replacing AHC globes/accumulators (3 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

I bought my 4 OEM globes off a seller in Japan for about 1100 before a 15 or 18% eBay bucks promo. Got them in a few days as well.

Hi all, I experienced quite a bad road transfer so I flushed my ahc system and did a drive test but there was no difference. During the flushing with vehicle on low mode, the amount of fluid coming out from the front was probably about a quarter of a litre but the rear one was about one litre with lots of bubbles in the fluid. Is this the indication of bad rear globe or should I change all 4? And how do I test if the globe is faulty?

Hi all, I experienced quite a bad road transfer so I flushed my ahc system and did a drive test but there was no difference. During the flushing with vehicle on low mode, the amount of fluid coming out from the front was probably about a quarter of a litre but the rear one was about one litre with lots of bubbles in the fluid. Is this the indication of bad rear globe or should I change all 4? And how do I test if the globe is faulty?

I would certainly change all four if you intend to keep the vehicle. Even if only one has ruptured...the others can't be far behind.

My AHC was riding really rough and bouncy for past few months. Thanks to the great info in this thread I was able to find a source for the globes, wrench frompep boys, and instructions to replace globes. The truck is so smooth again, like a brand new truck. Love the AHC.

Can the 16 step check determine if one globe is faulty?

I have 10 L->H graduation lines and my pressures are in spec, but I'm paranoid that one globe is ruptured. Rough ride

Went yesterday to harvest 4 globes. Unfortunately what was there Thursday was gone Saturday. I did stop at Auto Zone on the off chance they might have some sort of wrench to aid in Globe removal. So while I missed out on globes I did score a b👁tchin’ wrench. The smaller head is a 36mm, wrench is 4.2mm thick. $25
33F46B22-96DB-4ABA-8075-A504FAD4A4B1.jpeg
image.jpg

Hammer and chisel is a great inexpensive way to get globes off.

I've read through this thread front to back a few times. Removing the globes, I found a bit of a PB Blaster bath, followed by firm pressure with a strap wrench while tapping with a 5lb hammer was enough to break the rust loose. Our '06 LC has had an intermittent AHC fluid leak issue that was suddenly and dramatically worse in the passenger rear area.

All 4 globes were 2006 date codes (originals), so we went the route of the jdmplanet seller from EBay, which seems like the best price for a full OEM set. Arrived faster than expected, went in way easier than they came out. Our plan is to re-bleed on the new globes, and then chase subsequent leaks knowing that the globes aren't the issue.

When the old ones are off the truck, what do people do with these? Doesn't seem like there's a way to reliably test whether they're even reasonable to keep as spares.

What globe part numbers did you use?
There is (I think) a way to check if the inside rubber bladder is still good. You slowly push a #2 pencil into the globe to see if the bladder is still on one piece and flexible. Something like that. Where was the leak? How many miles? Check the line running over the top of the rear axle for any rust or leakage aswell.

Just received 4 new globes from Impex in Japan, $636.81 for the globes, $89.37 for the shipping, $726.18 all in.

Took 14 days from the order to Fedex pulling into a driveway where I am doing the work in North Carolina.

Last edited:
Just received 4 new globes from Impex in Japan, $636.81 for the globes, $89.37 for the shipping, $726.18 all in.

Took 14 days from the order to Fedex pulling into a driveway where I am doing to work in North Carolina.
Link to the globes you purchased? Are they the OEM Toyota pieces?

That's a steal. I bought OEM units from JDM Planet on eBay for somewhere in the $900 range and I thought that was a great deal!

I got three globes off with little effort but the fourth won’t budge. Hit it with more PB blaster and we’ll see the morning. May have rounded the corners on the globe trying to turn it and I can’t get my metal strap wrench in there. 😤

Take a hammer and chisel to the fattest part of the globe in a counterclockwise direction and it will spin right off

Take a hammer and chisel to the fattest part of the globe in a counterclockwise direction and it will spin right off

Well, this really made my day. Got the last one off this morning.

Graduations test now at 15 (at least), all the looseness in the car handling is gone, and unexpectedly, my rear end is now in sync - the driver's side had been lower.

Job was not that hard (for an obvious beginner). Toughest part was getting the new globes into the threads.

How much fluid did you use?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom