How to Guide: Roof Rust Repair by Removing Roof Skin FJ60/62 (2 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

How did you remove it? I drilled out a few spot welds this evening but it appears that that the gutter over the doors has a lip that connects with the backside of the roof?

Look at the pictures I posted in this thread. You need to remove the roof skin or section out a piece of it as the gutter attaches to the inner structure underneath the roof skin.

Look at the pictures I posted in this thread. You need to remove the roof skin or section out a piece of it as the gutter attaches to the inner structure underneath the roof skin.
I will scroll back thanks!

Awesome work, Chris! Thank you for doing the write up and sharing!

@open country Yeah I did.

General tips are reinforce the tip of the sealant you use as mine kept bending over slowing down the application and reducing the working time.

If I were to do it again I’d go with the trim less gasket.

Make sure the windshield is FULLY seated down on the bottom edge before you put the top corners in. I broke a windshield trying to work it on without the bottom being fully seated. Lesson learned.

It’s pretty straightforward overall. Just take your time.

@open country Yeah I did.

General tips are reinforce the tip of the sealant you use as mine kept bending over slowing down the application and reducing the working time.

If I were to do it again I’d go with the trim less gasket.

Make sure the windshield is FULLY seated down on the bottom edge before you put the top corners in. I broke a windshield trying to work it on without the bottom being fully seated. Lesson learned.

It’s pretty straightforward overall. Just take your time.

Hi @Hokie LX , is the gasket you used the one that could accept the trim back in? I don't see the chrome trim back in the channel. If so, do you happen to have the part number for that windshield gasket? Thanks in advance!

Hi @Hokie LX , is the gasket you used the one that could accept the trim back in? I don't see the chrome trim back in the channel. If so, do you happen to have the part number for that windshield gasket? Thanks in advance!

No, it does not accept the trim back in. I’ll be slowly de-trimming the truck as I get around to it.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom