Rock sliders SDHQ vs Westcott (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
So I am ready to put rock sliders on my 2014 gx 460. Originally was looking at cbi or victory because the length matched the running boards and looked more clean however then I saw a video called victory wheel of fortune where the guy had to cut back the rock slider in the front because the tire would rub at full tilt. So then I decided shorter is better. Westcott caught my eye. Good videos and clean welds. I live in phx and SDHQ is around the corner from my mom and have a built 460 out front so I checked them out. Very similar to westcott but they bolt to the face and bottom of the frame and that seems like it would be stronger. So now I am leaning towards SDHQ. Does the mounting to just the face of the frame rail vs face and button of the frame rail mater. Westcott is dom tubing . SDHQ is Crome Molly. Any insight would be appreciated

Pretty sure this is the video you're talking about but it is about the CBI.

There are a ton of good tube sliders out there besides those two. I ordered the Victory during the black friday sale because they seem to cover closer to the wheel well than some others. For example budbuilt seem to stop 6 inches from the wheel well.

If you like the look of the Victory then Slee is another good option. They really look good.

I thought Victory got the length issue sorted already? I have the Slee sliders. I'm in Gilbert if you want to check them out in person. They have ridiculously strong mounts, even more beefy than the SDHQ ones, IMHO. plus the step feature is nice. You'd have to pay shipping. SDHQ stuff is nice, but I'm not convinced it's always worth the high price. I have their battery terminals, and would not buy again for the price. Just checked out their sliders (which I don't recall them being an option 3 years ago?) and they seem a bit on the pricey side for tubes. The Slee steps come in handy with no significant clearance penalty for the type of wheeling most GX'ers are doing. I have some pictures with dimensions around the wheel wells in the Slee thread, but they are "about right" for length.

An alternative to the Slee sliders are those from Expedition One. They are full length and look similar to the Slee version, including being able to retain lights. Since it's full length it will restrict the size of Tire you can mount, the website states 'up to 33'. I'll be installing mine over the weekend so stay tuned for a full review!

An alternative to the Slee sliders are those from Expedition One. They are full length and look similar to the Slee version, including being able to retain lights. Since it's full length it will restrict the size of Tire you can mount, the website states 'up to 33'. I'll be installing mine over the weekend so stay tuned for a full review!
Well hurry up already!! :D Ordered mine Nov 24th ORDER 74020 no change in status yet. So I'm going to have to live vicariously through yours until mine come in LOL. Good luck on the install, and hope all goes well for you this weekend! Staying tuned...

Sorry you are correct that was the video that I saw that was making me reconsider the longer sliders. I had not seen the slee. Do you think they are strong enough to use a Jack on if you needed to?

Sorry you are correct that was the video that I saw that was making me reconsider the longer sliders. I had not seen the slee. Do you think they are strong enough to use a Jack on if you needed to?
I am pretty sure all of these can handle a jack.

Well hurry up already!! :D Ordered mine Nov 24th ORDER 74020 no change in status yet. So I'm going to have to live vicariously through yours until mine come in LOL. Good luck on the install, and hope all goes well for you this weekend! Staying tuned...
Got them on yesterday. Check out it out here.

I'm pretty sure that any of the sliders listed can handle a jack, although should qualify that with what type of jack. Personal preference but I would prefer contact both under and alongside the frame.

Max length of the sliders has more to do with what size tires you are running, or plan to run in the future. The video is not with stock tires.

I wanted to keep as much of an OEM and clean look as possible and was considering SLEE at first

sok1320-8.jpg

sok1320-6.jpg

Until I did my due diligence and kept digging then found Expedition One sliders. Actually they call them rocker guards, to me they are a lot cleaner looking

Unknown-1-2-1024x494.jpeg

20220801_075732-jpg.3074864

20220801_075738-jpg.3074866

Limited to max tire size of 33" and I am only running 32". No plans to currently ever go above 33" on my DD. Too many other things would require changing as well.

Could have the aluminum tread plate powder coated for an additional $50 IIRC. But seeing how from the side view the molding trim, door handles and even roof rails are chrome will see how it looks when they finally come in and get mounted. If I don't like it can always remove the aluminum plates and take them into town and visit the Line-X shop and have the tops coated. Would likely be better than powder coat as well for longevity.

Any "real" rock slider will and must be able to be used with a jack.
The whole purpose of rock sliders are to support the weight of the vehicle "sliding" onto/off of and even bouncing on obstacles.
Yeah, there are those chrome side steps type bars you see all the time on full sized trucks, but do not be confused, there is a huge difference between rock sliders and side steps. Side steps type bars offer no protection and only good for stepping on.
Nor will side steps offer any side impact protection, whereas real rock sliders do and will protect you in case of a side impact.

Last edited:
Any "real" rock slider will and must be able to used with a jack.
The whole purpose of rock sliders are to support the weight of the vehicle "sliding" onto/off of and even bouncing on obstacles.
Yeah, there are those chrome side steps type bars you see all the time on full sized trucks, but do not be confused, there is a huge difference between rock sliders and side steps. Side steps type bars offer no protection and only good for stepping on.
Nor will side steps offer any side impact protection, whereas real rock sliders do and will protect you in case of a side impact.
Most of last century we didn't have no stinking rock sliders, they didn't exist from the 70's-90's :oops: Although guess in the SW in the 90's a few were running them.

Side steps are usually body mounted, as you said stay away, far away! Some are now frame mounted with a couple of bolts and only on the face of the frame. Still pretty much worthless IMO.

When rock sliders first came out in addition to protecting the rocker panels one of the main uses was for pivoting off rocks in tight turns. The sliders were tight alongside the body. If the offset angle isn't steep enough then they can get hung up going through rock gardens. Most all were round tubed which helps with rolling off rocks if they got hung up. A few shops made square tubed and still do but round tube still rules most of them. At least for true rock sliders.

I don't pivot off rocks much although run into a lot of Canadian Shelf. And a few rock fields where a dozer has opened up a logging trail. Glacial moraine deposits are common here and Canada where I travel and with the freeze thaw cycles rocks and boulders are pushed out of the ground each year. But not my main nemesis trees are. Pretty much every rig I've had since the 70's has had body damage from a tree biting me. From Washington State to Western North Carolina and a few places in between. Including Minnesota and Canada. Lateral slides on icy trails into trees is my main concern and cause of damage.

11 years ago I wanted zero offset sliders for my Tacoma and not many shops made zero offset then and weren't even an option at most places. I found a shop down in Iowa 4X Innovations that was willing to make me a set with zero offset. With tubing and expanded steel mesh as filler plates between the tubes.

22179751805_e7924540df_b.jpg

I also had them built with kickouts. The theory with kickouts is that as you pass a rock rubbing against it the vector of the kickout will push your rig out further so that the rear area of the rig doesn't get hit by the rock. Sometimes works sometimes doesn't. My Taco got a dent in the drivers side rear panel after all LOL. Although it was from a lateral slide on ice. And another damn tree.

Most everyone said going zero offset wouldn't work and I was crazy. Now they are often a standard build. Who knew?! LOL.

Reactions: r2m
Lots a good information on sliders in general and the different brands. I keel flip flopping now between expo one and SDHQ. I do have a mild lift of 2” and slightly bigger tires. I will need to Curfy they are under 33”.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom