What Did You Do with Your 80 This Weekend? (76 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Friday counts as the weekend right.... a few days ago I noticed a slight hesitation and stumble on acceleration, right around 1800 rpm's. It seemed to get worse after a long interstate drive. The next night while making a quick grocery run the old girl suddenly lost power and started shaking and bucking real bad while the engine light started flashing and she threw a p0303. I went ahead and picked up a set of plugs and wires and also ordered a cap, rotor, and ignition coil. This morning I checked my intake tube for cracks and checked the engine wiring harness by the EGR. No problems there so I proceeded onto the plugs and wires.

Which one if these plugs is not like the others....
20201224_125257.jpg

The boots on plug 3 and 4 seemed to be deteriorating compared to the others and the boot for 3 even had some holes in it.

20201224_161817.jpg

Here are the old plugs 1 - 6 from left to right.

20201225_122445.jpg

I just finished putting it back together and hopefully the problem is solved. The old plug wires seemed pretty bad. 3 of them were missing the plastic clips on the distributor side and the other 3 cracked and fell off as soon as I touched them. I really hope she is good to go because I got a Grand Canyon trip planned for next week.

Friday counts as the weekend right.... a few days ago I noticed a slight hesitation and stumble on acceleration, right around 1800 rpm's. It seemed to get worse after a long interstate drive. The next night while making a quick grocery run the old girl suddenly lost power and started shaking and bucking real bad while the engine light started flashing and she threw a p0303. I went ahead and picked up a set of plugs and wires and also ordered a cap, rotor, and ignition coil. This morning I checked my intake tube for cracks and checked the engine wiring harness by the EGR. No problems there so I proceeded onto the plugs and wires.

View attachment 2534875

The boots on plug 3 and 4 seemed to be deteriorating compared to the others and the boot for 3 even had some holes in it.

View attachment 2534878

View attachment 2534882

I just finished putting it back together and hopefully the problem is solved. The old plug wires seemed pretty bad. 3 of them were missing the plastic clips on the distributor side and the other 3 cracked and fell off as soon as I touched them. I really hope she is good to go because I got a Grand Canyon trip planned for next week.

Ha! That actually looks like rodent damage on the spark plug boots. They like to chew on rubber, so you might also check other wiring in the area.

I sure hope you didn't put Bosch plugs back in...

Ha! That actually looks like rodent damage on the spark plug boots. They like to chew on rubber, so you might also check other wiring in the area.

I sure hope you didn't put Bosch plugs back in...

I was kind of thinking that same thing, but I have never had issues with rodents in a vehicle and I drive it daily. But the PO stored it outside and only drove it a few times a year so that could very well be old rodent damage. I have never seen any thing else to indicate rodents including turds but who knows lol. And no I did not put Bosch plugs back in, I put in whatever Napa sold me, I think they were NGK V-power.

Now I am curious, what is wrong with the Bosch plugs? Should I be concerned that they were in my rig?

Anyways I got out for a decent test drive and she seems to be back to normal.

Disaster averted eh?

I mean you know, I’m not leaving for a trip, on the road or in the woods, crap I don’t even have plans to leave the house for a month! There’s beer in the fridge and “special” holiday brownies in the kitchen. Could be worse right?!

X2 on this. I just rebuilt all four of my calipers and had some pitting in the cylinder bores just like you. But that has nothing to do with the seal. My pistons were fine and that and the rubber seal ring are all that matter in terms of keeping brake fluid inside the calipers. I vote rebuild and go since you already have them apart. Your call though.

haha. I already got the remans, and because I’m feeling jolly I rebuilt the remans with the OEM seals I had, at least I know there’s hood parts in there now! I know, I know. That’s nuts. Whatever!

you have part numbers? I was thinking about an extra set to put away.

Unfortunately they only come in white and green now. I ordered them in white, disassembled them and had them painted black . Still worth it in my opinion. You don’t realize how beat up your mirrors are until you have a brand new one in your hands. One of mine had already been through the shaky and floppy mirror fix. Also took care of the last of the wind noise from that area of the door. 87910-60190-08 and 87940-60130-08 are the ones I used.

Unfortunately they only come in white and green now. I ordered them in white, disassembled them and had them painted black . Still worth it in my opinion. You don’t realize how beat up your mirrors are until you have a brand new one in your hands. One of mine had already been through the shaky and floppy mirror fix. Also took care of the last of the wind noise from that area of the door. 87910-60190-08 and 87940-60130-08 are the ones I used.

Yeah I bought a set a year ago when I first got my cruiser. The driver was a cheap Chinese knock off and the passenger was broken to hell and back. Glad I got some oem ones while I could. I’m sure those will look great all shiny and new!

I’ve been gathering parts for a tune up on my 97 LX. Christmas break is the perfect time to bust into it. This motor is nasty so cleaning up the valve cover and giving it a fresh coat of paint along with a new gasket and seals is a priority.

AC2A8A69-89E2-44C3-9C3A-EA430C8EF918.jpeg

BB0F7E05-B376-44C7-90E5-559884CBD27D.jpeg

A0ED16D8-5B5B-438C-982F-56EFDEE6020A.jpeg

39EFF597-491E-4262-8027-4E5AD8662BB4.jpeg

Battery died this weekend and wont take a jump. It's a 24/27F (i.e. stock size). I don't have a winch or fridge or really anything much going on electrical-wise except an ocassional air compressor. I do daydream about getting a fridge in the center console though. Not sure if it will ever happen.

I was planning on upgrading to a group 31 eventually, but I have to move a trailer today and don't really have time for a project or to hunt for longer hooks/tie downs etc.

Can anybody offer me some encouragement? I.e. . "I installed a group 31 and it only took me 10 minutes to do this or that?"

From my understanding I will need a bigger tie-down bar (I have angle iron I can use), longer J-hooks and I will probably need to cut some plastic out of the battery box or off the battery case itself.

Or should I just stop at wally world get a 27f and call it a day?

What does mud think?

Battery died this weekend and wont take a jump. It's a 24/27F (i.e. stock size). I don't have a winch or fridge or really anything much going on electrical-wise except an ocassional air compressor. I do daydream about getting a fridge in the center console though. Not sure if it will ever happen.

I was planning on upgrading to a group 31 eventually, but I have to move a trailer today and don't really have time for a project or to hunt for longer hooks/tie downs etc.

Can anybody offer me some encouragement? I.e. . "I installed a group 31 and it only took me 10 minutes to do this or that?"

From my understanding I will need a bigger tie-down bar (I have angle iron I can use), longer J-hooks and I will probably need to cut some plastic out of the battery box or off the battery case itself.

Or should I just stop at wally world get a 27f and call it a day?

What does mud think?
I don't have a group 31, I think mine is a group 36? Anyway, I'm fairly certain it is larger than stock. It still fits inside the stock battery box but it doesn't fit the "tray" in the bottom. Hasn't been an issue for me other than the fact that it's a snug fit.

View attachment 2534875

View attachment 2534878

View attachment 2534882

Looks like a mouse got in under your hood... Little rat bast@rds!

Reactions: KTP
I was kind of thinking that same thing, but I have never had issues with rodents in a vehicle and I drive it daily. But the PO stored it outside and only drove it a few times a year so that could very well be old rodent damage. I have never seen any thing else to indicate rodents including turds but who knows lol. And no I did not put Bosch plugs back in, I put in whatever Napa sold me, I think they were NGK V-power.

Now I am curious, what is wrong with the Bosch plugs? Should I be concerned that they were in my rig?

Anyways I got out for a decent test drive and she seems to be back to normal.

The "best" spark plugs are what were designed for the engine in the first place. Bosch plugs have been known to cause misfires in Japanese vehicles and those ones with the extra ground electrodes really have no advantage. :meh:

The "best" spark plugs are what were designed for the engine in the first place. Bosch plugs have been known to cause misfires in Japanese vehicles and those ones with the extra ground electrodes really have no advantage. :meh:
Just put in properly gapped OEMs with a new rotor, cap, and wires. She purrrrrrrrrrrrin'...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom