The Road to a 100 and 2001 build thread (5 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Another small but still cool addition to the gear list is the FSR Go Light. They gave me this light to try out on my Thanksgiving trip to Death Valley. At first I was skeptical of this thing. It was big, bulky, and took up a lot of space in the truck. It is also a pain in the rear to setup the tripod thing for this. It ended up being the most useful piece of kit on the trip. Super bright, has detachable lights with hooks and magnets on each small breakaway light. They can stick to the trail gate, hang in the tent, kids can play with them. All around a great piece of hardware. It is charged by built in solar panel or from a car charger. I ended up using it a lot for packing and working on the truck late at night while getting ready for the trip

2016LCbuild-82.jpg

2016LCbuild-83.jpg

2016LCbuild-98.jpg

one of the breakaway corner lights is magnetically stuck on the lift gate
2016LCbuild-99.jpg

The light was really really useful for the kids. We could light up the entire camp area and the kids were able to move around after dark. This save many many tears.
2016LCbuild-100.jpg

Another small but huge improvement to camp life was the skottle. I know it is all the rage and super trendy item to have but there is a reason why. Our camp dinners were already really good but this took it to a new level. Best part is that there is significantly less clean up after cooking and far less pots and pans used. We cooked every meal for 4 adults and 2 kids over 4 days with the skottle only.

2016LCbuild-96.jpg

It is a little bulky but it has taken the spot where our water used to be.
2016LCbuild-84.jpg

The holes on the TJM bumper for aux lights were too far apart for the lightbar I had. I had my father in law drill some new ones prior to the Death Valley trip.
2016LCbuild-87.jpg

2016LCbuild-88.jpg

2016LCbuild-90.jpg

2016LCbuild-91.jpg

2016LCbuild-95.jpg

2016LCbuild-97.jpg

This is the fleet heading out to Death Valley. We rented an AirTop for my inlaws and threw the awning on Expo Hers. I didn't have the rack in time for Death Valley.
2016LCbuild-89.jpg

EXPO HIS
2016LCbuild-92.jpg

EXPO HERS
2016LCbuild-93.jpg

Camp up in Echo Canyon
2016LCbuild-94.jpg

That's it for now. Lots of pictures and not a whole lot of detail on the upgrades. Next up will be the RTT and getting the awning on the new rack with the large overhang. I will probably have to make some custom awning brackets. The LabRak brackets put the awning too high.

So it's a slow day at work and I just read everything from beginning to end. Thank you so much for taking the time to post this, the details and work you've done are greatly appreciated. I just picked up a 97 cruiser and I'm trying to get it ready for a trip from Florida to Moab and flagstaff for expo West. I know I won't be able to get a suspension by then. I'm probably going to just get a rack and CVT RTT by then. How capable do you think a stock cruiser will do at Moab? The crew I'm going with will be a lot more capable than I am, I don't want to be the guy holding them up. Again, thanks for the build post.

@Jimjen328 if you can get the suspension before the trip I would shoot for that. Moab should be fine. I did it with spacers and 295/75R16 BFG AT KO tires and that was it. We did Fins n Things and a number of other easy to moderate trails. Nothing too crazy. I imagine you will be fine there with some good tires and good spotting. I haven't done any of the difficult trails there and I am no expert on Moab.

@paulbgardner - Really clean work Paul. I was unaware that Shane/LabRak is back up and running and making products. Plus, that TJM looks really clean. Any idea when they might bring that to market? It looks like it was designed for an LC without the metal piece under the chrome grill. Also, how did you have the LED bar attached on top of the front bumper?

Great update. Nice mods. Keep posting those awesome photos of yours!

@paulbgardner - Really clean work Paul. I was unaware that Shane/LabRak is back up and running and making products. Plus, that TJM looks really clean. Any idea when they might bring that to market? It looks like it was designed for an LC without the metal piece under the chrome grill. Also, how did you have the LED bar attached on top of the front bumper?

TJM is tweaking the design right now and should have a production bumper soon. They are going to swap out my prototype with a production. I'll see if I can get a date.

For the light bar I just drilled two holes in the top plate and bolted it on. I posted a photo of my father in law drilling away.

I didn't realize Shane had stopped selling stuff. I don't pay much attention to the forum. I know there was some kind of drama. Doesn't bother me. He makes incredible hardware and that's all that matters to me. I have infinite patience for well made hardware.

Thanks @paulbgardner - actually meant to type "stock front bumper" vs. front bumper.

@SmoothLC same deal. Just drilled holes and put big backing washers.

Rig looks good!
I wonder what the t17 coming back to market is going to do for the current copy that may come to market as well?

awesome build thread! With a baby on the way myself, I like how you showed your family growing and all enjoying the LC together. Makes the future seems bright! We should go wheeling sometime!

Rig looks good!
I wonder what the t17 coming back to market is going to do for the current copy that may come to market as well?
What is the copy? I'm out of the loop.

What is the copy? I'm out of the loop.
There is a thread on here somewhere where a member is possibly going to go into production with almost an exact copy of the t17 but in aluminum.
It's a good looking bumper but it is a copy. I atually had several mention to me when I started the dissent bumpers that I should make a copy of the t17 but I decided not to and glad I did,
Especially now that it's coming back to the US.

There is a thread on here somewhere where a member is possibly going to go into production with almost an exact copy of the t17 but in aluminum.
It's a good looking bumper but it is a copy. I atually had several mention to me when I started the dissent bumpers that I should make a copy of the t17 but I decided not to and glad I did,
Especially now that it's coming back to the US.

I still want yours for my wife's truck but it's likely I'll get to keep the prototype I have now even after they replace it with the production version.

I just stumbled upon your build thread, looks awesome -- very inspirational. What's your current mileage on your 100? Are you still running the original BFG KO's? Best of luck to you.

I just stumbled upon your build thread, looks awesome -- very inspirational. What's your current mileage on your 100? Are you still running the original BFG KO's? Best of luck to you.
Thanks! No I am on my second set of KO's I could have taken the first set longer but they had some pretty good chunks, and scars so I bought a new set before going on a 4,000 miles road trip to yellowstone, hundreds in the hills, and then home. I have a huge gash in the sidewall of my current set and I will probably replace the set soon. Not worth having compromised tires for safety. My 2001 is aroun 196,000 miles. my 2000 is around 140-150,000

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom