hit a deer this am. insurance assistance (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
i hit a deer this AM, which i figured it was only a matter of time in my area. i've hit one before in another vehicle. we have had them bounce off the sides of more than one cars as well.
it took a real good hit on the low passenger side bumper. immediate heavy grinding and nasty sounds which i expected the deer to be would around the wheel or something awful. pulled over and after inspecting it i determined it was about as good as it could have been for the LC. it snapped the bumper support and somehow didnt break any glass or bend any sheet metal. may have cracked or bruised the grill a bit. kept it running for a while, making sure it wasn't leaking anything and made sure the hood was good and continued to work.

ive always said as soon as i hit a deer in the cruiser it would be a good time to get a front bumper upgrade.

our landcruiser is not a beauty queen. we have used this as a family cruiser since 2008 and have put over 220k miles on it ourselves. its about to turn 305k.
i'll drive it anywhere but its getting a little crusty on the exterior. i slid into a pole in Vermont last winter and decided to fix that front fender myself and am still polishing and messing around with that.

does anyone think i will have any issue getting geico insurance quotes for fixing this and get an aftermarket bumper?

any advice would be helpful before i go too far down the insurance road.

IMG_5259.jpg

IMG_5258.jpg

I would definitely run it though insurance. State Farm will have me send pics in and then give a quote and send a check without any other questions. You can probably get plenty out of insurance to get a nice front bumper and then install yourself. Seems like it missed any damage to the body which is really nice

Reactions: GTV
I would definitely run it though insurance. State Farm will have me send pics in and then give a quote and send a check without any other questions. You can probably get plenty out of insurance to get a nice front bumper and then install yourself. Seems like it missed any damage to the body which is really nice
Just make you you tell them you would like to handle the repairs at a shop of your choice and to have them send a check. I used to have geico and they were very accommodating and it is not fraud or anything to take all the money and go a different route or buy a junkyard front bumper and do the work yourself.

Take detailed pictures including hair from the deer if you find them.

My 2005 is currently at the auto body shop for a deer hit as well. Mine definitely looks worse than yours and the total cost to fix it was a little over $10k. There's a LOT of little tabs and pieces under there that get broken with these types of hits. Well, at least on mine there was. I'd contact the insurance company to submit a claim and let them give you the check directly. That way you can decide what you want to do as far as upgrades and repairs. This is much easier to do if it isn't your daily driver and you're handy with a wrench.

Judging by your hardware selection, I'd guess that you're around aircraft on a regular basis?

My 2005 is currently at the auto body shop for a deer hit as well. Mine definitely looks worse than yours and the total cost to fix it was a little over $10k. There's a LOT of little tabs and pieces under there that get broken with these types of hits. Well, at least on mine there was. I'd contact the insurance company to submit a claim and let them give you the check directly. That way you can decide what you want to do as far as upgrades and repairs. This is much easier to do if it isn't your daily driver and you're handy with a wrench.

Judging by your hardware selection, I'd guess that you're around aircraft on a regular basis?

thank you for the input- and i don't have anything to do with aircraft. what made you mention that?

thank you for the input- and i don't have anything to do with aircraft. what made you mention that?
The bolt and rivet that are holding the fender on, and are now exposed, looks a lot like aviation hardware.

The bolt and rivet that are holding the fender on, and are now exposed, looks a lot like aviation hardware.
ha, good eye. the small one is a 4 or 5M from my mountain bike spare parts.....now that i think about it, i believe it was a rivet that needed to be drilled out. i dont even remember where the larger one came from.
the description of my hardware choices alone should tell you i do not have anything to do with aircraft.

Toyota Certified Shop - Do not do an AI Estimate. This needs to be properly inspected. Have them write 100% OEM Parts, no exception on the estimate. This will put you in the driver seat. A/M parts will be written from Geico, but if you find a non-DRP shop that's Toyota Cert. you can get a very nice repair, and walk away with this in your terms. They will try to steer you to a Geico DRP shop, this is illegal and you will need to remind them.

I will say again, Do not do an AI Estimate.

Definitely take it to the shop of your choice. I didn't have the luxury in a tourist town far from home. They promptly totaled my BMW when I went to the USAA "preferred" shop. As I was rebuilding it over the coming months I found a TON of fraud in that initial
estimate that resulted in the total determination over the threshold. Stuff that was downright never installed on my car, they listed as basic repair cost. If I'd taken it to a normal shop and had the parts sourced at reasonable rates (like I did myself anyway) it wouldn't have been declared totaled and I wouldn't have spent months fighting USAA (who I assert are total crooks). They never did pay and my car is now better than new at my own expense. Just glad it wasn't the 100, at least. Point is, assume neither the shop nor insurance will do the right thing. Google class action car insurance to see the shady things they pull.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom