Rod Knock or Exhaust Leak or something else... (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Have you verified actual oil pressure? Try connecting a timing light to each plug wire and watch to see a rhythmic correlation between the pretty flashing strobe light and that nasty hammering sound.

It sounded more like exhaust leak yesterday morning. Now it doesn't.

It's oil related. I added oil Friday evening. Approx 2-2.5 qts. I took it for a spin a little bit ago around the block. Oil light came on. Pressure is where it always has been. It's been 5500 miles since my last change. Going to drain it and check for shrapnel and replace the filter and oil.

Do oil pumps have a history of failing on the 1FZ-FE? @Pin_Head reference the thrust washer. Sound doesn't change when I turn it full R or full L.

Didn't get anything done or looked at. Spent yesterday battling the flu and lost. Same today so far. Awesome.

I think it is the oil pump drive gear. Put your stethoscope on the oil pump to check it. You can also temporarily remove the PS pump and see if the gear is flopping back and forth.

Sounds good. I will do this tonight. How complicated is the oil pump drive gear to replace? I've replaced the oil pump cover seal so I'm guessing it's that process, plus some.

You need to replace the timing chain cover, which means dropping the oil pan and removing the head. It is a lot of work.

You need to replace the timing chain cover, which means dropping the oil pan and removing the head. It is a lot of work.

:bang::bang::bang::bang::bang:

So, I have a spare motor that I am going to rebuild to swap in. Was going to take my time rebuilding it. Do I need to rush? Do I need to park it? Or say FAWK it! And keep driving.

If it is indeed the oil pump drive gear, I would imagine it could go a long time making noise like that. The knocking is oftentimes caused by a tiny nick or ding on the power steering pump gear, so replacing the PS gear might make it go away.

I would consider getting a new timing chain cover for your new rebuild.

I think it is the oil pump drive gear. Put your stethoscope on the oil pump to check it. You can also temporarily remove the PS pump and see if the gear is flopping back and forth.
What has worn to the point that the oil pump drive gear could flop around inside the pump housing? I am curious as mine is at 271K and doing well but education is always good.

The thrust clearance is set by the timing chain cover. As the aluminum wears, the gap increases and the gear can flop back and forth. The wear limit and how you check it is described in the FSM.

If it is indeed the oil pump drive gear, I would imagine it could go a long time making noise like that. The knocking is oftentimes caused by a tiny nick or ding on the power steering pump gear, so replacing the PS gear might make it go away.

I would consider getting a new timing chain cover for your new rebuild.

Is this a failure issue or get damaged during removal? Curious.

The thrust clearance is set by the timing chain cover. As the aluminum wears, the gap increases and the gear can flop back and forth. The wear limit and how you check it is described in the FSM.

Posted before refreshing the page.

Thanks for clarifying this @Pin_Head

Mine has made that had that exact noise intermittently for about 4 years. Maybe once or twice every 6 months. Only when cranking up in the morning and goes away after 1 mile of driving. As bad as it sounds, I have never investigated because I have had plans of doing an LS swap when it blew, but it keeps on trucking along. I'm tired of waiting and engine is being pulled for swap in the next couple weeks. Lol.

Mine has made that had that exact noise intermittently for about 4 years. Maybe once or twice every 6 months. Only when cranking up in the morning and goes away after 1 mile of driving. As bad as it sounds, I have never investigated because I have had plans of doing an LS swap when it blew, but it keeps on trucking along. I'm tired of waiting and engine is being pulled for swap in the next couple weeks. Lol.

I won't be doing another LS swap... I'll swap in my rebuilt 1FZ-FE. Just trying to decide how crazy deep I get in to rebuilding it. It has 153k on it. I'm thinking I will replace all seals/gaskets. Have the head checked. Anything else? Do I NEED to do other stuff?

I was just reinforcing that it is probably not going to sling a rod soon and you could probably take your time with your spare 1fz.

I won't be doing another LS swap... I'll swap in my rebuilt 1FZ-FE. Just trying to decide how crazy deep I get in to rebuilding it. It has 153k on it. I'm thinking I will replace all seals/gaskets. Have the head checked. Anything else? Do I NEED to do other stuff?
Replace it with a 3fe because they're more better :flipoff2:

Seems to be the general area where my noise is coming from...had thought it could be power steering pump as well, i sourced a solid take out motor and transmission today so looks like i will be swapping in the not to distant future...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom