Picking up an FJ62 (4 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Hi guys, longterm reader first time poster .. I just happened to pick up a 1989 FJ62 and am about to take it on a 650km trip home .. I know the engine runs and starts up on first crank .. I'll be checking tires, brakes, steering and fuel tank ... anything else you'd be doing if you were to do this? Parts to buy in advance (fuel line? brake line? filters? break master cylinder?)? I'd love to hear from you .. only have 2 days to get'r going before I have to hit the road, so the more parts I can have on hand the better ..

Help a newb out!
thanks!
Mat

spare belts, rad hoses, various sizes hose clamps, p.s, fluid, brake fluid and platinum CAA or what they call their big dog package.
another canuk, cool. welcome to this asylum for the toyotaly deranged :flipoff2: pics as soon as you get said beast

was it driven before being sold or did it sit. if it’s been driven make sure all fluids are topped up have a socket set and some screwdrivers on hand and just go enjoy the ride home. it’ll get you there. if it’s been sitting then yes belts and hoses should be ready to replace. caa is a good idea too! to be honest i’ve only ever used them to open my door when i locked my keys. i’ve been daily driving my 1989 fj62 (with mods and maintenance) for 12 years!! (don’t dig too deep into my threads though…it’s been broken all summer 🥹)

post some photos of the truck and your trip home!!

Congrats! Any clue what the truck has been up to the last year or so? Has it been driven or parked? I'd definitely check the radiator and overflow tank on top of all else mentioned.

Thanks for all the advise, much appreciated! So far I think I can get pretty much anything you guys mentioned at a Nappa or Lordco .. can anybody think of anything FJ related that I might need to order in advance?
The truck has been sitting in the guy's yard but I can't say for how long .. no trees growing through it or anything but not used on the road .. as mentioned, starts up fine, interior is dry, no critters that I could find so far .. they guy was giving the restoration a go .. rockers and doors are done, back end is damaged ..
The thing I keep coming back to is a break master cylinder .. do you guys find these need to be replaced typically? I figure that's a Toyota specific part .. for example .. anytihng else you can think of?

Take an extra quart of 30wt oil and a gallon of mixed 50/50 coolant. Check these levels before starting out. Make sure the oil pressure gauge and temp gauge are working. Also KEEP an eye on these gauges while driving. When you stop for fuel let it cool down and check the levels again. You're brave to drive that far on a vehicle that's been sitting. We've seen reports of engine failures on these long first trips. Reconsider trailering if you have the means.

We've seen reports of engine failures on these long first trips. Reconsider trailering if you have the means.
Glad someone said it. I had mine shipped from a slightly shorter distance when I purchased. I did them math on price to get there and drive it home myself, compared to price to get it and myself home if it broke down on the road, compared to cost to have it shipped.

Agree on shipping. It’s getting cold. Don’t wanna be stuck in the snow waiting for help or tow. If you are still hell bent on it, do as mentioned above for supplies. Buy things you will replace eventually for peace of mind. Not wasting money that way. Would not worry about brake master cylinder if brakes work and are not leaking and feels firm. Tires for sure if dry rotted or out of DOT spec. Fuel pump and alternator, spare fuel filters, I would add a clear fuel filter in the engine bay where possible and monitor debris as you drive.

Hi guys, longterm reader first time poster .. I just happened to pick up a 1989 FJ62 and am about to take it on a 650km trip home .. I know the engine runs and starts up on first crank .. I'll be checking tires, brakes, steering and fuel tank ... anything else you'd be doing if you were to do this? Parts to buy in advance (fuel line? brake line? filters? break master cylinder?)? I'd love to hear from you .. only have 2 days to get'r going before I have to hit the road, so the more parts I can have on hand the better ..

Help a newb out!
thanks!
Mat
Mat,

I, if this hasn't been recommended, would also check the ATF level.

From a cold start, depress the break and move the shifter through all of the gears down to L. Do this slowly and then back up the tree to P. With the engine running, remove the tranny dipstick and check it out. Alternatively, check the ATF, hot, when you stop for fuel (no need for shifting, etc., just check the level).

It wouldn't hurt to grab a big container of Dextron in case you need to top up.

Also, I would download the PDF of the Factory Service Manual. Keep it on your phone.

When I bought my 62, I flew to the neighboring state pick it and drove it home (roughly the same distance that you'll be driving). BUT, it hadn't been sitting. Made it home just fine. Then... the problems started... lol.

Be safe. Have fun. Good luck.

Does the 62 have a transmission cooler ,if not put it on.CHECK lines for leaks under truck. Check air filter for mice,wasps etc.How old are tires? Spare? Jack? Wrenches?

well .. shipping it is financially out of the question .. literally 3-4 times more than I paid for it ... I hear you guys on the winter conditions HOWEVER .. I'm cheating a little bit .. I'll be driving 160km between two decent towns that can assist w the required service (just go the BCAA platinum too :D - up to 320km free towing) and then it'll go on the ferry for 20h .. THEN I'm on the home strech of 500km down the island with lots of friends along the road .. life's an adventure right?? right??? anybody??? :D The worst winter conditions would be the Malahat .. slow and steady .. as long as she runs and brakes ;)

@Swissmat , you bet, life is an adventure. if you're not livin' life on the edge, you're just takin' up space! document n photo your trip so the rest of us plebeians can live vicariously
lotsa buddies is an awesum plan "b" 👍 not only will they point n laugh at your mishaps, they'll help you out:grinpimp:

Drive it.

Check that the oil galley plug in the head is not leaking, unlikely that it's actually been properly tapped and plugged. Take a spare Circuit Opening Relay or at least a piece of wire to jump the B+ and FP spots in the diagnostic port.

God speed. Share.

Well....

Did you make it?

oh, I should've given you guys a timeline .. that trip ain't happening until early December .. which is why I was asking about buying parts ahead of time .. I'll make sure to keep you posted with reports and pictures .. I fully expect a major goatshow .. for now I'm compiling a list of tools I'll bring, address where I can buy stuff, what stuff to buy etc .. definitely going through all your posts too to see what you recommend .. stay tuned .. this'll be good ;)

Screen Shot 2022-11-07 at 11.01.26 AM.jpg
Screen Shot 2022-11-07 at 11.01.06 AM.jpg
Screen Shot 2022-11-07 at 11.00.40 AM.jpg

That ol' gal has not had an easy life! Props to you for rescuing her.

Land Cruisers are pretty simple machines, but the EFI system in the 62 relies on wiring in decent condition to run properly (clean grounds, no mouse-chewed leads, etc.). If you get lucky there, you are likely to get yourself home.

BUT

It looks like you're based in Victoria, and the truck is a BC truck. I'm guessing that means you're going to be crossing a few mountain passes in this thing. In the wintertime. Through some pretty remote areas. Lordco isn't going to have parts in stock for anything that you might need to replace. So unless you have pretty deep knowledge of these vehicles, access to a factory service manual, a good set of tools, and clear weather...trailer it. I'm all for adventure, but there's your own safety and that of other motorists to think about...not to mention that of any first responder who has to help you out.

My advice is worth exactly what you paid for it. Whatever you end up doing, I wish you only good luck.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom