The Oz Man Build - 2012 GX460 Base (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I finally decided to create a build post. I have been modding my GX460 since I got it in October of 2020 after I totaled my built 2012 Xterra Pro-4X.

Here are links to previous posts that I made:

Auxbeam 8 channel switch panel:

3rd row seats power tap mod:
(I am still making and selling them so hit me up if you need some)

Rear Cargo area power panel supplied with power by the 3rd row seats power tap:

Mods since I made the last post:
  • Sherpa Equipment roof rack - the Yale
  • Dobinsons IMS 2.5" /3" lift
  • Apache offroad UCAs.
  • AlphaEquipt Echo 17" wheels wrapped with 285/70/17 Falken Wildpeaks Load E
  • Raybestos performance rotors and Akebono ceramic brake pads
  • Rear Diff elevated breather brought up behind the driver tail light.

Lights:
  • Rigid spots on ditch brackets ( Gona be replaced with Diode Dynamics SS3 and SSC1 combos)
  • Diode Dynamics SSC3 amber SAE fogs
  • Diode Dynamics SSC1 floods for rears ( waiting for them to ship in August)
  • Amazon Crap-tacular Scene lights for Sides, individually switched (will be installed with the SSC1s).

Radios:
  • Midland MXT275
  • Baofeng UV-5R
  • Baofeng UV-S9
  • 2 Midland blister-pack walkies for spotting on trails
20210626_111611.jpg

Last edited:
Few mods will be coming up in the near future:
  • LFD hidden winch mount
  • Badland Apex 12K winch
  • Bison Gear rear cargo shelf and drop down table
  • A secret weapon to load and unload the RTT
and more to come.

Stay tuned !

Just for giggles, what do you think of the GX compared to the Xterra? (I think I already know the answer, but what the heck!)

Just for giggles, what do you think of the GX compared to the Xterra? (I think I already know the answer, but what the heck!)
They are 2 different beasts. I loved the rugged interior and exterior of my Xterra and the 4.0 engine was awesome, but I do like the GX a little more. I would 1000% buy another Xterra and SAS it on 37s.

From Poland with Love - Bison Gear cargo Shelf and drop down table
These are a nice inexpensive options as both, including shipping to my door were under $350

Cargo Shelf:
Its pretty sturdy and it looks great and stays out of the rear view mirror line of sight. I mounted my fast grab, Velcro med kit to it so it can be reached from the back and from the rear seats. I will be mounting a scene light to the bottom of it in the future.
20210722_150603.jpg

20210722_150610.jpg

Drop down table:
Nicely built and easily installed. it can hold a decent amount of weight, around 15-20 pounds. I would put this in the same league of Koan table but there are few differences ( the latching mechanism, overall materials, and the "molle" cutouts on the front).
It is bolted to the plastic door cover so its not as sturdy as the Victory 4x4 one, but its almost the third of the price.
20210722_150549.jpg

20210722_150638.jpg

Any modifications to get the DD SSC3 fogs to mount up? Seems hit or miss if they fit the factory mounting.

Thanks!

Any modifications to get the DD SSC3 fogs to mount up? Seems hit or miss if they fit the factory mounting.

Thanks!
No modifications to the bumper it self. I'll take some pictures for you shortly. I had to make crazy brackets for it.

are you happy with the DD fog lights, hows the light output/throw, in hindsight would have chosen a brighter option?

do the new rotors and pads offer more bite and warp resistance from heat?

are you happy with the DD fog lights, hows the light output/throw, in hindsight would have chosen a brighter option?

do the new rotors and pads offer more bite and warp resistance from heat?
I have the DD SSC3 sport SAE. the light pattern output is fantastic and is perfect for a fog light. Honestly, I personally don't need to an brighter from fog lights.

It could be just my personal experience or maybe my calipers need some love, but there is a little bit of warp in the rotors after 6 months of use. stopping power is great though.

I too have always had rotor issues with warping. They stuttered almost ever since I've had it. I've even had the rotors turned once and it helped for a year or so, but it's doing it again. The problem is that I'm NOT hard on brakes! I've gone over a 100,000 miles without ever needing brakes, either pads or rotors.
I'm going to be looking into aftermarket rotors and pads soon. I'm interested in what MrTorgue did.

I too have always had rotor issues with warping. They stuttered almost ever since I've had it. I've even had the rotors turned once and it helped for a year or so, but it's doing it again. The problem is that I'm NOT hard on brakes! I've gone over a 100,000 miles without ever needing brakes, either pads or rotors.
I'm going to be looking into aftermarket rotors and pads soon. I'm interested in what MrTorgue did.
I'll have to check out what MrTorgue did.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom