might be interested in your ambi doors. How do your ambi door bottoms look?

Those Door headers are often rotted on the ends that butt up to the hard sides. Does your header look good? You probably know you’ll need an earlier door header with pockets for the hatch hinges.

Good to hear you found some barn doors. I think I saw where racer65 has repopped the barn door seals.

Something to think about when you are looking for a hatch. The one piece Glass seal is available for later hatches. The older hatches(like my 71) use a different 2 piece seal that seems to be a unicorn. :meh: I just learned this and am trying to find a new seal for my hatch glass.

they are pretty good ill take a couple pics and post them in a bit. there is a little rust but not very bad at all mite be a bit of pitting but must just surface.

I have a header for the ambi doors and a header for the rear hatch along with a hatch with glass, hinges, seals and both rear door struts.
prolly wil need new seals as i dont think you can reuse them?

started blasting again today and then this happens
DSCN0416[1].JPG

so i went to lowes and got some steel fittings
DSCN0420[1].JPG

back up and running better than the fittings that came with it!
if anybody gets one of these harbor frieght blasters, ensure you get a steel T 3/8" and a reducer 3/8 to 1/2" works better and prolly last lomger than the aluminum one.
just one more hiccup in many to come. planned on being done today with the blasting of the frame but....s**t happens.
a mans gotta eat though
DSCN0419[1].JPG
DSCN0413[1].JPG

update,
received wheel well tops and sides, rear channel, rear sill, driver floor pan and both rear quarters. one of the quarters was damaged during shipment but all else looks good. started the claim process with UPS this morning but they cant do anything till monday. haven't had any time to work on the frame. this weekend would have been a great time to finish blasting the frame and all undercarriage components because its a three day weekend. but i have a old friend i havent seen in 20 yrs come down to visit/gamble/boozin/lose money lol great times:beer::beer::beer:

today i decided to disassemble the rear end in preparation of blasting and painting. got the axles pulled bits of metal here and there, not sure if it is normal for something that is 47 years old but im guessing it is. it was a pain getting the inspection cover off but finally it came.
im currently trying to get the 3rd member housing off but it wont budge, beat it with a 3 lb hammer but it still isnt moving, took off all the bolts around the outside not sure if im missing something. watched CLCC's 3 part you tube video which was very helpful and i know ill be watching it again for the rebuild but it didnt show them taking off the housing (prolly cause its a no brainer). my little helper being very obeservant, he knows how to use a ratchet and sockets, tried taking a ratchet to the lugnuts on moms truck lol.
DSCN0433[1].JPG
DSCN0436[1].JPG
DSCN0432[1].JPG

What a great experience this project will be for your son. My 5 year old daughter loves to come hang out in the garage and pretend she’s wrenching. The other day, she gave her mom a Gojo hand cleaner demostration and explained why it removes grease. I was proud.

If you don’t get the 3rd figured, here’s a thread you could ask in. Issue after 3rd member rebuild All the guys in that thread know their stuff and would see your question cause it’s a thread they were in.

:beer:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom