1969 intro thread (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Hello all, long time lurker, first time member here at mud.

Current project is a 1969 FJ40. I'm resealing the motor, doing a 60 series front disc conversion, upgrading the aging suspension, and I'm hoping to put electric power steering on this beauty. Any help or tips are always appreciated.

20240304_124147.jpg

20240304_124153.jpg

20240304_124213.jpg

20240304_124222.jpg

Wow. Sorry can't help you but take lots of pic's and notes with like part numbers and stuff so you can help others by posting your build.

Oh and welcome, lots of smart and helpful folks here. :)

Electric power steering guessing will require some mods. 9/72 the steering box change and is separate from the steering column. Believe these were made for the later style. Also have to have a steering box in good condition. Electric steering will not help a worn out box, just easier to turn the wheel.

Like your list of upgrades — are you doing the rear with discs? What suspension are you considering?
Ill be keeping the rear drums for now, but wanted to keep it Toyota disc while getting the braking solid and safe. I'm open to suggestions right now for suspension, I almost fell down the rabbit hole on the HFS vs OME debate. I also had a local Toyota buddy mention getting Alcan springs made, but as of now I am undecided.

Electric power steering guessing will require some mods. 9/72 the steering box change and is separate from the steering column. Believe these were made for the later style. Also have to have a steering box in good condition. Electric steering will not help a worn out box, just easier to turn the wheel.
I haven't torn into the steering gear box yet, but I do know that the early FJ box makes things more difficult or rather requires more fabrication. Thankfully this FJ has been a family vehicle that didn't get much use although I was told it took some abuse at the hunting/fishing cabin.

Today was productive, pulled the pushrods, lifters, rockers, fuel pump, and the cam out to reseal the front of the engine.

20240306_165832.jpg

20240306_171506.jpg

20240306_165828.jpg

I put electric power steering in my 73 Ford F250 4x4 and love it. I'd be interested in what you come up with for your FJ40 as I want to do the same for my 73 FJ40.

Thought electric power steering was fairly simple in the 9/72-7/80 US market FJ40s. Not sure if a kit was available that replaced the collapsible steering column 8/80 on that was used in a few markets including the US. 9/72 on the manual steering box didn't change only the column changed.

Thought electric power steering was fairly simple in the 9/72-7/80 US market FJ40s. Not sure if a kit was available that replaced the collapsible steering column 8/80 on that was used in a few markets including the US. 9/72 on the manual steering box didn't change only the column changed.

I'm hoping for something like my Ford has, there is no change to the stock steering column and only one section of the shaft beyond the firewall is replaced by the electric motor, you can literally swap that part back to stock in 20 minutes if you chose to. I like the simplicity of the design,

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom