replacing AHC globes/accumulators (6 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Any signs of shocks leaking fluid?

I've had the rig a year and 20k miles with no issues. Last month the ahc fluid was a quart low and the ride got really bouncy in the front. I have flushed the fluid with toyota ahc. But that b&b sphere will not come out without unmounting the accumulator or the mount. It is much taller than a stock.
Did you take the rubber boot off the height accumulator and try removing the sphere? If I can fit a rear accumulator on the front then that sphere should come out. Guarantee they didn’t move anything when it was screwed in so it should come out the same way.

The bolts on the accumulator were greased I believe its been moved. Ill get some better pictures. I dont see a rubber boot on the solenoid.

The bolts on the accumulator were greased I believe its been moved. Ill get some better pictures. I dont see a rubber boot on the solenoid.
looking at your photos with a better resolution screen and it appears as if the rubber boot that’s suppose to cover the height accumulator solenoid is MIA. The height accumulator has four bolts holding it to the frame rail, two horizontal inner facing and two top down. If you’re convinced something needs to be moved to remove the aftermarket damper accumulator then probably better to try the height accumulator because if you unbolt the damper assembly without pre loosening the damper accumulator then there’s a good chance you’ll twist/rupture the hydraulics lines going into it as you attempt to unscrew it.

B&B vs Pleiades

R4gMjCG.jpg

I got the drivers side globe replaced. It took about 2hrs... had to loosen the globe mount to get the B&B globe out. There was no room. Previous installer even cut the running board bracket to fit it.

Date on the old globes were 2011 so they are about 7 years old.

vjBRTaj.jpg

New globe installed and bled...

Front rides better..

UZ8XtgW.jpg

What a pain.. off to the rears....

Thanks to everyone on this post (and a few other posts) for helping me get this job done. Went as well as it could and my ride is 1000 times better. Before this fix, i felt every bump in the road. Thanks again!!!

For the best ride and least amount of 'road transfer': In addition to changing out failed globes, springs, flushing the system and adjusting front and rear pressures, you should also inspect all of your rubber bushings (I.E. shocks, sway bars, body mounts, etc...) they are the final link between the suspension and the chassis/body.
My 98 hdj101 LC will not hold pressure every time I put to high, will go back to N after a couple of minutes drive . Will that be my globe problem and how to check which globe. Any one can help me?

My 98 hdj101 LC will not hold pressure every time I put to high, will go back to N after a couple of minutes drive . Will that be my globe problem and how to check which globe. Any one can help me?

The system is designed to return to (N) from 'high' position if you exceed a certain speed.

The system is designed to return to (N) from 'high' position if you exceed a certain speed.

Thanks for the heads up on that, I noticed the same thing on my LX. I assumed it was operating as intended but I meant to ask.

Thanks for the heads up on that, I noticed the same thing on my LX. I assumed it was operating as intended but I meant to ask.

The normal actuation (as concerns speed) is as below:

AHC modes.png

There is a device available that allows you to override (manually control) the height settings.
The vehicle should stay in whatever height mode you select (assuming all else is well with the system).

Slee Offroad AHC override.

http://www.sleeoffroad.com/installation/ahc_controller_v1.1.pdf

The normal actuation (as concerns speed) is as below:

View attachment 1793166

There is a device available that allows you to override (manually control) the height settings.
The vehicle should stay in whatever height mode you select (assuming all else is well with the system).

Slee Offroad AHC override.

http://www.sleeoffroad.com/installation/ahc_controller_v1.1.pdf
This is a great information, thank you very much for that. But the other problem is that the ride is quite rough no matter if the shock it is selected to confort , medium or sports. It almost feels like a solid shocks. Will this be a problem with my globes and how do I identify which one, or it might only needs ahc fluid change

This is a great information, thank you very much for that. But the other problem is that the ride is quite rough no matter if the shock it is selected to confort , medium or sports. It almost feels like a solid shocks. Will this be a problem with my globes and how do I identify which one, or it might only needs ahc fluid change

Some folks have reported improved ride after flushing and replacing the AHC fluid. But if your vehicle is very old and the globes are original...chances are one (or more) have lost their Nitrogen charge. There is a bladder inside the globe that is filled an inert gas that provides the dampening effect.

Some folks have reported improved ride after flushing and replacing the AHC fluid. But if your vehicle is very old and the globes are original...chances are one (or more) have lost their Nitrogen charge. There is a bladder inside the globe that is filled an inert gas that provides the dampening effect.
So in your point of view would it be a good idea to change the globes straight away or do the flushing first?

Highly recommend Pleiades globes in the UK.

I bought two rear globes for $144 each and $60 shipping from the UK to South Alabama in four days. A new Toyota globe is $400-500 each I think. They have worked great.

So in your point of view would it be a good idea to change the globes straight away or do the flushing first?

Flush first since that will need to be done anyway. If that doesn't solve your problem start looking at globes. It isn't likely to be just one. An option is to replace the AHC system with a standard coil spring, torsion bar and shock system for a unit without AHC.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom