What did you do on your 70 series today? (32 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

I'm 96% positive I have the e-hub specific studs in my 'unassigned parts' aisle at the shop. Unfortunately if you called the guys in the front parts counter, they wouldn't have a way to know we have em 😧. I've hundreds of part numbers (lots of hardware) that are in that aisle :D

I'd be happy to check tomorrow if your like me too.

I'm 96% positive I have the e-hub specific studs in my 'unassigned parts' aisle at the shop. Unfortunately if you called the guys in the front parts counter wouldn't have a way to know we have em 😧.

I'd be happy to check tomorrow if your like me too.

Yes please

p/n "should" be 90116-08331
I have to call in tomorrow morning to place an order for a few items

Any chance you have a valve cover gasket for a 1HZ too?

Yes please

p/n "should" be 90116-08331
I have to call in tomorrow morning to place an order for a few items

Any chance you have a valve cover gasket for a 1HZ too?

100% on the valve cover gasket (VCC17010) and 98% on the studs.

Shoot over an email on the stuff you don't have our part number and the tech guys can quickly assist and get with me on the studs too. Info@cruiseroutfitters.com

While R&R the front axle bearings, seals one of the four e-hub retaining studs stripped....s***ty acorn nuts and someone previously over torquing them.....you know the drill

I know it's way late in the game. Also have a 77 and went thru the maintenance nightmare on the front end as well. Those stupid 77 hubs and spindles are very specific.

I ended up replacing everything from the knuckle out. You can use everything from a solid axle Toyota pickup, spindle, hub, bearings, locking hub. All of it can come from marlin crawler or low range offroad here in the US. The rotors and calipers are the same setup they used on the IFS front end for Toyota pickups in the US. So also everything can be sourced domestically.

To me this was the way to go because if something does go wrong now I can source stuff here in the US. Added bonus there is hard core support for Toyota solid axle pickup/4runners in the after market so if you want to get chromoly anything, you can. Mine is all chromoly.

https://lowrangeoffroad.com/toyota/...pindles-hubs/trail-gear-chromoly-spindle.html

https://lowrangeoffroad.com/toyota/4runner-pickup-hilux-1979-1995/solid-axle-hub.html

https://lowrangeoffroad.com/hub-manual-locking.html

I know it's way late in the game. Also have a 77 and went thru the maintenance nightmare on the front end as well. Those stupid 77 hubs and spindles are very specific.

I ended up replacing everything from the knuckle out. You can use everything from a solid axle Toyota pickup, spindle, hub, bearings, locking hub. All of it can come from marlin crawler or low range offroad here in the US. The rotors and calipers are the same setup they used on the IFS front end for Toyota pickups in the US. So also everything can be sourced domestically.

To me this was the way to go because if something does go wrong now I can source stuff here in the US. Added bonus there is hard core support for Toyota solid axle pickup/4runners in the after market so if you want to get chromoly anything, you can. Mine is all chromoly.

https://lowrangeoffroad.com/toyota/...pindles-hubs/trail-gear-chromoly-spindle.html

https://lowrangeoffroad.com/toyota/4runner-pickup-hilux-1979-1995/solid-axle-hub.html

https://lowrangeoffroad.com/hub-manual-locking.html

The e-hub to AISIN well documented here on Mud too. We put together dozens of conversion kits each year.

I appreciate the comments on the e-hubs

The e-hubs days are limited on my 77....have been since day one.....but they work and are currently serviceable (even if I dont trust them 100%)

The plan this summer is to address the pressing issues and get it into a reliable state by addressing all the things a 33 year old vehicle needs.

If I can keep the hubs operational for under $100 this year then thats a win so I can decide when to address them next year on my own schedule and budget.

Top priorities have been:

Replacement of flapping relay rod end @ pitman arm (done)

R&R of seals/bearings on front axle both sides to address streaming birf soup spray at the steering knuckes/ball (done)

Flush brake fluid (front done as part of above/rears will be done as rear axle R&R)

Replace unsafe rims (5 thread enguagement on lugs) and tires (done)

OCI, change transmission/xfer case fluids (done)

Relocate breather on F/R Axles and transmission (pending/have trail tailor kit in hand)

Coolant/radiator flush/replace lower hose/clamps and draincock (pending/parts on hand)

R&R of rear axle seals/bearings (have parts/pending next weekend)

Suspension (on order)

Check valves and adjust as needed (pending)

Front exhaust pipe (replace or repair)...rotted at seam and rear/bottom just before second pipe....temp coke can/hose clamps but wont pass inspection without fix

Find/Fabricate exhaust hangers for center portion and eliminate tarzan swing

Replace brake hoses and other rubber/plastic as needed

Drop diesel tank and replace all rubber supply/return and pickup in tank

Clean out/vaccum out frame.

Install 2-din stereo/speakers/on demand rear facing camera

Escape gear seat covers.

Validate reliability and hopefully take up north for a week early fall.

Oil undercoat the living s*** out of it before winter.....twice.

Next year money permitting:

Roof rack
Front bull bar
ARB air system
Rear locker.....maybe front too......replace bearings/ring/pinion as needed.
Winch......
Rear bumper

Re: E-Hubs. I’m not necessarily on the ‘default replace’ train. In fact while we sell the complete conversion kits and individual parts, we are pragmatic in customer discussions and when it’s right to replace. Particularly when their current e-hubs work. Some have been lead to believe the e-hubs will leave them stranded if they fail and while that could be true if you’re in an off-road scenario and one or both fail and you get stuck... they will not leave the vehicle stranded on the side of the road for example. So users need to be realistic with how/when they use their 7x and be prepared to field fix/triage the hub if they have to lock for that rare off-road scenario.

For example, I’ve left them on my personal HZJ77. They work well and if sees very infrequent off-road use. It’s got the factory front locker, if one hub fails, I would lock the diffs and drive out. I’ll likely never have that vehicle in a place where a hub failure would be catastrophic. I could winch, I could field triage or I could skip the obstacle or detour.

Re: E-Hubs. I’m not necessarily on the ‘default replace’ train. In fact while we sell the complete conversion kits and individual parts, we are pragmatic in customer discussions and when it’s right to replace. Particularly when their current e-hubs work. Some have been lead to believe the e-hubs will leave them stranded if they fail and while that could be true if you’re in an off-road scenario and one or both fail and you get stuck... they will not leave the vehicle stranded on the side of the road for example. So users need to be realistic with how/when they use their 7x and be prepared to field fix/triage the hub if they have to lock for that rare off-road scenario.

For example, I’ve left them on my personal HZJ77. They work well and if sees very infrequent off-road use. It’s got the factory front locker, if one hub fails, I would lock the diffs and drive out. I’ll likely never have that vehicle in a place where a hub failure would be catastrophic. I could winch, I could field triage or I could skip the obstacle or detour.

While doing the front axle R&R I would test the hub function before putting the wheel back on and confirm green light on dash and that rotating the hub resulted in the front drive shaft to the pumpkin rotating.....good to go

On the second/left hand side the light came on but the hub still free wheeled with no enguagement of front axle and drive shaft.

Had to open it back up and "adjust" the contacts of the lock ring to the spindle contacts and button it up/confirm it now worked

What has me spooked is the observation that just because the lite on dash goes green doesnt mean both hubs have actually enguaged.....there doesnt appear to be any feedback mechanism built in....its a send it and pray situation.

This is part of my motivation to eventually go to tried and true manual locking hubs

I'll keep all my original functional gear on a shelf all bagged up but reliability is priority 1 to me.

Finally got around to installing a new horn contact pin.

Mine had worn down enough that I had to shim the contact ring to get it to work. Ordered a new pin a while back, found it while cleaning my workbench off and decided to install it before it got misplaced again.

Used a write-up from the 60 forum for guidance.

IMG_20230604_190844276.jpg

~2500 miles in about 8 days for SoCal to Denver and back. Many sites were seen, wild camped the whole way, troopy did great. I will say the carbed 1FZ is a bit of a slouch at 10k+ but hey it did it. I am spending too much time googling LS swaps but maybe EFI and Turbo it? I’ve heard the 1FZ takes it decently well…

In prep I have most of the rear build and electrics in place. Worked well. Have a half finished 4x4labs rear installed too so many more projects to go.

Only one real issue, need to figure out what’s up with tank vent, excessive pressure for sure. There’s a hose dangling off it I haven’t looked into, anyone running a carbed 1FZ have a charcoal canister on theirs?

IMG_0354.jpeg

IMG_0439.jpeg

IMG_0551.jpeg

~2500 miles in about 8 days for SoCal to Denver and back. Many sites were seen, wild camped the whole way, troopy did great. I will say the carbed 1FZ is a bit of a slouch at 10k+ but hey it did it. I am spending too much time googling LS swaps but maybe EFI and Turbo it? I’ve heard the 1FZ takes it decently well…

In prep I have most of the rear build and electrics in place. Worked well. Have a half finished 4x4labs rear installed too so many more projects to go.

Only one real issue, need to figure out what’s up with tank vent, excessive pressure for sure. There’s a hose dangling off it I haven’t looked into, anyone running a carbed 1FZ have a charcoal canister on theirs?

View attachment 3341295

View attachment 3341296

View attachment 3341297

QQ

Those are the nomad rims right?

You using ET lug nuts on those or have you worked some other magic like longer lugs to get spec thread enguagement on lugs?

View attachment 3341295

View attachment 3341296

View attachment 3341297
I’m in the LS boat mindset as well but until I get there I got the Holley EFI system(comes in tomorrow). Hopefully up and running by this weekend if not the next.

I don’t think I’d turbo my 3F but the 1FZ would probably do well.

Plus who doesn’t like turbo noises :cheers:

QQ

Those are the nomad rims right?

You using ET lug nuts on those or have you worked some other magic like longer lugs to get spec thread enguagement on lugs?
Yup and just normal lugs (slightly smaller size since the pockets aren’t huge) the engagement is a bit less than I’d love but right at point of in spec. Enough to feel fine but I’d love some longer studs

I’m in the LS boat mindset as well but until I get there I got the Holley EFI system(comes in tomorrow). Hopefully up and running by this weekend if not the next.

Ooooh which Holley kit did you go with? They have some sniper setups that are blow through capable and it’d be fun to fab up a turbo system…

Excited to see how the Holley goes in! Still tempted by the ease LS, could go auto for the wife to be more comfortable driving it too…then just turbo that for the fun 😄

Can you link the holly EFI kit you're using? Definetly something I'm looking to add to my carb'd 1FZ.

Ooooh which Holley kit did you go with? They have some sniper setups that are blow through capable and it’d be fun to fab up a turbo system…

Excited to see how the Holley goes in! Still tempted by the ease LS, could go auto for the wife to be more comfortable driving it too…then just turbo that for the fun 😄
Would love to see how the LS+Auto setup works!

Yup and just normal lugs (slightly smaller size since the pockets aren’t huge) the engagement is a bit less than I’d love but right at point of in spec. Enough to feel fine but I’d love some longer studs

Reason I ask is because the 77 I bought came with a set of same wheels you have

PO/Importer had installed them with standard acorn/60 degree nuts that had external spline profile that required special tool to install/remove....not uncommon

The problem is that the lug nuts only have 5 threads of enguagement.....thats no go on an M12x1.5 lug.

Without seeing them a local tire shop mentioned I "Might" be able to use ET lug nuts to get the 3 extra threads of enguagement but I'm not entirely sold and would like to hear thoughts from others

I just got the one that everyone throws on the 2F. I think it’s the 2300, I’ll post pictures when it comes in.

My carb is old and I think outlook wise the Holley is the easiest solution. An LS would be awesome but that’s a can of worms I’m not ready to undertake.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom