VSC Trac & VSC Off Lights - Code 53 (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
My 100 is a 2001 LC. For the past few weeks I’ve been getting the occasional VSC Trac and VSC Off lights illuminated on the dash. Turning the vehicle off and restarting usually clears them. If driving while illuminated the engine appears to stumble a bit on acceleration. However, the check engine light is not illuminated and there are no OBD II codes.

Using the jumper method with the under hood diagnostic port I’m getting code 53. FSM says it means ECM communication circuit malfunction.

I’m not quite sure where to go from here. Where is the ECM located and could water intrusion be a possibility? It’s been very wet here recently.

Any thoughts on what to check and where to go from here? I’ve tried doing a bunch of searching but haven’t found any solid answers.

Call @2001LC and your experience!

No codes to or from work yesterday and it was dry out. Raining this morning so we’ll see if that makes a difference.

Definitely going to get techstream up and running sooner rather than later as it’s a necessary tool to have, IMO.

So my issues persist and I’ve been doing a lot of research. A couple of observations:

1. Seems to be most noticeable when cold. I’ve had the issue and lights illuminating within 1 mile leaving home for work the last two mornings. By afternoon it’s been warm and no issues going or home or running errands.

2. When the VSC Trac and VSC off lights are illuminated the stumble feels like a misfire or fuel delivery issue. Does VSC cut fuel when engaged?

3. Never an issue once warmed up and driving.

4. No CEL light and no DTC OBD II codes.

5. Code 53 is consistent. “ECM communications malfunction”

Is this early signs of a failing fuel pump or clogged fuel filter?

Thoughts on this being a TPS/APPS issue?

After a week of driving without the lights re-appearing I think it’s time to close the loop on this thread. First of all, as I found during my research, there are a multitude of issues that can trip the VSC Trac and VSC Off lights.

My diagnosis was a dirty aftermarket air filter. (I think a K&N reusable with the dark red filter material)

The long version for posterity sake. Last Sunday I dove a little deeper into the issue and decided to inspect the spark plugs and coil packs. I pulled the air box cover/ intake and found the air filter was very dirty. (I’m very ashamed of myself for neglecting it) The filter was an aftermarket K&N that came in the cruiser when I bought it.

Next I went ahead and began my inspections. I found all plugs still tight and coils ok. I did change one cracked boot on #6. I also reconnected a loose ground wire from the driver side fender to the lifting hook on the engine. It had been disconnected since I bought the LC and I thought I’d fixed it already.

I then cleaned the filter as best I could and reassembled. First thing Monday I ordered a new OEM filter from a local dealer for $25. The aftermarket was trashed and the OEM installed the first opportunity.

My conclusion is that the dirty and clogged air filter was starving the engine when it was cold after startup, thus causing the stumble I’d noted as rpm’s increased. Once the engine was warm the issue went away and wouldn’t reappear until the engine had sat for several hours and totally cooled.

Cleaning the filter on Sunday did the trick and allowed the engine to breathe better. Maybe it’s the placebo effect, but after installing a fresh OEM filter the engine seems to run a bit smoother and accelerate a bit better when getting on the interstate, merging with traffic, etc. After driving all week and putting close to 150 miles on the LC the lights have not re-appeared. Then only thing I don’t really units why the CEL was never triggered.

Moral of the story is that it’s just stupid to spend $65 for a K&N filter when you can get buy a new Toyota filter for $25 at the dealer. Just buy OEM parts…and pay attention to basic maintenance items in your rig.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom