Sandy the Tan FJ60 (9 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

As Johnny said, truck has been up on ramps getting the next big item installed. Slow going with the pup and having limited time to work on the truck but it's coming along.

Got the trans pulled yesterday. I did notice that there was a new leak after the latest road trip. Looks like a good time for a rebuild!
IMG_0498.JPG

I couldn't fit both my regular jack and the transmission jack that @GLTHFJ60 lent me so I used some strap to support while I took the crossmember out. Worked great!
IMG_0501.JPG

Even with the truck on ramps, the trans needed another 1-2" of clearance. Got the ancient Hi lift jack out and put it to work.

The bypass hose will be removed once the t-case is rebuilt.
IMG_0502.JPG

Trans and t-case out! It's very muddy so I knocked off the majority of it with some degreaser and a pressure washer.
IMG_0504.JPG
67175113985__9CEE285B-FEDA-499C-9660-F4EA5D1BE604.JPG

Then today I got the trans and t-case torn apart and separated. First time taking a split case apart and it was a breeze. Some of the parts to be used. I went with @TRAIL TAILOR shift linkage kit for the t-case and @orangefj45 told me about the extended spline input gear as well so I picked one of those up.
IMG_0516.jpg

Inside was pretty gross. The transfer case will get a good cleaning inside and out during the rebuild. @GLTHFJ60 also pointed out that my t-case doesn't have a PTO gear. Did any of the early trucks have them or were they standard in the later trucks?
IMG_0543.JPG

IMG_0545.JPG

Ready to start cleaning and rebuilding the t-case.
IMG_0550.JPG

Looking good!

Most of these cases had PTO gears. I think everything from 05/85 and up ( including the vacuum shifted cases in the FJ62s ) had PRO gears.
Some of the early cases did not

Medium G helped me build one last night, we had a “father & son date” after work.

Georg @ Valley Hybrids @ Cruiser Brothers

8B154FD4-30DF-46ED-A799-6C3FC4C626CE.jpeg

Looking good!

Most of these cases had PTO gears. I think everything from 05/85 and up ( including the vacuum shifted cases in the FJ62s ) had PRO gears.
Some of the early cases did not

Medium G helped me build one last night, we had a “father & son date” after work.

Georg @ Valley Hybrids @ Cruiser Brothers

Thanks for the info. My truck is a 1984 and a 10/83 build date so mine may have preceded the PTO gears. I just say it's a race modification to reduce unsprung weight to improve acceleration!

Bit of an update. Waiting on parts currently.

Inside of the case is now clean, flywheel resurfaced, and the two halves of the case are mated. I went to go measure the bearing preload on the output shaft and it's way under spec. Measured at 1.5 in-lbs so I'm waiting on shims to come in so I can get that into the FSM spec of 13.0-21.4 in-lbs. The rear bearing race had a #5 shim in there so I ordered up a few to get it dialed in. Ordered a #7, #9, #11 and a #0 so that I have some on hand for later or other local guys needing them.

I also ordered up some stronger detent springs thanks to a suggestion by @EasternYeti to ensure the shifter won't be popping out of gear.

Rear output shaft bearing preload table for reference.
Screen Shot 2022-04-21 at 2.06.30 PM.png

Once I got the clutch removed, I confirmed my leaking OPG. I had planned on replacing the RMS and OPG while I am in there so no problem getting it fixed.
IMG_0582.JPG

That new new!
IMG_0588.JPG

Obviously I have to show the little oiler cup for the new 5th gear!
IMG_0585.JPG

Current state as I wait for parts before finishing up.
IMG_0608.JPG

Last edited:
Extended spline input gear also added.

And yes, I also noticed that the little oil shield for the breather was missing after I put on the input gear so it had to come back apart after this picture to reinstall it. D'oh!

IMG_0589.JPG

Tackling some smaller items while I'm waiting for parts.

Old taillight gaskets were leaking into the housings. The right rear lens was also cracked and missing a big chunk which had been temporarily mended with some gorilla tape.

New right rear OEM lens and new City Racer gaskets with new foams on both sides.
IMG_0621.jpg
IMG_0619.jpg
IMG_0622.jpg
IMG_0623.jpg

Added a nice driveability item today. Windshield washer!

The factory one was completely missing when I bought the truck and all that was left was a couple of pieces of crusty dry rotted tube. New Toyota reservoir, new motor, all new lines and connectors. Works great!

View attachment 2904494

Where did you find the motor?

I got it on RockAuto. Factory ones are NLA.

Thank you! The truck is getting a lot of love and lots more on the way.
Finally getting around to this on my truck. Did you get the AC Delco washer pump? And spliced its wires to the factory pump's connector so you could use the factory connector on the harness?

Finally getting around to this on my truck. Did you get the AC Delco washer pump? And spliced its wires to the factory pump's connector so you could use the factory connector on the harness?

I bought this one. I think I had to extend the wire harness with the factory connector though so it would reach.

Got the shims in from the dealer yesterday. The rear bearing retainer had a #5 shim in it and I went to a #7 which bumped the breakaway torque to 23in-lbs on the nose. Right at the upper end of the spec so I went with it.

Here are the stronger shift detent springs that I used compared to the original ones. New on the RIGHT. PN: 90501-16115

The shifter feel and engagement with these stronger springs feels great and I shouldn't have to worry about popping out of gear.
IMG_0643.JPG

Pan was pullled to do the OPG and so I cleaned it up and gave it a coat of paint. Before and after.

Also had to add a Fumoto drain plug. PN: F104S
IMG_0642.JPG
IMG_0650.JPG

I opted for the @TRAIL TAILOR linkage for the new H55 so that it would work in my pre-1985 truck. Here's a couple pics showing the difference in shift linkages. It's a really nice bit of kit that bolted up no problem! Will fine tune the shifter position once it's in the truck.
IMG_0644.JPG
IMG_0645.JPG

All that's left to do is install new OPG and RMS, and clearance the bellhousing for the H55. Then transmission will go in and I'll measure for driveshafts.

Last edited:
Nice work! Is it impossible to do OPG without dropping the trans?

No, you can do it without dropping the transmission.

The RMS obviously needs the transmission removed and the RMS is much easier to replace with the oil pan removed.

H55 is installed! Shoutout to @GLTHFJ60 for providing an extra set of hands for the install and letting me borrow some key tools for the job like a trans jack and pilot bearing puller.

Next step is to order driveshafts and then button up the install with all the wiring, starter. etc.

By my driveshaft measurements, the front and rear shafts need to be modified 3.5” each to accommodate the H55.

FB26A02D-4D2D-40E8-B9CA-5A54BB7B6A9A.jpeg

Some miscellaneous additions to the H55..

90* breather fitting
IMG_0655.JPG

Used a paint pen to highlight the timing mark on the flywheel
IMG_0661.JPG

I went to go install the transfer case shifter plate and it didn't fit. The top hole that goes on the top transmission plate is ~1-1.5" too short. It looks like the cast mount that the shifter pivot bolt goes into sticks out a lot more on the H55 compared to the H42 and therefore this plate for the H42 doesn't fit. Are there other options? Is it even necessary? I could see it supporting the other side of the shifter pivot but also stop the shifter from shifting into 2WD Low but that tab is cut off by a lot of folks anyways. Ideas?
fullsizeoutput_20dd.jpeg

Some miscellaneous additions to the H55..

90* breather fitting
View attachment 2992119

Used a paint pen to highlight the timing mark on the flywheel
View attachment 2992120

I went to go install the transfer case shifter plate and it didn't fit. The top hole that goes on the top transmission plate is ~1-1.5" too short. It looks like the cast mount that the shifter pivot bolt goes into sticks out a lot more on the H55 compared to the H42 and therefore this plate for the H42 doesn't fit. Are there other options? Is it even necessary? I could see it supporting the other side of the shifter pivot but also stop the shifter from shifting into 2WD Low but that tab is cut off by a lot of folks anyways. Ideas?
View attachment 2992124

Where did you source the 90* breather? I just tried to order one but it was unavailable as an non import item, was going to look on partsouq.

Followed your thread awhile back, great job breathing new life into this truck!

Where did you source the 90* breather? I just tried to order one but it was unavailable as an non import item, was going to look on partsouq.

I bought it from @cruiseroutfit

Thank you! It’s been a fun project

Iirc it's not entirely necessary, but I'd assume you could get it used from a late truck, or fab something up.

I bought it from @cruiseroutfit

Thank you! It’s been a fun project

Part# DIFF36149 @ Cruiser Outfitters :D

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom