2wd fj40? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
when i was at autozone picking up a timing gear gasket, they asked me if the landcruiser was a 4wd or 2wd model?? i highly doubt it but is there a 2wd fj40?? i know that the thinking about making the FJC in a 2wd model... :confused:

I had a kid at the HArdware store ask me if my LC was 4wd or not. I was thinking to myself, arent they all 4wd.

I bet pimp knows.

74fj40 said:
when i was at autozone picking up a timing gear gasket, they asked me if the landcruiser was a 4wd or 2wd model?? i highly doubt it but is there a 2wd fj40?? i know that the thinking about making the FJC in a 2wd model... :confused:

Those guys just ask the questions that the computer screen shows them. The 2wd vs 4wd question is just another step to get to the parts they have available.

Most of them wouldn't know a Land Cruiser from a Ferrari. So the obvious to us is oblivious to them.

I saw something once upon a time for sale on Specter that was a plug for the t-case that was used for 2wd models. I've also seen somthing about 2WD -40s being used by Japanese police for on road use only.

But there has to be more info.

Biscuit has it. Toyota did make some 2wd LC's for a while but they never exported them to the US.

Counter monkies that have no idea what they are doing. the AZ computer is designed to make sure people don't screw up ;)

Cdaniel said:
Those guys just ask the questions that the computer screen shows them. The 2wd vs 4wd question is just another step to get to the parts they have available.

Most of them wouldn't know a Land Cruiser from a Ferrari. So the obvious to us is oblivious to them.

My experience exactly. When they ask me "what application", I start walking out of there. Had this happen when I asked for a dwell meter.

If there is a NAPA parts supplier in your area , you would be better off to buy frome them. In my experience, the people that work the counters at AZ or Pep guys or any of the other cheap chain suppliers for the most part can only help with what the terminal screen lists. Although ONCE IN A WHILE, a counter clerk will be knowledgeable enough to cross ref or take the time to look up other parts. Good luck......(my 2 cnts)

Last edited:
Back to the original question--yes, there was a 2wd Land Cruiser. It is an FJ42, straight front axle, and cover over the t-case output.

go in and ask them for the transfer case seals for a 2wd:D

74fj40 said:
i was only there picking up a timing gear puller

Thought it was a gasket?? ;)

redrock said:
Back to the original question--yes, there was a 2wd Land Cruiser. It is an FJ42, straight front axle, and cover over the t-case output.

Australia got 200? 2wd 45 series in the 1980s. They sold them for about $4k less than a 4wd .
I seem to remember there were 2 reasons.
First they wanted a cheaper version to compete with our Ford and GM utes and the 2nd reason is they wanted to get rid of the last of the 45 cab chassis models before the 70 series were released in late 84.
I inspected a 2wd 45 once and read a report in a newspaper motoring column.
I also saw 2 rusty examples for sale in the 90s.
I dont think any are left now,they were heavy on fuel and slow compared to their 2wd competition and many were converted to 4wd as components become available.
I think the aussie 2wd were all one colour ,either mustard or beige.

My 64 was 2wd when I bought it..

Until the P.O. brought the front driveshaft over :D

Best Buy is the same way, I went to get a stereo system and the guy couldnt believe that my Landcruiser never had a stereo or speakers..

Or A/C :eek:

I once saw a fj40 landcruiser for sale on ebay that said it was full time 4wd. I've never heard of that.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom