Expedition One sliders installed (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Bought these in the 4th of July sale and finally got em on. Big fan! The main limitation on these is you can’t run bigger than a 33” tire, but I wasn’t planning on going bigger than that :)

I love how they extend all the way to the edges for a clean look. Disregard my mess up on the back of the trim 🤦🏽‍♂️
IMG_6209.jpeg
IMG_6207.jpeg
IMG_6206.jpeg

Bought these in the 4th of July sale and finally got em on. Big fan! The main limitation on these is you can’t run bigger than a 33” tire, but I wasn’t planning on going bigger than that :)

I love how they extend all the way to the edges for a clean look. Disregard my mess up on the back of the trim 🤦🏽‍♂️
View attachment 3469355View attachment 3469356View attachment 3469357
Extending all the way to the end helps give it a more factory look if you're going for a stealthy off road look. 👍

Those came out great!

I had a similar experience when I installed mine, the rear cut marks were too short, I had test fit everything for size able to correct for it, but to get the right look you need the rear to be a full inch and a half longer than the instruction say.

Also, they seem to work pretty well for protecting the car from side damage, wife took a giant chunk of stucco out of our garage, but the door of the GX was undamaged until the scrape passed the end of the slider and got the door a bit, lol.

(yours eyes don't deceive you, the scrape on the slider is like 2' long, but after a bit of rattle can it looks like new again ;P)

IMG_2784.jpeg

Those came out great!

I had a similar experience when I installed mine, the rear cut marks were too short, I had test fit everything for size able to correct for it, but to get the right look you need the rear to be a full inch and a half longer than the instruction say.

Also, they seem to work pretty well for protecting the car from side damage, wife took a giant chunk of stucco out of our garage, but the door of the GX was undamaged until the scrape passed the end of the slider and got the door a bit, lol.

(yours eyes don't deceive you, the scrape on the slider is like 2' long, but after a bit of rattle can it looks like new again ;P)

View attachment 3473231
I'm to the point where I believe in my heart that REAL metal sliders should be standard on vehicles. And that they protrude far enough out to catch things like idiots in parking lots swinging their doors open, minor scrapes along garages, and if necessary life/damage saving protection from a side impact.
They're not just for sliding over obstacles on trails.

Expedition One, up to 30% off sale is now live. Those sliders are looking better and better!
Not crazy about the silver Al top plate, but those could just be powdercoated?

Expedition One, up to 30% off sale is now live. Those sliders are looking better and better!
Yup, you can powder coat, but that'll just about cost you your 30% savings.
Or you can rattle can it and try not to step on the so the paint doesn't rub off...

Yup, you can powder coat, but that'll just about cost you your 30% savings.
Or you can rattle can it and try not to step on the so the paint doesn't rub off...
Actually just heard back from Exp 1, they said to powder coat the top plate would be $50.

Yeah the silver top plate could be painted easily, but it isn't as noticeable as you would think.

Dang, wish I got 30% off them, lol.

These ones bolt on, it's pretty easy. I do like the frame interfaces they use, it's extremely wide so it distributes the load well. Also they use basically every bolt spot available which is a good practice for something that you are theoretically going to out your entire cars weight on.

Yeah the silver top plate could be painted easily, but it isn't as noticeable as you would think.

Dang, wish I got 30% off them, lol.

These ones bolt on, it's pretty easy. I do like the frame interfaces they use, it's extremely wide so it distributes the load well. Also they use basically every bolt spot available which is a good practice for something that you are theoretically going to out your entire cars weight on.
Any issues with installing the sliders on the drivers side with the KDSS on the frame?

Any issues with installing the sliders on the drivers side with the KDSS on the frame?
Have to trim the KDSS valve cover. Not difficult and noted in the instructions. A couple holes in the sliders didn’t perfectly align with the frame and it was a bit of a bear to get the drivers side in place behind the ridged lines by myself.

Just go slow. Trimming the skid is trivial with a cutoff wheel. It's a beefy chunk of metal so just make sure to wear your safety glasses.

Then you have slide the slider between the kdss lines and the frame. Not too hard, you just want to proceed carefully since they are hydraulic lines.

Edit: Forgot to mention that the KDSS skids didn't take as much trimming as indicated in the slider install instructions, especially the skid covering the KDSS pump. I should have taken photos, but just line up the skids and take off a bit at a time until they fit.

Installed my set yesterday with the help of my local LC club. As others have stated, these steps are well made and solid, with all holes lining up precisely with frame holes. I had Expedition One powder coat the tread plates for me and I'm happy with the overall look. For the OEM step trim, the template provided was a big help figuring out the cuts. The best part of the design of these full step sliders is that they hide the trimmed sections, so even if you don't have a clean and even cut, you will never see it (as you can see in photos below).
For the slider install, the driver's side is a bit of a bi#ch. We ended up removing all the fasteners holding the KDSS lines and pump to the frame rail in order to slip the sliders underneath and secure in place. Definitely helps to have an extra set of hands here. The passenger side was much easier. We had to chase the threads on that side first as there was just enough corrosion in my frame rail threads to cause issues.
Reuing the existing wiring loom to hook up the slider lights was easy enough and another nice feature of these sliders. You cut off the OEM lights and connect to the new lights provided by Expedition One. Securing the wiring loom on the passenger side is a bit tricky as there aren't many places to ziptie it to. I need to put some thought into how to better secure the loom in this area.

IMG_0199.jpg

IMG_0204.jpg

IMG_0203.jpg

IMG_0202.jpg

IMG_0201.jpg

Last edited:
Installed my set yesterday with the help of my local LC club. As others have stated, these steps are well made and solid, with all holes lining up precisely with frame holes. I had Expedition One powder coat the tread plates for me and I'm happy with the overall look. For the OEM step trim, the template provided was a big help figuring out the cuts. The best part of the design of these full step sliders is that they hide the trimmed sections, so even if you don't have a clean and even cut, you will never see it (as you can see in photos below).
For the slider install, the driver's side is a bit of a bi#ch. We ended up removing all the fasteners holding the KDSS lines and pump to the frame rail in order to slip the sliders underneath and secure in place. Definitely helps to have an extra set of hands here. The passenger side was much easier. We had to chase the threads on that side first as there was just enough corrosion in my frame rail threads to cause issues.
Reuing the existing wiring loom to hook up the slider lights was easy enough and another nice feature of these sliders. You cut off the OEM lights and connect to the new lights provided by Expedition One. Securing the wiring loom on the passenger side is a bit tricky as there aren't many places to ziptie it to. I need to put some thought into how to better secure the loom in this area.

View attachment 3527107

View attachment 3527108

View attachment 3527109

View attachment 3527110

View attachment 3527111

Thanks for posting that! Now you have me wondering if I shouldn't call them tomorrow and have the aluminum powder coated on mine as well. I passed on that when I ordered mine figuring I could always have them done after the fact, or even Line-X.

I have black TRD Pro wheels, now you are making me second guess my decision LOL

53380755273_289d88b3f5_b.jpg

Thanks for posting that! Now you have me wondering if I shouldn't call them tomorrow and have the aluminum powder coated on mine as well. I passed on that when I ordered mine figuring I could always have them done after the fact, or even Line-X.

I have black TRD Pro wheels, now you are making me second guess my decision LOL

53380755273_289d88b3f5_b.jpg
Yep, would look great on your truck!

View attachment 3527107

View attachment 3527108

View attachment 3527109

View attachment 3527110

View attachment 3527111
I like that they are full length and don't come short on both ends.
It seems many tube style are short about 3" or 4" on both ends.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom