ABS Alarm Sounding with VSC TRAC/VSC Off lights and Brake lights lit (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Hi Guys,

I was driving down a steep driveway tonight that was sheer ice... slid a good 50 feet at a 30+ degree slope. I had my foot pressed very hard on the brakes and first the red Brake light illuminated and then I dove about a mile and then the ABS, VSC TRAC & VSC OFF lights lit up with an audible constant alarm sounded for the remainder of my 5 mile ride home.

Any ideas what it is?

**I should make note - my brake lights are not lit, the Brake light on the dash is lit**

I plugged my basic OBD Reader (now that i think of it, i dont think it will read ABS codes) in just now and there are no codes.

I have since started the car two more times tonight and everything is still lit up and the alarm is sounding.

I don't want to get destroyed at a dealership but i need to figure it out as its my brake system and the alarm sounds and is quite loud.

Thanks

Last edited:
I would start with disconnecting the battery for a bit and see if that clears things up.
I did have a new Interstate battery put in on Tuesday... Though the slamming on the brakes going downhill on the ice tonight was likely the trigger I would think. I will disconnect the battery tomorrow. I am also going to head over to O'Reilly Auto Parts and borrow their ABS reader to see if there are codes.

Thanks

Disconnecting the battery for a bit should clear all the codes, warning lights, etc. Do that first and see if the issue comes back.

Jim

Check your brake fluid level and booster function first. It may or may not be part of your issues, but a good starting point.
ABS/BRAKE lights and loss of brake

Also check all vacuum lines. Scored 2006 LC w/58K OMG Clean! This thread will give a few tips. You'll see vacuum lines on VAN pump. I find these bad so often. Post #112 first picture & post #133 2nd, 3rd & 4th pictures.

It's possible with the cold and age some vacuum lines or wires have come loose. Check all the easy stuff as you disconnect clean and grease battery post. Don't reconnect for 20 minutes. Always start with removing negative battery post an end with negative being connected last.

Good luck!

I had the exact same issue a week or two ago, after my LC sat for 2-3 weeks while i waited for parts (and mainly time) to finish a project. I replaced the Tees and had to order the elbow hose going from the block to the Tee. After everything was buttoned up I saw brake fluid violently "whooshing" around the reservoir. A went on a short errand the lights came on (along with the alarm) and loss of braking power followed. Accumulator was vibrating too. Had some great help (thank you 2001LC) to baseline the booster system. I was told to pump the brake petal 20-30 times to depressurize the system and fill the reservoir to the max line and turn it on. I did the same procedure (de-presurize) the system and check fluid level. The light still came on and alarm a few times afterwards but by the third or forth time the issue went away. I can only think that the accumulator got some air in the system and wasn't allowing it to pressurize properly. Since then I have not had an issue at all.

Again, thank you 2001LC for the help.

**Update

I went out and started the rig up backed up and applied the brakes... there was ZERO Brakes... pulled forward in the driveway and I had to use the E-Brake. I popped the hood and the Brake fluid reservoir is Bone DRY.

Reminder of how I got here: I was driving down a steep driveway last night that was sheer ice... slid a good 50 feet at a 30+ degree slope. I had my foot pressed very hard on the brakes and first the red Brake light illuminated and then I dove about a mile and then the ABS, VSC TRAC & VSC OFF lights lit up with an audible constant alarm sounded for the remainder of my 5 mile ride home.

Anyone have any ideas on best case scenarios & worst case scenarios in light of this new development? I am not mechanically inclined for this type of job. Are there any things I should mention to the independent shop that I am going to have it towed to? I am trying to avoid the dealership.

Thanks - Matt

Brake Fluid 1.JPG
Brake Fluid 2.JPG

I'm assuming doing that long slide, the abs system was going nuts as you held your foot on the brake, as it should.

Now after ABS gets worked hard and you have no fluid in the reservoir. I would check all the junctions that have anything to do with the ABS circuit. Take the MC out and inspect if you feel comfortable, or else have a shop look at it.

Your brake fluid is leaking somewhere. Quite rapidly I'd say if you are bone dry.

I had the exact same issue a week or two ago, after my LC sat for 2-3 weeks while i waited for parts (and mainly time) to finish a project. I replaced the Tees and had to order the elbow hose going from the block to the Tee. After everything was buttoned up I saw brake fluid violently "whooshing" around the reservoir. A went on a short errand the lights came on (along with the alarm) and loss of braking power followed. Accumulator was vibrating too. Had some great help (thank you 2001LC) to baseline the booster system. I was told to pump the brake petal 20-30 times to depressurize the system and fill the reservoir to the max line and turn it on. I did the same procedure (de-presurize) the system and check fluid level. The light still came on and alarm a few times afterwards but by the third or forth time the issue went away. I can only think that the accumulator got some air in the system and wasn't allowing it to pressurize properly. Since then I have not had an issue at all.

Again, thank you 2001LC for the help.
You welcome. You should bleed your brakes, if you haven't. Very likely you have air in the lines.

**Update

I went out and started the rig up backed up and applied the brakes... there was ZERO Brakes... pulled forward in the driveway and I had to use the E-Brake. I popped the hood and the Brake fluid reservoir is Bone DRY.

Reminder of how I got here: I was driving down a steep driveway last night that was sheer ice... slid a good 50 feet at a 30+ degree slope. I had my foot pressed very hard on the brakes and first the red Brake light illuminated and then I dove about a mile and then the ABS, VSC TRAC & VSC OFF lights lit up with an audible constant alarm sounded for the remainder of my 5 mile ride home.

Anyone have any ideas on best case scenarios & worst case scenarios in light of this new development? I am not mechanically inclined for this type of job. Are there any things I should mention to the independent shop that I am going to have it towed to? I am trying to avoid the dealership.

Thanks - Matt

View attachment 1611285 View attachment 1611286
Should be easy to find leak. Clue is it happen after hard braking. I'm betting flexible brake line burst while ABS pounding away during ice slide. It's that or a seal blew out. Shop will see the leak.

Last edited:
**Resolution**

Great News - It was just the REAR BRAKE FEED LINE that blew because it was rusted out (2005 LC). All other lines looked to be in very good shape. The independent shop I went to found the following codes:
C1223 FAULT IN ABS SYSTEM
C1252 HYDRO BOOST PUMP MOTOR FAULT
C1256 ACCUMULATOR LOW PRESSURE FAULT

And all said & done it cost me $174.... which I know if i went to another shop or a dealer the chance of them saying I needed a lot more work would have been pretty high...

Thanks for all the feedback/opinions.

So your brake fluid completely leaked out? Crazy man... those icy roads an salt up there must be a real PIA. Something to check at least every few months.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom