What are the lightest sliders with a step? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Hey there. The DV8 bumper just arrived and the thing is much heavier than it looks, so I'd like to see if I can save a few pounds on the sliders. I need some sliders with a step bar, preferably with a kickout. I also prefer the approach angle be sloped instead of perpendicular to the obstacle. It's really difficult to find weights for these things! Does anybody know what would be lightest? Also, it must be KDSS compatible. The aluminum Victory 4x4 ones are out since they require removing the factory KDSS armor.

When considering weight, a lighter product will be using thinner wall tubing and brackets. If you should come down hard on a rock or as in my case get T-boned in an intersection, you may not be able to open your door and/or incur more body damage. I have good quality (Metaltech) sliders and when I was T-boned a few months ago, the damage could have been far worse, and possibly totaled my vehicle, but the sliders really helped! Only needed to replace my passenger rear door and some molding on the front door and get new sliders.
IMO, I'd go with good and trusted sliders and then to save some weight, go with aluminum undercarriage protection! And if you plan on a winch, be sure to use synthetic line instead of wire cable.

Yeah, unfortunately light and rugged are often contradictory requirements.

This is my GF’s daily driver. I have a TJ on 35’s and long arms for rock crawling, so this’ll be more for overlanding, although we *might* take it on Hells Recenge or Fins and Things once we have some bigger tires. Ultimate ruggedness is a bit less critical than a smaller hit on kinetic performance

Ironman or ARB would be lighter. They are designed to Crumple from side impact and I believe they are SRS airbag compatible.

I was looking at the Alpha's for price and availability, but can't find the weight listed anywhere. When do they arrive for you? Will you reply how much they weigh when they do?

I couldn't find Ironman or ARB

I was looking at the Alpha's for price and availability, but can't find the weight listed anywhere. When do they arrive for you? Will you reply how much they weigh when they do?

I should be getting them on Tuesday next week per FedEx. I will post the weight here when I get them, but I will probably do an install review on my build thread: The Oz Man Build - 2012 GX460 Base - https://forum.ih8mud.com/threads/the-oz-man-build-2012-gx460-base.1258759/

I've been eyeing the Alpha's for the same reasons as well. I'm less concerned with weigh (though it pains my sports car brain) but I have been trying to figure out if they look awkward on a GX due to being too short. That wouldn't really affect function but I think a lot of the 4Runner+GX sliders leave too much space between the edge of the slider and the edge of the fender on the GX.

I got side swiped on my way to a TLCA event earlier this month. The Alpha sliders saved the day and probably prevented major damage to my door and rocker panels.

The other car lost

How do they look, and how much did they weigh? Will you post some pics for us?

I think you could've prevented that accident by not cruising in that guy's blind spot for so long. You were in his blind spot for about 20 seconds. It's still the other guys fault, but defensive driving would've prevented it.

I think you could've prevented that accident by not cruising in that guy's blind spot for so long. You were in his blind spot for about 20 seconds. It's still the other guys fault, but defensive driving would've prevented it.
Nicely done. Ask a guy some questions and then immediately criticize his driving 🤣

I think the best sliders for the price, fitment, ease of installation, and quality are the OEM Toyota 4runner rock rails. They are made in USA and can be had for less than 500 dollars total. They look great on the GX as well.

Only issue is the lack of the step.

I think the best sliders for the price, fitment, ease of installation, and quality are the OEM Toyota 4runner rock rails. They are made in USA and can be had for less than 500 dollars total. They look great on the GX as well.

Only issue is the lack of the step.
That sounds like a good deal! I did some searches but can't find them on a GX460- do you know where I can find a pic? Do they have big gaps in the front and rear? GX KDSS compatible? Weight?

That sounds like a good deal! I did some searches but can't find them on a GX460- do you know where I can find a pic? Do they have big gaps in the front and rear? GX KDSS compatible? Weight?
DC458E90-7FED-43DF-94AD-2AEFA8B307C0.jpeg

My GX is not as spry as the Jeep ahead of me was. I would have been riding that Jeeps tail if it wasn't for the extra weight (sliders, steel bumper, winch, roof rack, tire carrier, skid plates). Looking forward to installing my drawers this weekend.

ALPHAequipt Toyota 5th Gen 4R sliders can be modified to fit the Lexus GX460. A support arm is removed from the passenger side slider.

Dirty Alpha Sliders.JPG

My GX is not as spry as the Jeep ahead of me was. I would have been riding that Jeeps tail if it wasn't for the extra weight (sliders, steel bumper, winch, roof rack, tire carrier, skid plates). Looking forward to installing my drawers this weekend.

ALPHAequipt Toyota 5th Gen 4R sliders can be modified to fit the Lexus GX460. A support arm is removed from the passenger side slider.

View attachment 2744836
Hmmm...I like 'em except for that big gap between the slider and the front tire.

Hmmm...I like 'em except for that big gap between the slider and the front tire.
Someone on GXOR posted close up pictures when I made a post about these. it looks like they come up to right behind the body mount because they sit close to its height. that is why they are not closer to the front wheel. I can confirm once I get mine installed next week

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom