Power Steering & Why You Should Do It Now! (My Conversion) (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I just did my mini truck power steering conversion a couple weeks ago and wanted to tell everyone who doesn't have p/s why they should do it now.

I've had my Land Cruiser for 5 years now, and if I had to start again, this would be my first mod. I started with brakes, clutch, electrical, etc. Basic stuff that everyone should do in the beginning. Those are important!

The first luxury and costly thing I did was a 4" suspension kit. The power steering has been the best mod by far to this point and it was relatively easy to do. If I had to do it again, I would've done this first.

I followed romers install
My Mini-truck Power Steering Install

A lot of good info there and very detailed. The pulley and belt was the only thing I've never found a definitive answer for. I just wanted to add some details for those thinking of doing this conversion.

First off, you need to find the parts. The gearbox (79-85 Pickup or 4-Runner) is usually the most expensive and hardest part to find. I got lucky and found a couple in my uncle's Toyota junk yard for free. The Saginaw pump can be found in any salvage yard or you can get a new one from any parts store. The used one will come with a pulley and fittings, but the new one won't. They were used on everything from the 60s to now.

Mud member orangefj45 sells the Bill Dorry style brackets to mount the pump and gearbox. These were my most costly parts, but well worth it. I would definitely recommend ordering these and making your swap much easier. You could fabricate your own, but for me, the time and effort outweighed the cost. For $189 I got brackets AND mounting hardware for the pump and gearbox. I used a GM pump from a mid 80s Chevy truck with the press on style pulley. NAPA made my high pressure hose by ordering an '84 Toyota hose and adding a GM fitting. I also found a belt that works with the narrow GM pulley and the wider Toyota crank pulley. It's a utility belt for lawnmowers, etc. It fits the wide and narrow pulleys and works on both. I added a p/s cooler, but some people don't. Optional I guess.

Parts you need and what I paid:
79-85 Pickup or 4-Runner gearbox- $0
GM Saginaw Pump - $20 from salvage yard
Mounting Brackets and Hardware - $189
High Pressure Hose - $26 NAPA
49" Utility Belt #4L490 - $11 AutoZone
Power Steering Cooler Kit - $20 Car Quest
Return Hose, Clamps, Fluid ~ $25 - $35

I would suggest finding a used pump just because it comes with the pulley and fittings and they're cheap. You can order a new one for around $60, but you'll have to find a pulley and return fittings.

If you can find a used gearbox with the pitman arm, you can save some time, money, and effort there as well. The pitman arm will work just fine on the FJ40. It's a little shorter and tucks in a little closer to the frame, but I've had no steering problems with it. I've seen some people swap them, but I don't see the point. It doesn't affect anything.

The hardest part of the conversion was removing the old manual gearbox mount. My best advice is to use a grinder or cutoff wheel to shave the rivets down flush. Then use a center punch to start a hole and drill with smaller to larger bits until you can use a punch to get them out. BFH and a pry bar. I had to clearance the firewall a little for the steering column as well. Just used the Dremel and a chisel. From start to finish, it took me about a full day, but I had to stop and entertain my 2 year old when she got tired of scrubbing parts. LOL

Salvage Yard Pump:
IMG_20170311_185133_zpsht4zpsup.jpg

'84 Gearbox with Pitman Arm:
IMG_20170311_185107_zpsr5quute3.jpg

Old Gearbox Removed:
4170_zpsk0la67ql.jpeg

P/S Finished:
IMG_20170318_190921_zpsjful3lm4.jpg

+1 on the power steering conversion. I used a FJ60 box for my '70 40. Couldn't be happier. When I drove with the old manual steering, I was aiming more than driving the 40 and after it is a pleasure to drive with no wander, no loose steering and it goes where I point it. I wish I had
done it first.

Steering 4.JPG

I just started my Sagin conversion yesterday after gathering all the parts. I would agree the hardest part was getting the old mount off. I drilled a small hole about half way down the rivet, then cut off the rivet head with a angle grinder. Then I used a cheap punch and a bfh to punch them out. If you cut off the rivet head first you may not know where to drill the hole.

1gCKi1O.jpg

When I first did this on mine there was a great supply of used mini steering gears ... it's been dwindling very quick ... still some good used ones out there but you need to look

I see more guys going for the 60 series because it eliminates a few of those future slop points

Sag is ok... but nothings says toyoda like toyota parts

:)

IMG_2127.JPG

I can't believe I drove for five years without it. It's night and day difference. I replaced the TREs as well. Everything is so smooth and tight.

Before you elect to do this job, definitely check out one of the electric power steering threads in this forum. Much less intrusive and works the same if not better. The gear boxes listed above, whether it's a mini-truck or FJ60 unit, will likely be all gone in 5-10 years. What are you going to do for an encore when you need a replacement?

Before you elect to do this job, definitely check out one of the electric power steering threads in this forum. Much less intrusive and works the same if not better. The gear boxes listed above, whether it's a mini-truck or FJ60 unit, will likely be all gone in 5-10 years. What are you going to do for an encore when you need a replacement?

Switch to electric. They should be affordable by then!

Then use 80 boxes. And then 100.

Switch to electric. They should be affordable by then!

Electric is based on the OE manual steering setup. To switch over, you have to undo all the mods, including putting the manual box back in. If you start with electric, you never have to touch any of that.
By the way, there is already a DIY route with electric that's cheaper than hydraulic.

When I first did this on mine there was a great supply of used mini steering gears ... it's been dwindling very quick ... still some good used ones out there but you need to look

I see more guys going for the 60 series because it eliminates a few of those future slop points

Sag is ok... but nothings says toyoda like toyota parts

:)

View attachment 1432572

The problem with Toyota for the pump is that if you use the stock bracket you end up with the alternator on the same circuit as the PS and no redundancy on the water pump. Also you either have to keep the smog pump or add an idler/tensioner. I am looking at converting my Toyota pump setup to sag for these reasons. Also I have had better luck with the sag pumps over the Toyota ones.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom