Events/Trails Pig Party 2021💥🎉💥 (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Duh, looking like Utah and Nebraska are part of the trail

Got to love paper maps, they go well with pigs. I'm afraid our trip will not be as exciting, hard to get lost going across Nebraska.
When I drove from New York to Utah for college in 1983 I thought that Nebraska would never end. What I did learn was what a beautiful country we have and that I NEVER needed to go back to NY.

Ok so here is a tentative plan....

Friday ,June 25th meet in Custer, SD at noon, at the 1019 N 5th St. (Forest Service Supervisor Office). We can meet earlier in the morning but we didn't know if everyone would be able to make an early morning departure time.
-This is only a few miles from Crazy Horse Monument so we thought we would show you that for a bit then head west into the high country by gravel.
-Planning on dispersed camping that night near or around Deerfield lake area. We will check a few Forest Service campgrounds in the area hoping we can have a fire. If not we are bringing a propane fire pit.

Saturday, June 26th Get up at our leisure, drive to the north end of Custer State Park, hike into the Spokane Ghost mining town (very light 1/4 mile hike).
-Drive the Pigtail bridges and needles highway to Mount Rushmore. Admire the faces for a bit. We will have to decide how long you want to stay at Mount Rushmore.
-Drive north on gravel get into the Castle Peak/Rochford area to camp for the night. Again hoping to possibly land in a designated campground for a fire. If not, dispersed camping in the area.

Sunday June 27th, Drive to the top of Custer Peak
-North to Galena and check out the Galena Cemetery
-Two track to Boulder Canyon/ Camp 5 area.
-End in Deadwood, SD for either another night of camping in the area or get a hotel and a hot shower. Hotels maybe limited that time of year so look into booking one ahead of time. Surrounding towns within 20 min. drive that will have lodging also are Sturgis, SD and Spearfish, SD. Also maybe a nice bite to eat at one of the Restaurants.

Understand, all of this we are willing to play by ear. If you guys want to stay somewhere longer or maybe see something we don't have listed here we can always change things up. Also if you want to venture off on your own your more then welcome to meet up with us at the end of the day.

We use primarily HAM radios for communication. Cell service is patchy in most of these areas. We will go through areas with fuel and food about once a day. I would get a Black Hills Forest Service trail permit online before you arrive. I assume you will have more questions just message me or @Redgrrr.

I am excited to help lead a nice group of legendary Iron around the Black Hills!

Last edited:
Check out the Pine Ridge in the North West corner of Nebraska. Very Scenic. The Sand Hills are also very cool.
Sounds like you guys will have a great time, so good to have local knowledge helping organize.

Thanks for your help. Looking forward to a great time.

Check out the Pine Ridge in the North West corner of Nebraska. Very Scenic. The Sand Hills are also very cool.
We may do that coming or going. My late father-in-law grew up in Rushville.

Wow wow wow

sounds like a stellar intro to SD

thanks for all the effort

Ok so here is a tentative plan....

Friday ,June 25th meet in Custer, SD at noon, at the 1019 N 5th St. (Forest Service Supervisor Office). We can meet earlier in the morning but we didn't know if everyone would be able to make an early morning departure time.
-This is only a few miles from Crazy Horse Monument so we thought we would show you that for a bit then head west into the high country by gravel.
-Planning on dispersed camping that night near or around Deerfield lake area. We will check a few Forest Service campgrounds in the area hoping we can have a fire. If not we are bringing a propane fire pit.

Saturday, June 26th Get up at our leisure, drive to the north end of Custer State Park, hike into the Spokane Ghost mining town (very light 1/4 mile hike).
-Drive the Pigtail bridges and needles highway to Mount Rushmore. Admire the faces for a bit. We will have to decide how long you want to stay at Mount Rushmore.
-Drive north on gravel get into the Castle Peak/Rochford area to camp for the night. Again hoping to possibly land in a designated campground for a fire. If not, dispersed camping in the area.

Sunday June 27th, Drive to the top of Custer Peak
-North to Galena and check out the Galena Cemetery
-Two track to Boulder Canyon/ Camp 5 area.
-End in Deadwood, SD for either another night of camping in the area or get a hotel and a hot shower. Hotels maybe limited that time of year so look into booking one ahead of time. Surrounding towns within 20 min. drive that will have lodging also are Sturgis, SD and Spearfish, SD. Also maybe a nice bite to eat at one of the Restaurants.

Understand, all of this we are willing to play by ear. If you guys want to stay somewhere longer or maybe see something we don't have listed here we can always change things up. Also if you want to venture off on your own your more then welcome to meet up with us at the end of the day.

We use primarily HAM radios for communication. Cell service is patchy in most of these areas. We will go through areas with fuel and food about once a day. I would get a Black Hills Forest Service trail permit online before you arrive. I assume you will have more questions just message me or @Redgrrr.

I am excited to help lead a nice group of legendary Iron around the Black Hills!
Awesome stuff!
Thank you guys!

At this point in time it is on my agenda. so count me in. Started Going through my gear to keep the load light and essential. Essential being a loaded word. A keg of tequila, NOT. A giant rotisserie to roast a pig, UNFORTUNATELY not. Alternators have been my achilles heal so that and a few tools will be essential.

Going north to Truckee then East to bypass Vegas. 1,731 miles to Custer, not that far compared to the long haulers from the East side of the continent in past PP’s. For the return trip, go south to the border the west.

cheers

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom