Insurance wants to total truck - front end damage. Need advice (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Insurance companies seem like a major treat to work with when it comes to cruisers. Knock on wood I don’t have to anytime soon and I feel for your challenges @Jczajka

For the front, just thinking our loud but don’t all those bumper supports cover off if you put on an aftermarket bumper. Maybe like a budget one like a Tjm. Also a bunch of aftermarket radiator and surrounding parts are available from reputable logos like denso so fixing those could be a bit cheaper than oem. If you’re hellbent on oem, impex is way cheap on some things

Seems like ur buddy got ur back on cheaper body and paint so find some fenders and a hood from a wreck and play on!

Just a few random thoughts. Even if the seas parted and they offered you 12k it seems like you got a lot of baseline doll hairs invested

Last edited:
@Pucker5 not looking to recoup everything I put into it just looking to have enough to cover expenses and get a real valuation. If I was to sell my truck before the accident I would think $12-14k would have been a fair Mud price. I'm sure unforseen repairs will pop up as I'm fixing it.

Plan is to find as many good used parts from a wrecker/local sellers as possible order new parts from Partsouq/Impex where the price vs. shipping makes sense and local Toyota dealer who has good prices.

With the higher valuation is it still going to be totaled or are you going to be able to keep a clean title with it?

With the higher valuation is it still going to be totaled or are you going to be able to keep a clean title with it?

No clean title in PA. Only way is to get a salvage title and fix it, and then get a reconstructed title once fix and inspected by a state approved inspection station, and can be driven again.

Cash value to total the truck and get a check is $9725.

If I want to keep it and fix to get an R title, I get my damaged truck back and a check for $7015, once I surrender my title to PA and show proof they sent me a salvage title (which can take weeks, I've read).

Farmers has adjusted the valuation and are now offering $10,074 as the new value of my truck.

Initial valuation was $6762, so up a decent amount.

This was after a little back and forth with me saying their comps were neglected, rusty trucks and me sending real comps from here, BaT, C&Bs, and other sites showing trucks from $12-$16k list/sold prices.

Farmers used DCI Solutions as the valuation company this time. Te comps were two private party listings from AutoTrader and one dealer listing to bring the value up. They also increased the search range to 200 miles.

Farmers said if I'm still not happy I can hire my own independent appraiser to value my truck and then Farmers will hire their own. Those two appraisers will come together and agree on a value, and that is the final offer. No option to discuss or change once they agree. I still think the cash value of the truck should be hirer, based on the how rust free & mechanically up to date my truck was - and what I am seeing trucks sell for on Mud and other enthusiast sites.

I'm not sure if its worth spending the money on hiring my own guy to roll the dice and hope they bring the number above $10k for the value of my truck though.
This is almost my exact experience, except SF made an exception and agreed to do a one sided appraisal. The appraisal was SIGNIFICANTLY higher than book value. An appraiser should cost around $300-400. Just be prepared to sell your truck to the appraiser, tell them why it's worth more than what your ins is offering you. Not all appraisers know the LC market.

Just added this in another thread.

Contact Collision Safety Consultants 704.747.9337 and don't spend more time on it. They'll handle that with your insurance and will do their best to get you the most money possible. Best $ 500 you'll spend.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom