Got into a minor accident with my truck and insurance says it’s a total loss. (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

THANK UOU!

You are the real MVP! I was just about to start compiling this list.

My mechanic estimated about 10-12 hours of labor at $100-$120 an hour. So $3000 for parts, $1200 for labor, is what I will take back to the insurance company and tell them they are crazy to total this vehicle.

@Njck22 thank you so much! Would you happen to have the part numbers for the control arms (upper and lower)?
Keep in mind the parts actually work out to be considerably less than the listed MSRP.
Also this list is trumped by whatever the mechanic comes up with. Insurance needs it to come from a reputable individual. But I can’t think of much else they would feel obligated to replace.
Once you hopefully get your payout, you can then have the discussion with the shop about throwing in some of your own money to get upgraded parts. Grey area I’m sure so hopefully there’s a mechanic you have a good relationship with.

upper LH:48630-60010

Once you hopefully get your payout, you can then have the discussion with the shop about throwing in some of your own money to get upgraded parts. Grey area I’m sure so hopefully there’s a mechanic you have a good relationship with.

Once the check is cut, the money is his to with as he pleases. Doesn't even have to go to the truck. Some providers will insist that the funds be made to the repair shop (this is more common if the vehicle has a lien, as a form of protection for the lien holder) but at the end of it, it's the OP's money. If he had a lien, he'd even be able to keep the funds and just continue to honor his loan.

THANK UOU!

You are the real MVP! I was just about to start compiling this list.

My mechanic estimated about 10-12 hours of labor at $100-$120 an hour. So $3000 for parts, $1200 for labor, is what I will take back to the insurance company and tell them they are crazy to total this vehicle.

@Njck22 thank you so much! Would you happen to have the part numbers for the control arms (upper and lower)?

I would encourage you, since the vehicle is somewhat drivable, to go to a reputable body shop and get an estimate. Use the parts list as a sort of checklist but get something in writing from a shop or two. Whether or not you use them later is irrelevant.

Keep in mind the parts actually work out to be considerably less than the listed MSRP.
Also this list is trumped by whatever the mechanic comes up with. Insurance needs it to come from a reputable individual. But I can’t think of much else they would feel obligated to replace.

Thank you sir. Yeah my mechanic and I have a pretty good rapport so that wouldn’t be an issue.

He’s already agreed to install custom bumpers if that’s the way I wanted to go.

So, what bumpers does everyone recommend? I’m want the lightest weight possible as I am not planning to upgrade the suspension and don’t want to deal with too much extra weight.

Alternatively, anyone recently upgraded their bumpers and have some forest green front and rear they are trying to get rid of? :cool:

Last edited:
I would encourage you, since the vehicle is somewhat drivable, to go to a reputable body shop and get an estimate. Use the parts list as a sort of checklist but get something in writing from a shop or two. Whether or not you use them later is irrelevant.

I have a great body shop I’ve used in the past. I will give them a call today to see if they can give me an estimate.

Once the check is cut, the money is his to with as he pleases. Doesn't even have to go to the truck. Some providers will insist that the funds be made to the repair shop (this is more common if the vehicle has a lien, as a form of protection for the lien holder) but at the end of it, it's the OP's money. If he had a lien, he'd even be able to keep the funds and just continue to honor his loan.

I had received a nice bonus at work when I bought it, so I paid in full... so I have the title, no loans.

For the record, I paid $8200 (originally he had it listed for $12k), two years ago. KBB values it between $10k - $14k for private party sale.

Last edited:
So, what bumpers does everyone recommend? I would prefer the lightest weight possible (and closer to stock look) as I am not planning to upgrade the suspension and don’t want to deal with too much extra weight. I do have a TJM winch tray, so I would consider adding that to the front as well, although I don’t have a winch yet. I had planned to try a hidden winch on my OEM bumper at some point.

Alternatively, anyone recently upgraded their bumpers and have some forest green front and rear they are trying to get rid of? :cool:

As the car is over 3 years old, the liable carrier will likely not be required to use oem parts. Fyi.

On a positive note, I found body shops in my area have sources for used original OEM body parts at incredibly reasonable prices. One told me he could buy a rear 1/4 section of a car (to be welded back in) for $300 from a used parts broker in Dallas. This was not just a fender but the 1/2 of the car from the b-pillar back.

They have sources.

I'm seeing a number of 100 series total loss vehicles at Copart auctions around the country, so there is a supply of used parts out there somewhere.
Now where they go after Copart, I have no idea.

So, what bumpers does everyone recommend? I would prefer the lightest weight possible (and closer to stock look) as I am not planning to upgrade the suspension and don’t want to deal with too much extra weight. I do have a TJM winch tray, so I would consider adding that to the front as well, although I don’t have a winch yet. I had planned to try a hidden winch on my OEM bumper at some point.

Lightweight sounds like dissent aluminum front and rears

Last April I got into an accident with my one owner Florida 06 LC, 260K miles but good shape.Geico totaled the car, I paid $9250 for it 6 months earlier I was bracing for a fight. Before I got the offer I checked to buy it back and would part it out, but wouldn’t allow it. They offered me $17K!!! I was able to find a 06 LX for 10,250 in much better condition. They increased the value due to the popularity and scarcity. Wait to hear, may be surprised

As the car is over 3 years old, the liable carrier will likely not be required to use oem parts. Fyi.
Lightweight sounds like dissent aluminum front and rears

Hey, that new Ultra High Clearance / Lightweight bumper from Dissent Off-road is only 95 lbs (55 lbs in aluminum,) but about $1600 for the aluminum one.

I wonder how those would have handled this accident?

Last April I got into an accident with my one owner Florida 06 LC, 260K miles but good shape.Geico totaled the car, I paid $9250 for it 6 months earlier I was bracing for a fight. Before I got the offer I checked to buy it back and would part it out, but wouldn’t allow it. They offered me $17K!!! I was able to find a 06 LX for 10,250 in much better condition. They increased the value due to the popularity and scarcity. Wait to hear, may be surprised

Wow! Well I’m supposed to hear from the “total loss adjuster” today. I am waiting for his call. I will update this thread when I know more.

go get a dissent front bumper. Aluminum. Go all out!

go get a dissent front bumper. Aluminum. Go all out!

I more than likely will get one. I might also get the rear as I dented that one a year ago. We’ll see.

I just snapped a few more pictures. Keep in mind I have a new front skid plate cleaned and painted I planned to replace the current one with, so ignore that rust.

So, does this look like a total loss?

43FB39D9-5E54-4331-8D17-A8E3746C104F.jpeg
7ABA38E7-1F2C-4472-AEDA-2E5480AC72C9.jpeg
7E88F7D4-E803-4130-B605-C2586FBBC2BB.jpeg
1B5E3C4E-6CED-47E9-A3E6-58A8374C0EF9.jpeg
BF4CF20B-ED10-44CB-AF67-3276CA23A509.jpeg

Man, that is total horse s*** calling that a total loss. Hopefully it works out for you. They valued my 1999 LX around $7500 I think it was and totaled it, but I had more damage than that, although my alignment wasn't affected.

I more than likely will get one. I might also get the rear as I dented that one a year ago. We’ll see.

I just snapped a few more pictures. Keep in mind I have a new front skid plate cleaned and painted I planned to replace the current one with, so ignore that rust.

View attachment 2458465View attachment 2458466View attachment 2458467View attachment 2458469View attachment 2458470
I have no idea how that could be considered a total loss. The bumper reinforcement is barely even bent, so very unlikely that any structural (frame) damage occurred. New bumper, fender, corner light (mounting tab probably broken), filler panel, and alignment and probably good to go. ALL of those parts are still available from Toyota; the adjuster is an idiot.

View attachment 2458465View attachment 2458466View attachment 2458467View attachment 2458469View attachment 2458470
Hardly

If the frame tube up front left isn't tweaked, you're looking at front fender, bumper, small insert below headlight. A few grand in wholesale parts, or less in used parts- $500 in paint, $75 for an alignment. Mechanically inspect knuckle, upper & lower control arms maybe outer TRE, or Inner TRE if its leaking at the boots from transfer of energy impact.

Adjuster probably wanted it for himself.......

Do a quick google search on the adjuster. You should have his first and last name. See if he expresses any affinity to Toyota or Land Cruiser. He could be up to something.

Knowledge is power.

I had Dissent post bookmarked

I was saving up for that bumper but that's on hold now since I just purchased a new car since I gave my DD to my in-laws.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom